Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Most of the players weren't complete unknowns though and we saw some of these players play very well towards the end of last season. I'm not saying they're good or even mid-table ability-wise, just that mentality is our biggest weakness. Bournemouth for example do not have a better squad than us, especially not with their injuries, but at the moment they're a much better team and a lot of that is down to the fact that they're quite strong mentally.

Which of these players played 'very well' towards the end of last season?

22 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

I want to know how teams like Bournemouth and Newcastle can get wins against top sides yet we can't. Surely we're due a win today?

Newcastle against Liverpool play a very similar game that we did v Man. City. The difference is they from time to time crossed the halfway line to see what happened and managed to get a goal. We didn't want to and were delighted with a 0-0.

I thought with all the injuries Bournemouth would go down but they seem to have stumbled across something with Stanislas and King. Pace in the final third, another thing we have very little of with Gabby not being bothered and Adama not trusted to start.

A m ole 

I understand your logic and I would also usually see a team go for it but, with this group being so low in confidence right now, I feel a 4,5 or 6 goal tanking is the last thing they need and would be the final nail in the coffin for them. But, if they could keep it tight and, if they did lose it was close in terms of scoreline, maybe it would not be damaging for them. Maybe they could even scrape a draw. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

We need to start winning games like Arsenal at home, which is a pretty dire position to be in.

Yup, that's what is required, we need three points today, other teams around us seem to have a habit of taking points from top sides, about time we started. 

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

A m ole 

I understand your logic and I would also usually see a team go for it but, with this group being so low in confidence right now, I feel a 4,5 or 6 goal tanking is the last thing they need and would be the final nail in the coffin for them. But, if they could keep it tight and, if they did lose it was close in terms of scoreline, maybe it would not be damaging for them. Maybe they could even scrape a draw. 

I get you, I definitely don't think we should be throwing the kitchen sink, but we need to compete in the manner than Bournemouth did yesterday, especially since we need to catch up points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Its not an excuse but we are shit against the top teams at home because Villa Park is a comfortable stadium for them to visit. Great pitch, quiet enough crowd and good facilities

exactly what henry said pre match. once teams go 1 up at the villa the crowd stop supporting their team and get on the players back, his words not mine.

Even the most die hard will have to accept it by the end of the Newcastle game so how about we start predicting who will actually do the deed?

I think it'll be Tottenham.

Edit: Even for us that might be a bit much, Man United probably more likely.

Edited by flamingsombrero

The club needs to start working on a proper plan for the championship now. They need to start looking at who is likely to stay, who will go and what kind of cheap experience we can get in to stop a double drop next year. 

Things need to change from top to bottom. 

We will have a massive target painted in our back down there next year and this squad won't cope with it. 

10 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Even the most die hard will have to accept it by the end of the Newcastle game so how about we start predicting who will actually do the deed?

I think it'll be Tottenham.

That would require a 25 point gap to 17th. Currently it's 8 points after 16 games = 0,5 per game. At the current (horrible) rate it would still not be before Bournemouth in round 33. 

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

does anyone see a way out of this? even when we seem to be performing half-decently we still shoot ourselves in the hip and stumble further down into utter oblivion. 

I've said a few times that the way out is the run of games we've got coming up.

If we've got any chance, it'll start happening next week.

If we reach January without a few wins then it's all over.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I've said a few times that the way out is the run of games we've got coming up.

If we've got any chance, it'll start happening next week.

If we reach January without a few wins then it's all over.

It is time to start winning. I mean we've won one single game all season so I see this as a massive ask from this team. I just don't see how we're going to do a 180 on our current trajectory. Here's to hoping at least..

Well the next 9 games are huge.  If we don't pick up a lot of points in the next 9 then we might break the Premier League record for low points.  Some very winnable fixtures in the next 9. After that it gets tough again. 

Do I think we can survive? No hope. 

Â