Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

We are not going to stay up!! Anyone thinking we will is just setting themselves up for disappointment. 

I think that we will see our best football and results after relegation is confirmed. I believe that a mixture of relief (no real pressure left on them), wanting to sell themselves to potential buyers and, wanting to stay at the club will be the reason for aforementioned better football and results. 

If we are thinking of buying anyone now we should be looking at the better players from the Championship. Afobe should have been the first one in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't understand your point? We really need Everton to best Swansea. IF that happens, we gained a point.

Dave my point is that people have been going on about all we need to do is worry about our results we don't need help from anyone else and that is quite obviously utter bollocks. Not only do we need to win games we need others to lose and we need them to happen at the same time. Look at yesterday we had some fortune in other results for a change and failed to capitalise. Not only do we need those other results but I order to get true momentum we need to be winning at the same time. 

• Like 1

But there is a difference between thinking we 'will' stay up and thinking we 'could' stay up.  Everyone knows it is unlikely and improbable, but NOT impossible.  I don't  care about being disappointed - if that was the case I would have stopped going to villa matches years ago!  I just don't think we  should throw in the towel until it's mathematically impossible  - even if bookmakers or history suggests it is unlikely there are loads of games left.  Who would have predicted Wigan winning the FA cup or Leicester being top of the league - strange things can happen and they usually do towards the end of the season.  Why not go into every game expecting and hoping we can scrap and win and close the gap

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

But there is a difference between thinking we 'will' stay up and thinking we 'could' stay up.  Everyone knows it is unlikely and improbable, but NOT impossible.  I don't  care about being disappointed - if that was the case I would have stopped going to villa matches years ago!  I just don't think we  should throw in the towel until it's mathematically impossible  - even if bookmakers or history suggests it is unlikely there are loads of games left.  Who would have predicted Wigan winning the FA cup or Leicester being top of the league - strange things can happen and they usually do towards the end of the season.  Why not go into every game expecting and hoping we can scrap and win and close the gap

Because its easier to accept relegation. We failed to win two winnable games in last two weeks so how does anyone expect us to win the 9 or 10 we need? Not going to happen and our board have practically given up form all the things they have been saying

To be honest, a couple of smart signings this window could have made a world of difference. A couple more dynamic, pacey attackers and we would have, for instance, beaten West Brom yesterday. 

There's still time, but the clubs narrow mindedness this window really could cost us if we fail to deliver signings this week. I trust that Garde really wants new players and wants to address our weaknesses, but I suspect the guys 'above' him do not want to the same thing.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

To be honest, a couple of smart signings this window could have made a world of difference. A couple more dynamic, pacey attackers and we would have, for instance, beaten West Brom yesterday. 

There's still time, but the clubs narrow mindedness this window really could cost us if we fail to deliver signings this week. I trust that Garde really wants new players and wants to address our weaknesses, but I suspect the guys 'above' him do not want to the same thing.

The way they were talking about us having parachute payments and being in stronger position next season suggests to me they accepted we are down and are going to utlise the money come the summer. I expect maybe  a loan if we are lucky. expect nothingless than these clueless imbeciles

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The way they were talking about us having parachute payments and being in stronger position next season suggests to me they accepted we are down and are going to utlise the money come the summer. I expect maybe  a loan if we are lucky. expect nothingless than these clueless imbeciles

It's an MBA mentality. 

Just like how major companies reduce 'head counts' by a few thousand in order to deliver more 'value' to shareholders.

I can only conclude that the powers that be want us to go down.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's an MBA mentality. 

Just like how major companies reduce 'head counts' by a few thousands in order to deliver more 'value' to shareholders.

I can only conclude that the powers that be want us to go down.

i dont think they want us to go down, but I think they feel spending any money is  a lost cause as we are so far behind. You even heard Hollis say money was wasted in the summer and slating the players (although he is right) cant have done wonders for their confidencea

4 hours ago, Richard said:

We just need to concentrate on our own results . lol

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't understand your point? We really need Everton to best Swansea. IF that happens, we gained a point.

No, nor do I. 

We do just have to concentrate on our own results. The fact that we didn't get 3 points doesn't change that.

I assume this was just another chance for Richard to have a snidey swipe at the club.

• Like 1

Always makes me laugh when people think parachute payments are gift for buying players! They are to absorb wages of the current crop of players if said relegated team can't get rid of them. To stop clubs going under with a mountain of debt. Most of our parachute payment will be used to do exactly that.

Oh and Swansea have a penalty!

