Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We don't really try to though do we. Even at two down today aside from a 15 minute spell in the second half, and f**k all to lose, we didn't really go for it. The substitutions were too late and like for like in terms of formation.

We have needed to get a win for weeks. We have though set up both in formation and personnel to contain the opposition. We don't press teams instead choosing to let them have the ball until they get in to our own half. The whole tempo of our play is negative.

This season has shown that the better teams can be beaten non more so than the last couple of weeks with Bournemouth winning against Chelsea and Man Utd, Newcastle against Liverpool and Spurs and West Brom against Arsenal and Liverpool. We started the game with no intensity today simply resigned to defeat.

We are a gutless shambles and anyone pinning their hopes on winning 3 or 4 games over the next three weeks has sadly gone way beyond wishful thinking and is completely letting their hearts rule their heads. We are finished.

No but in that 15 minute spell we hit a couple of shots wide but we can't work anything around the box, other teams today would've scored a goal in the lull period Arsenal had.

All the quality in the attacking third went with Benteke. He was that good. 

4 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I like Garde but bringing him into a relegation battle is quickly looking a bad choice , infact the whole purchasing strategy was a bad choice. We brought in players who would in a mid table team would improve it , with out bunch of cloggers they have come into a mess.

We have got the perfect combination of good inexperienced players and shit experienced players.We have midfield which has what ,50 league appearances between them backed up with players like Hutton , Richardson and Lescott. 

It's shambolic 

This is what I was thinking about Garde as I watched him today. I think he doesn't have a clue how to get us out of relegation.

• Like 2

I think if we play Veretout with either Gana or Sanchez in the middle, then it will allow us to play 3 of Gil, Traore, Grealish, Sinclair behind Ayew or Gestede. I would probably play Gil, Sinclair and Ayew behind Gestede right now, as least you know they put a shift in.

We looked lost when we took Gestede off today. 

Benteke wasn't much help when we got stuffed by Southampton , lost at Burnley and got beat in the cup final ( in fact he was hopeless in the cup final )  face it there was a slight pick up under Sherwood but we have been sinking like a stone since the awful run that got Lambert the sack.

Changed manager ,changed players but board and Lerner one consistent that has killed the club

There seems to be a view expressed from time to time here that we have some winnable matches coming up and we just have to win those and all will be well.

Trouble is

(a) the distinction between "winnable" and "unwinnable" matches seems to be one that only Villa are respecting when you see Bournemouth beating Chelsea and Man U, Newcastle beating Liverpool and Spurs, etc.;

(b ) these matches really aren't automatically "winnable" for Villa - there is no reason to believe we can beat Norwich, Newcastle and Sunderland, all of whom look to have more nous and fight in them than we do, despite having poor squads;

(c) even if we do win them, all really won't be well. We are relying on dramatic collapses in form of 2 or 3 clubs somewhere to make any wins we manage count for more. We could win all our "winnable" matches and still be bottom.

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

There seems to be a view expressed from time to time here that we have some winnable matches coming up and we just have to win those and all will be well.

Trouble is

(a) the distinction between "winnable" and "unwinnable" matches seems to be one that only Villa are respecting when you see Bournemouth beating Chelsea and Man U, Newcastle beating Liverpool and Spurs, etc.;

(b ) these matches really aren't automatically "winnable" for Villa - there is no reason to believe we can beat Norwich, Newcastle and Sunderland, all of whom look to have more nous and fight in them than we do, despite having poor squads;

(c) even if we do win them, all really won't be well. We are relying on dramatic collapses in form of 2 or 3 clubs somewhere to make any wins we manage count for more. We could win all our "winnable" matches and still be bottom.

What you are saying is true, but I think people are looking at these fixtures and clinging to hope. Surely, even with the results the league has thrown up in recent weeks, you would still fancy your chances against Sunderland/Norwich/Newcastle rather than Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool.

I also don't think anyone is taking for granted that we will win these games, I think (and this is actually my own view) if we can somehow get some results in these games, then we will have a fighting chance, even if we are still bottom. However, it would only be small step. Conversely, if we can't get any wins from these games, then I think those of us who have not given up yet, will begin to see the blindingly obvious.

Edited by GeordieVillan

In the end, we need to get around another 31 points to stay up. Does that likely right now? Nope, but the team has something to fight for. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much fight in us. There are a number of teams at the bottom who are could of seen coming back after going a goal down early, but one of those isn't us. Are players give up cheap goals, and then don't have the fight to get out of it.

