Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

That is our recent form. 1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat.

exactly, as I've mentioned before it is not about 'form', if we win 2 or 3 in succession by blind luck or endeavour then the points needed in the other 14 games is markedly less.

We might get lucky, we might deserve it, even if we probably won't.

We're a bit like the patient who came to the doctor complaining that for the last 8 weeks he's had pains in his chest and tingling in his arms.

the Doctor tells him "you've got 16 weeks to live - for our treatment to be successful you need 24 weeks of it - if you'd have come to me 8 weeks earlier......................."

Edited by Grasshopper

That is our recent form. 1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat.

exactly, as I've mentioned before it is not about 'form', if we win 2 or 3 in succession by blind luck or endeavour then the points needed in the other 14 games is markedly less.

Indeed.

I don't think we were lucky against either Palace or Leicester. Any luck (bad refereeing) we had in the Leicester game balanced itself out (bad refereeing).

So we win a couple of games by luck, results go our way too as they have so many times in seasons past, we're 4 points off safety. Then what? Still throw the towel in?

Football is, to quote one of those great football men, a funny old game.

6 hours ago, a m ole said:

we definitely dont deserve it :P

What happens if in 2 games time we are 4 points away from safety? Is it still impossible? The way we're playing right now I would not rule out beating West Brom and Norwich, especially the latter at home. 4 points with 14 games to go doesn't seem so insurmountable does it?

14 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

This is where we disagree - I think we are actually very capable of it. This season has in general, and I'm even including the games under Sherwood, been one where we have lost games because of defensive lapses and a lack of concentration and organisation. I don't think its fair to say that the players have "only been turning up in the 70th minute" - in general I think the effort has always been there, and we have just been undone by an epidemic loss of confidence which has ultimately led to stupid mistakes being made in games. The same people who say we have been lucky to score our goals in our last 2 league games aren't looking back to the games for example against Chelsea or Watford where we were very unlucky for example, or the games at Palace or Sunderland where Guzan has had moments of madness. Alot of our games have had a very fine margin, and unfortunately either because of bad luck or momentary bad play, we've ended up losing games.

I'm not in denial - in all likelihood - we will be relegated this year. However, it is not impossible by any means that we can win our next 2 games and other results go our way, and all of a sudden we are back in it. Imagine if we won the next 2 matches, you would have to then fancy us against Norwich. At that stage we might then be only one victory from safety, albeit with some tough fixtures ahead of us.

Are we capable of winning the next 2 games or the next 3 games? Looking at the opposition, of course we are capable. This is afterall the season where anyone can beat any one. We aren't playing City, United and Arsenal in the next 3 anyway, its WBA, West Ham and Norwich.

Will we win the next 2 games or 3 games - I don't know, but I refuse to say that its impossible, because quite frankly - it simply isn't the case.

14 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

This is where we disagree - I think we are actually very capable of it. This season has in general, and I'm even including the games under Sherwood, been one where we have lost games because of defensive lapses and a lack of concentration and organisation. I don't think its fair to say that the players have "only been turning up in the 70th minute" - in general I think the effort has always been there, and we have just been undone by an epidemic loss of confidence which has ultimately led to stupid mistakes being made in games. The same people who say we have been lucky to score our goals in our last 2 league games aren't looking back to the games for example against Chelsea or Watford where we were very unlucky for example, or the games at Palace or Sunderland where Guzan has had moments of madness. Alot of our games have had a very fine margin, and unfortunately either because of bad luck or momentary bad play, we've ended up losing games.

I'm not in denial - in all likelihood - we will be relegated this year. However, it is not impossible by any means that we can win our next 2 games and other results go our way, and all of a sudden we are back in it. Imagine if we won the next 2 matches, you would have to then fancy us against Norwich. At that stage we might then be only one victory from safety, albeit with some tough fixtures ahead of us.

Are we capable of winning the next 2 games or the next 3 games? Looking at the opposition, of course we are capable. This is afterall the season where anyone can beat any one. We aren't playing City, United and Arsenal in the next 3 anyway, its WBA, West Ham and Norwich.