Edited by supernova26

56 minutes ago, Richard said:

Dave my point is that people have been going on about all we need to do is worry about our results we don't need help from anyone else and that is quite obviously utter bollocks. 

Of course it isn't.

Just because we're not going to make it to the right points total doesn't mean we have to get help from everyone else.

People aren't saying "We are going to stay up so we don't need results to go our way"

People are saying IF (and it's a huge if) we get to 40 points then we won't need help from other results. 
The point is the only way other results matter, is if we get ourselves up to the required points total. That's why we don't have to worry about other results.

1 minute ago, supernova26 said:

Always makes me laugh when people think parachute payments are gift for buying players! They are to absorb wages of the current crop of players if said relegated team can't get rid of them. To stop clubs going under with a mountain of debt. Most of our parachute payment will be used to do exactly that.

Oh and Swansea have a penalty!

Championship teams trying to compete may disagree

Surely if teams above us struggle to win e.g likes of Newcastle and Swansea only win a couple of games between now and end of the season and end up on 34 or 35 points we still have a remote chance of staying up. Accumulating another 20 odd points isn't impossible.

However if a few of them go and string wins together then I'd say something like 38 points which has guaranteed safety for us last couple of years would be impossible to get with games running out now.

If you said to me now 34 points would keep us up, I'd still think we'd have a shot at that but we'd obviously needs to turn some of those draws into wins. But beating Norwich, Southampton, Newcastle, Everton, Bournemouth and Swansea would get us 18 points and we'd then need 3 draws which with improved defence is pretty likely. Plus as we saw last season when we beat meek performances from Everton and West Ham it's always a good time to play mid table teams so I'm looking at a fixture like Watford away who'll be safe and on the beach as a possible 3 points.

59 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just like how major companies reduce 'head counts' by a few thousand in order to deliver more 'value' to shareholders.  I can only conclude that the powers that be want us to go down.

They don't want us own, but it may be easier for some.  I said in another post, Steve Hollis has been employed on the basis that we’ll mostly likely be playing in the championship next year.  So from his perspective, there is little downside for Steve Hollis (the man) if we do go down now because it is expected - he's not accountable.  But if he were to go and spend money, and it failed to make an impact, that could damage him in his eyes.  So what will he do?  Well he said on AVTV, “It would be irresponsible to go to Randy and say we need a big chunk of money and we’ll fix this – I could not do that.  So there we have it.  The club will most likely be starved of a striker we need so our man Steve can 'be responsible' and protect his ass, merrily reassuring everyone we should not fear relegation and talking shit about maximizing potential (2+2=5!). 

Edited by Gary Thomas

To be fair if (or when) we're mathematically relegated, it won't be as a result of how we've been playing in the last few games. Remi has definitely made us difficult to beat and if we had a half decent striker from the start, we'd probably be a lower-midtable team.

This is the only thing that gives me a little bit of hope for the future. Most teams that get relegated simply aren't good enough for the PL. This team, including the manager, for the first half of this season definitely fits that mould. Now, I think we're a competent outfit crying out for a finisher, but it's probably too late to save our season.

Players like Ayew, Veretout, Gana and even Lescott are really starting to play well. We have a decent defence that seems happy enough with the man between the sticks. The midfield formation is working well and we have a "no.10" that has both skill and the desire to work his bollocks off.

IF we can get a goalscorer now, we can maybe start to win a few more games before the end of the season. Probably too little too late, but we'd be a team that is PL league standard. 

IF we can subsequently keep that team, including the management, together, whilst clearing out the high earning drains such as Sinclair, Zog, Gabby, Guzan, Hutton, we could be taking a winning PL team into the Championship with lower operating costs, which would give us all the tools we need to bounce straight back. Players like Adama, Clark, Gardner and Grealish would become more important to the squads too.

Two huges IF's  but that's why it's important to get a winning mentality instilled in the team now, and that's why it's important to sign a striker now too. A winning PL team that's relegated because of the first half of the season should piss the Championship. It's the only bit of hope I have and, of course, it's all theoretical. 

• Like 3

There is no way we are staying up, we have to win loads of games and hope the teams above is drop loads of points, but all the teams above us are winning points aswell, Swansea currently beating Everton, it's way too late now for us to survive. We needed to beat west brom yesterday, draws ain't going to help us

Everton not beating Swansea is annoying! The gap to safety still hasn't gotten any bigger or closed in really so that shows we have improved a little...but of course wins are needed. There are still chances and we are definitely playing better - unbeaten in 3 in the league and 5 including cup must help with confidence surely. My mentality is that we have nothing to lose and the players increasing confidence could get us another win in our next game. I live in hope still

Â