Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

This run of half decent form is too little too late unfortunately. Our run of 5 points from 3 games is easily our best run of form all season but all it has achieved though is to take us from 11 points behind fourth bottom to 10 points behind.

I genuinely envy those who still hold out hope we can stay up and fair pay to them for having that level of belief. I threw the towel in post Sunderland and despite some decent performances and looking way more solid since the biggest issue now is that we simply don't have the goals in us to win at least half our remaining games.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Wow nothing is going our way is it. When you're out of luck that's when you know you're out of time

It would help obviously if three other sides could have been doing even close to as badly as us. That would have required an unheard of amount of luck though.The facts are that other sides at the bottom aren't doing exceptionally well as I would guess 4th bottom averaging a point a game is about the norm. We have simply been absolutely diabolical and that is the reason we are so far behind. To have any hope of staying up this season I think we'll need 38+ and I doubt we'll get anywhere near that. 30 points may even be optimistic.

13 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Wow nothing is going our way is it. When you're out of luck that's when you know you're out of time

Not really, there comes a point where we actually have to deliver. Swansea pull out a big result in a tough game, something we've been absolutely incapable of doing all season. 

This is the difference, other teams deliver at the right time, we don't.

• Like 1

I also don't think this squad is good enough to beat two of the teams above us next season. I'd accepted relegation, after the speech from fox and Hollis I'm really starting to worry about the long term future of this club. 

One decent goal scorer and we could have beaten both Leicester and Albion and be sitting on 17 points and not seeing quite so many people writing off our chances of survival. These are the fine margins and it is still not too late.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

One decent goal scorer and we could have beaten both Leicester and Albion and be sitting on 17 points and not seeing quite so many people writing off our chances of survival. These are the fine margins and it is still not too late.

Don't forget the points we really should have picked up in the Sunderland and Norwich games.

The problem is that whilst it may not be still 'too late' in the eyes of some fans, it appears to be too late in the eyes of the board. Hence the appointment of Hatchet Hollis and the apparent lack of effort this window to sign players.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

7 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

I agree. Our owner gave up too early. I said earlier Swansea and Newcastle should have enough. We need to catch Norwich and Bournemouth. Next week if we win and they lose gap could be 7 and we play Norwich the week after could be 4 behind. If only we bought a striker start of Jan. Randy has cost us big. What's 10 million or so when you just give up the money of a premier league club. Disgraceful owner and management. I feel for Remi... Never stood a chance. 

• Like 1

Swansea result havent helped. But still we could look at Norwich. If we we win the next two wed be most likely 4-5 points from them. If we draw and win we would be around 7. Still there is a slim chance. 

Wigan stayed the other year by winning couple of games in their last 8. Theyve stayed once by winning their last 2 or 3.

Other teams results are really important especially in our case.

Our target is to win 8 out of 15. Which looks definitly hard. But say 5 out of 11. Thats looks much achievable. Then depending on draws or losses we will need to win 2-3 of our last 4.

Other teams losing could give us the chance in our last few games.

Last season for example, when it mattered for Sunderland theyve pulled wins. Same for Newcastle,Leicester and even us.

To have that chance. We need teams to mess up. We still have couple of 6 pointers. Weve done badly in the first round in them. We might do it rightly this time.

We are still 10 points to 17th. If Chelsea lose then weve gain a point over all teams up to 14th apart from Swansea and Sunderland.

Weve really missed a good chance to close the gap.

Anything is possible, but I feel we've missed the boat now.

We failed to beat Leicester, Norwich, Sunderland and WBA despite them having terrible games and us being the better team.

The defense is much improved even thou it still looks disorganized, but we just can't seem to score any goals or even create more than the odd chance per game.

Our striker is too isolated and not good enough to begin with, the midfield is too static and our wide players can't cross for toffee.

I just don't see enough goals in the current squad to mount a serious attempt to reach the team above us as they will pick up the odd win.

• Like 1

But there is a difference between thinking we 'will' stay up and thinking we 'could' stay up.  Everyone knows it is unlikely and improbable, but NOT impossible.  I don't  care about being disappointed - if that was the case I would have stopped going to villa matches years ago!  I just don't think we  should throw in the towel until it's mathematically impossible  - even if bookmakers or history suggests it is unlikely there are loads of games left.  Who would have predicted Wigan winning the FA cup or Leicester being top of the league - strange things can happen and they usually do towards the end of the season.  Why not go into every game expecting and hoping we can scrap and win and close the gap

Because its easier to accept relegation. We failed to win two winnable games in last two weeks so how does anyone expect us to win the 9 or 10 we need? Not going to happen and our board have practically given up form all the things they have been saying

What winnable games in the last two weeks are you talking about?

I don't even think 38 pts is going to be enough now so our points per game ratio needed for the remaining games is going up all the time. Every game we don't win its going to climb,

Edited by PaulC

Even if we stayed up by the skin of our teeth, Lerner is not going to invest vast amounts of money in the club again, so we would probably go through another season of just maybe. We need money to be spent, that'll win us games, I personally don't care about anything else.

24 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What winnable games in the last two weeks are you talking about?

Yesterday surely? Playing a team who produced no shots on target and hearing some of the other results coming through.

I still think beating Norwich will give us an outside chance as they're still out of the bottom 3 and wouldn't be a million miles from us.

All over if we don't win.

53 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Wigan stayed the other year by winning couple of games in their last 8. Theyve stayed once by winning their last 2 or 3.

Yeah but Wigan had the amazing Charles N'Zogbia coming up to contract renewal time.

If only we could find one of those.

:mellow:

• Like 3

Â