Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

Record low for points for top 4 , record high points to stay up which reflects how much stronger the middle teams have gotten or how much weaker the top teams have gotten depending on which way you look at it.

Can remember in our previous  relegation battles the teams around only ever seemed to win once in a blue moon....the lot around us (or above us) this season seem to win when they require....i never doubted tonight's result. 

• Like 2

Our relegation rivals will win more games before the season is over and lose games too and we'll do the same on both fronts. Unfortunately they aren't going to just conveniently lose every game from now until the end of the season to make it easier for us. We just have to make sure we win more than they do.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Our relegation rivals will win more games before the season is over and lose games too and we'll do the same on both fronts. Unfortunately they aren't going to just conveniently lose every game from now until the end of the season to make it easier for us. We just have to make sure we win more than they do.

yes at least 3 games more

To have any hope of staying up we'd need a couple of teams to have the kind of collapse at the back end of last season that QPR did. After 26 games last season the team 4th bottom had 22 points. Swansea are now 4th bottom with 22 points from 22 games. Unlike the last 4 seasons when 36, 34, 37, 37 points would have kept you up I think it will be 38+ this season. For us to stand any chance for me means taking 26 points from 16 games which is 8 wins and a couple of draws. Unfortunately despite the upturn in form over the last two games I still don't think we have any chance of staying up.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

but if every team in bottom 8 win 5 more games then it means we have to win probably 9 more games to stay up

I know, It's going to be incredibly tough for us. I know we've got to do it ourselves, but seriously it would be a huge help if a few teams in the second half of the season would be as cr*p as we were in the first half of the season.

There is a train of thought that it doesn't matter what clubs around us do as long as we win X games. Well I'm very much afraid that that train of thought is total hogwash. The results they get dictate not only the results we get but also the mood amongst the playing staff at our club. But hey that's me talking as if we still have a chance. We do not. In my opinion we are in a battle for one of three positions now and all we can hope for is we finish 1 or 2 of the three position fight we are in. Personally I think we will finish third by some distance

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but if every team in bottom 8 win 5 more games then it means we have to win probably 9 more games to stay up

Maybe. 

Look, we've all been around football long enough to know that the outlook can change massively in a matter of 4/5 games, never mind 16. You might not think that this team is capable of winning 4 in a row, I would probably agree with you, but 5 from 8? Yeah why not. They look to have a bit of form in their boots, add in a bit of luck and a derby match and who the hell knows. It could look very different at that point, we might be sitting in 18th staring at a 5 point gap with 9 games to play. 

I'm prepared to be disappointed, what I'm not prepared to do is give up. As long as they aren't.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

There is a train of thought that it doesn't matter what clubs around us do as long as we win X games. Well I'm very much afraid that that train of thought is total hogwash. The results they get dictate not only the results we get but also the mood amongst the playing staff at our club. But hey that's me talking as if we still have a chance. We do not. In my opinion we are in a battle for one of three positions now and all we can hope for is we finish 1 or 2 of the three position fight we are in. Personally I think we will finish third by some distance

The more you say it doesn't make it more of a fact. 

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

The more you say it doesn't make it more of a fact. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Maybe. 

Look, we've all been around football long enough to know that the outlook can change massively in a matter of 4/5 games, never mind 16. You might not think that this team is capable of winning 4 in a row, I would probably agree with you, but 5 from 8? Yeah why not. They look to have a bit of form in their boots, add in a bit of luck and a derby match and who the hell knows. It could look very different at that point, we might be sitting in 18th staring at a 5 point gap with 9 games to play. 

I'm prepared to be disappointed, what I'm not prepared to do is give up. As long as they aren't.

thats the thing I hope im wrong but we have won 2 in 22 so I have no hope for 5 wins in 16 never mind 8 :(

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

Of course, if the club and the players dwell on every result every other team in the bottom half gets between now and May (or more likely the end of March) then they will stress and panic and flap. That's precisely why it's a good idea to just focus on our own performances. In any case, I want us to go down playing well and looking like we're a good bet for next season - that's on us, it doesn't require paying attention to anybody else's fixtures. 

• Like 2

Maybe. 

thats the thing I hope im wrong but we have won 2 in 22 so I have no hope for 5 wins in 16 never mind 8 [emoji20]

I get you. I suppose I'm coming at this from a perspective that this is a different side to that 1 win in 20 one. Same personal, but I'm hopeful that the manager has got a grip on them now and that they're fitter, motivated, settled and are far more prepared than they were 2 months ago. So all I'm saying is, who knows. I don't think they'll do it, I'm at about 92% like yourself, but I'm probably trying to approach it from a different angle.

Can we win 9 games and stay up? Unlikely but perfectly possible.

Can we stay up on 34 points? Unlikely but perfectly possible.

Will my 10 game acca come in? Unlikely but perfectly possible.

What I'm trying to say is it's not over until it's over but it's probably over. Don't give up believing until it's definitely over. Over.

• Like 4

I do not think we will be bottom as I think that spot is destined for Sunderland. To stay up we will need 34 - 38 points for me. The most likely clubs to join Sunderland other than us would be Swansea, Norwich and Bournemouth in my opinion, Can we get those extra 22- 26 points? I would be happy to get 22 - 24 and would hope that might prove to be enough. 3 or 4 new signings would help us achieve that but it seems that our "custodian" and his new chairman would prefer to wave the white flag now than spend some money in the hope that would see us stay up. . 

4 minutes ago, KSV said:

Beating West Brom and a few results going our way.. may change perceptions again. Lets see what happens after this weekends fixtures. 

Nail on head. 

That's the nature of league football. Win the next 2 games and as unexpected as it might be, we could be above Sunderland and 5 points off Norwich. It's a funny old game. 

I do think Saturday is a must win, we won't get a better opportunity to turn our away form around. 

Â