Will we win the next 2 games or 3 games - I don't know, but I refuse to say that its impossible, because quite frankly - it simply isn't the case.

It's a decent post GeordieVillan but I don't think anyone is claiming it's impossible. Just that it's highly unlikely it won't happen. It's a bit like when you're setting a SMART goal.

Is it Achievable? Yes

Is it realistic? Not at all.

I don't believe the effort has been there one bit fwiw. I think the attitude from the players collectively for the vast majority of the season has been nothing short of a disgrace. 

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

What happens if in 2 games time we are 4 points away from safety? Is it still impossible? The way we're playing right now I would not rule out beating West Brom and Norwich, especially the latter at home. 4 points with 14 games to go doesn't seem so insurmountable does it?

The chances are. 2 wins wouldn't have us 4 points from safety. 

You're looking at it almost as if the other teams games aren't occurring. 

10 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

The chances are. 2 wins wouldn't have us 4 points from safety. 

You're looking at it almost as if the other teams games aren't occurring. 

I'm not; I said it can happen. The teams around us are there because they lose games. It's not even remotely out of the question that they can lose 2 in a row at any point. In fact it's more likely that if we win 2 games that the gap will become 4 points than it is that the gap will remain the same or even more than 4 points.

Just now, Keyblade said:

I'm not; I said it can happen. The teams around us are there because they lose games. It's not even remotely out of the question that they can lose 2 in a row at any point. In fact it's more likely that if we win 2 games that the gap will become 4 points than it is that the gap will remain the same or even more than 4 points.

Course it's not. The chances of all the teams around us not picking up any points are very slim.

If we were to Win next 2 games, we're probably likely to be 6/7 points a drift still. It would be good. It would be a start but it's too much to make up. Because having won 2 games (big if on its own), we're highly unlikely to continue winning after that.

If you consider the last 5 years were looking for arguably the biggest upturn in form across the whole of the sporting world.

Even Leicester - a miraculous upturn in form - were a team with a winning mentality in the not so distant past. Albeit from the championship.

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Course it's not. The chances of all the teams around us not picking up any points are very slim.

If we were to Win next 2 games, we're probably likely to be 6/7 points a drift still. It would be good. It would be a start but it's too much to make up. Because having won 2 games (big if on its own), we're highly unlikely to continue winning after that.

If you consider the last 5 years were looking for arguably the biggest upturn in form across the whole of the sporting world.

Even Leicester - a miraculous upturn in form - were a team with a winning mentality in the not so distant past. Albeit from the championship.

So we're highly unlikely to win, but the other teams aren't? It doesn't have to be all of them, it can just be the 1 or 2 furthest from us/closest to safety (or any combination), say Newcastle and Swansea. If Sunderland or Bournemouth win or draw it doesn't change things much and the gap will be 4 or 5. 

Are you saying that they're not likely to lose 2 in a row (even all of them)? I bet all of the teams down there (apart from maybe Bournemouth) have had more 2+ match losing/winless stretches than they've had winning/unbeaten ones. It's why they're down there after all.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

So we're highly unlikely to win, but the other teams aren't? It doesn't have to be all of them, it can just be the 1 or 2 furthest from us/closest to safety (or any combination), say Newcastle and Swansea. If Sunderland or Bournemouth win or draw it doesn't change things much and the gap will be 4 or 5. 

Are you saying that they're not likely to lose 2 in a row (even all of them)? I bet all of the teams down there (apart from maybe Bournemouth) have had more 2+ match losing/winless stretches than they've had winning/unbeaten ones. It's why they're down there after all.

I'm saying that it's highly unlikely for us to win 2 and them all not to pick up any points.

We're down there too for a reason.

Let's not forget that most of our rivals have amassed nearly dble or more the points we have.

12 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I'm saying that it's highly unlikely for us to win 2 and them all not to pick up any points.

We're down there too for a reason.

Let's not forget that most of our rivals have amassed nearly dble or more the points we have.

Yes but we're slowly finding some form which looks sustainable til the end of the season. I'm not saying it's likely at all but it's definitely possible and achievable and certainly not the foregone conclusion some are making it out to be.

Â