Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

I applaud those who think we can turn it around, honestly I do, I find it increadible you can see imagine a scenario that would see us safe.

I just can't get to that myself.

We are cut adrift and despite the last two results we are no closer and have less games to play.

We may have improved marginally under Garde but we are still piss poor. Our points in the last two games have come from hugely fortunate goals when we've looked completely incapable of scoring.

We just can't win enough games and with the very predicable inactivity in the transfer window we are likely to fall further behind some of those sides who have tried to resolve their own weaknesses.

Swansea have been in free fall and yet they remain miles away from us.

We are all but down, the rest of this season just has to be about planning for next year and trying to get some confidence back in the group of players although there are few I'd want to retain next season.

As for Garde I'm far from impressed by him and I don't think he is the right man for next season in the Championship.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I applaud those who think we can turn it around, honestly I do, I find it increadible you can see imagine a scenario that would see us safe.

We are cut adrift and despite the last two results we are no closer and have less games to play.

We may have improved marginally under Garde but we are still piss poor. Our points in the last two games have come from hugely fortunate goals when we've looked completely incapable of scoring.

We just can't win enough games and with the very predicable inactivity in the transfer window we are likely to fall further behind some of those sides who have tried to resolve their own weaknesses.

We are all but down, the rest of this season just has to be about planning for next year and trying to get some confidence back in the group of players although there are few I'd want to retain next season.

As for Garde I'm far from impressed by him and I don't think he is the right man for next season in the Championship.

Spot on totally agree - we are on the road to no where

Still a long way to go so cannot write them off yet. I still feel it is possible IF we can get into the habit of winning games - big IF I know.  Palace was just one step - question now is can we build on that step and string a few wins together. We will know a lot more after WBA and Norwich, and the transfer window.  Win both of those games and buy a decent striker and I would fancy us to get very close.  Lose either one of those and fail to sign a striker and we are not going to do it IMO, although I will live in hope until that fat lady sings.  Whatever happens, I am starting to believe Garde is the man to take us forward.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

This is such a defeatist way of looking at it, especially if you are the Villa manager. As long as there is a chance we have to keep trying to stay up. Even if we end up falling short but come relatively close, it will stand us in good stead for the Championship. Preparing for the Championship is admitting defeat in mid-January when there is so much football left to be played. It still can be done, and I've seen enough from Garde already to show me that if anyone is going to do it, it will be him.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Agree/Understand with the sentiment, but cannot agree with it all. We absolutely dominated possession against Palace and Leicester, we battered them, only thing missing was that final ball and/or cutting edge, it is bleak, but I still hold hope. I think the longer Garde has them, and gets to know them (vice versa), the better we will get. If we fail to stay up then so be it, but I doubt we will not go down fighting.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Really? I think Garde is the best thing that could have happened to us when it did. He has the makings of a good manager, and the longer he is with us the better off we'll be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Agree with most of what you have said barring this. Think its unfair to make that assumption until he has signed some of his own players. They are working harder than what they were under Sherwood. Defensively still quite poor but miles better than under sherwood

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think anyone is expecting us to be out of the relegation zone in 4 games time. I personally am just acknowledging the fact that we are playing better now than at any point during the season, we have 3 "winnable" games ahead of us, and there is still plenty of points to play for. Its entirely possible we could lose the next 3 games, but in the same breath its possible we could win all 3 or win 2 and draw 1 - and if we did put a run of 3 results together, there is no way all of the teams above us will remain the same distance ahead of us. We need to chip away at the deficit every week so that we are within touching distance with ideally 6 games of the season left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

It's a decent post GeordieVillan but I don't think anyone is claiming it's impossible. Just that it's highly unlikely it won't happen. It's a bit like when you're setting a SMART goal.

Is it Achievable? Yes

Is it realistic? Not at all.

I don't believe the effort has been there one bit fwiw. I think the attitude from the players collectively for the vast majority of the season has been nothing short of a disgrace. 

I agree to an extent - I don't think its SMART goal to say we will be out of the relegation zone in 4-6 games time.

However, its possible/realistic that we can do it in 16 games. If we can somehow win the next 2 games, things might look very different going into the Norwich game.

I like that Garde hasn't given up, but at the same time he is being pragmatic and acknowledging that relegation is a possibility. I think this should be the approach of the fans.

• Like 1

Tom - in the fantasy scenario, if we did win 2 in a row and close the gap to 6 points, say, is it not likely that we will gain a bit of momentum from that and stand a "decent" chance of winning a few more? Another 6 from 14 with a few draws might do it.

"Realistic" doesn't exist in football. It's not a concept the game understands. All it cares about is 90 minutes every week.

Totally understand the negativity, totally. Just not ready to give up myself.

• Like 4

The chances are. 2 wins wouldn't have us 4 points from safety. 

You're looking at it almost as if the other teams games aren't occurring. 

I'm not; I said it can happen. The teams around us are there because they lose games.
strictly speaking, there aren't any teams "around" us - only above us. And two wins would only just get us about level with 19th place. The teams we need to be looking to overhaul - Swansea, Norwich and Bournemouth - patently are winning a proportion of their games at present, that's why they are 10-12 points ahead of us.

There are a few comments about not "giving up".

I don't think it's appropriate language to use about fans. It's the players, manager and club officials who have to make the effort. As fans we all hope for better things and would love to see a miraculous recovery. It's just a question of how realistic you think that is.

In reality, a miracle is a minuscule bit nearer than a couple of games ago, no more.

I really really hope we stay up...BUT  to stay up we need to finish above 3 teams.I can see us overtaking Sunderland without too much trouble but which 2 teams are going to finish above Sunderland and below us ? 

I would have thought in a conversation about bridging the gap to those above us, the requirement for them to drop points would really go without saying.  It doesn't matter what we do if we're not getting more points than those above us.  That also makes a mockery of this silly notion that only we can get ourselves out of this.  No, we need to do our bit AND we need our rivals to slip up.  Both things must happen.  If one thing OR the other doesn't, then we're f***ed.

Having said all of that, the muck immediately above us does seem to have an annoying habit of picking up unexpected wins.  The sooner the big boys in the league start to act like it against our rivals, the better for us.

But again, in case it's not inferred, yes the odds are stacked stacked stacked against us getting out of this mess.  We're relying on a footballing miracle.  A never-before-done miracle from a Premier League point of view. 

• Like 1

Bournemouth have only got one win since a while. Against a team which had three wins vs Utd when they were in their worst form. Against a miserable Villa. Red carded Southampton.

They arent pulling trees. Nor Sunderland who are winning by luck everytime.

People keep saying we had our 4 points by luck. Yet we deserved it more than all these teams. 

We are lacking goals. But to say we are getting points by luck and forget the real lucky teams, thats unfair.

Â