I believe we could get 7 points from the next 3 games (as said in blog http://www.villatalk.com/blogs/entry/168-aston-villa-naughty-or-nice/), but my faith is waning. We have seen teams at the bottom beat upper level teams (as mentioned above), I can't see us being one of those teams at the moment.

Shame. I don't even bother visiting the forum anymore. It's just really depressing and I don't really need it.

It hurts, are we even going to go straight up again, who will leave and who will stay...sigh.

Brutal. I'm almost at the point where I'm not even looking forward to my trip next year.

17 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I don't think a team with 6 points from 16 games and no win in 15 really have any games that should be targeted as winnable. A few weeks ago it was Stoke at home that we targeted, then it was Swansea, then it was Watford. We lost them all.

We are a really poor side. If I was a Newcastle, Norwich or Sunderland fan I'd be rubbing my hands at the prospect of facing us.

I'd have hope if we were maybe 8 or 10 games into the season, in fact I did still have plenty of hope then. I'd perhaps of had a little hope if we hadn't yet changed manager as I could cling to the hope that we could have some new manager bounce. We have played that card though and since sacking Sherwood we have taken 2 points from 6 games and unbelievably, in terms of points per game, have actually gone backwards.

I got to be honest I am lost at the moment. I have accepted our fate but we still have another 22 games to play. Eleven at home and I have a season ticket and will attend them all. Today the atmosphere was totally flat aside from a brief period in the second half. We started the game that slowly though and with no intensity that it was no surprise. I expect more of the same. The heart has been ripped out of the vast majority of the fans now and I expect some season ticket holders may simply not now attend, attendances will drop and those that do attend will be sitting on their hands. It is now just a slow painful 6 months to the end of the season that I am not sure any Villa fan has gone through before as we have never been this bad and so far adrift.

Edited by markavfc40

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Difference is when teams sit back against us like Arsenal did today we can't do anything, pretty much every other club in this league has better players or a system to get out the best of the attacking players than us.

This. Our offensive threat is completely zero. It takes us SO LONG to build a meaningful attack that the opposing defence, no matter how lacklustre, have enough time to get men behind the ball and cut it out. We brought Traore on in the 88th minute and he went on such a good run because it was the complete opposite of what we had been offering all game/arsenal had been expecting all game.

At the end of the day we have a keeper who is a decent shot shopper but has Scottish conference level distribution with his feet and who isnt two footed, and suffering mentally from being in a team battling against the drop for 4 years. 

We have a right back who can't cross and gives away massively costly mistakes

Our centre half's are currently composed of a CB who while willing to give guts and thunder, is 6ft tall and a former RB who can't play the position any more, a guy who's best days were 4 years ago while covered by a world class CB and midfield, a young and talented CB who is also short, and has massive injury problems in his short career, and a RB playing as LB who was a utility player in mid table Dutch team.

Our midfield consists of ligue 1 players who aren't fit, strong or visionary enough for the premier league (at the moment) , or players who have the vision and can play a ball, but are physically weak and unfit, and think they are better than what they really are. We also have a mercurial winger who thinks (and with bloody good reason) he is miles better than the rest of the team put together so refuses to pass.

Coupled with this we have a limited striker who has good aerial ability due to his height, but has bugger all foot skills and experience of reading the game, and low strength for such a tall player, and a shorter striker who is skillful and strong and quick, but has absolutely zero service from the midfield. 

It's no surprise really.

• Like 4

Is it a coincidence that our last two managers were unemployed when taken on by us? 

The ownership will be the reason we go down because the blame has to fall at his feet because of his total lack of judgement, interest, knowledge, know-how, care and, most of all, respect. 

Randolph Lerner is the answer when you all ask yourselves the question "How did we get relegated?". 

If you look at Bournemouth I thought they'd be f***ed when Calum Wilson got injured.

Yet Howe has astutely restructed their forward line and tactics. You've got someone like Josh King who's scored a few recently. Pretty sure he only got 4 for Blackburn last season. Gestede got 20 +. Yet who looks out of his depth at prem level?

• Like 4

watching Bournemouth yesterday and last week against Chelsea, and pretty much to a man every player won their individual battles across the pitch.

How many of our players do the same?

Today Hutton was simply outmuscled by Walcott and forced to pull him down - and after that the game was over.

Forget analysing games trying to explain that we need x wins or have to be within x points, we are down. Relegated . Not good enough for this league, seriously there are not three worse teams than us,. There are no worse teams than us. We are bottom , we will finish bottom and deservedly so. We may not even get 15 points. We are horrendously bad and everything to do with us screams negativity and awfulness 

• Like 2

Â