Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jackbauer24

Relegation Thread Version...99?!

Recommended Posts

There's not really one single aspect of our game that holds up at the moment.

If i were Garde I would have started with our defence, as every time we concede any game plan we did have gets flushed down the toilet. But it doesn't matter who we play, or where we play them we also gift the opposition at least one goal, maybe two in the first quarter of a match. We lose the game before we've even got going.

We have a make shift left back, now Bacuna hasn't done bad to be honest but it is still asking a lot for him to play there every game. Hutton probably one of our most consistent players is now making mistakes all over the place. Good to see Okore back but he is still really coming back into the game and his form and fitness aren't yet proven. Richards when he comes back is just as capable of charging out and leaving gaping holes in the defence, or leaving the man he is allegedly marking on his own to score. Clark has been pretty awful since he returned also. Lescott has actually improved a bit, but you wouldn't bank on him being the rock at the heart of things.

Then you have a midfield you between them just have so little fitness and energy, they don't seem to intelligently cover ground or offer any kind of protection to the defence. There's no Cleverly or Delph charging around making tackles and blocks. All there is - is Sanchez and his clown college brand of football, win the tackle, block brilliantly then pass the ball straight to the opposition, or mis-control it, or needless back passes. Vertout and Gana take turns in being the missing man, they never run and close down for a full game, you're lucky if they participate fully for 60 mins let alone 90.

Then you've the forward line which is just feels like a load of attacking midfielders with no-one actually taking responsibility for or even having enough talent to score goals. Gestede can flick on well, he wins headers all over the pitch but doesn't actually seem to be able to score from them anymore, his feet have seen more air shots than they have anything approaching something on target. Ayew, Gil, Grealish, Sinclair all want to cut inside and score dramatic goals, none of them seem to go central or off the shoulder of the last defender - as close as i've seen was Sinclair's rubbish header today. Ayew can't do everything on his own, none of these players assist each other, and none of the other midfielders seem capable of providing assists to them either. Gestede is useless, but take him off and there is no focal point to the attack, no one to cross to.

The team is woefully unbalanced, the players just don't seem to know what they should be doing. Grealish for example has obviously been told to track back and add more to his game by Garde, now part of me thinks that is good advice, but seeing him and Gil also track back and chase shadows in our final defensive half just to me seems a waste of energy, neither can tackle or close down to save their lives. But Garde is forcing them to because our defence and central midfield is shambles.

I don't see any combination of players that will bring results, I don't believe Randy will spend big in January to get us out of this mess. We've been circling the bowl for 5 years, looks like someone is about to finally flush. 

 

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're down. I find it very difficult to even see us win another match for some time.

Sorry state of affairs. To be fair I don't think I can take another season of relegation battling only to do it again and again. We might even win a few matches in the Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think Adama is a really exciting player. I am looking forward to seeing if Okore and Richards can strike up a partnership. Would love to see Ashley Cole in a Villa shirt, my favourite England player of that era so fingers crossed on that one. I am enjoying watching Ayew improve and find consistency, always fun watching a talent emerge. Want to see more of Carles Gil.

That's about it at the minute, is that enough to make me well and truly deluded?

God you are so deluded.

Don't you know if things are going badly that absolutely everything is negative? There can be no positives. Ever.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

God you are so deluded.

Don't you know if things are going badly that absolutely everything is negative? There can be no positives. Ever.

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Can say what you want about negative comments but anyone who has anything remotely positive to say about this club at the minute is well and truly deluded and unwilling to accept the truth.

 

If we were like Barcelona (hahahahahahahaha) should we say to fans - "if you have anything remotely negative to say about this club you are deluded and unwilling to accept the truth."

Why does it matter if people manage to find some tiny positive thing to make things a bit more bearable? Aren't things depressive enough?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't sure what thread to post this in but i guess this is the most appropriate. I feel a massive reason we are incompetent at home is because of us the fans. Yesterdays game was the first iv'e missed at home this season and it was embarrassing to hear the boo's and complete lack of atmosphere from us on the TV. No player can improve his confidence when every thing they try or do is jeered. I hate saying this because its so sad to see happen to us. Obviously its not completely our fault that the boys can't win at home. Even the pundits and former players say the same about our home support, that its an easy ground to play at because of the lack of support for our players when we go behind. Why do you think played well in those 2 games vs the baggies last season? Because the atmosphere was electric and the fans were enjoying it. The only way we survive relegation is dramatically improving our home form. 

Once again i really do not enjoying talking about our fans like this because as we all know we can be the best fans in the league! Curious to hear some of your thoughts on this because imo this negativity is clearly effecting player performances. UTV 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The home fans have had very little to nothing to cheer about for a few seasons now. I don't think the fans are to be blamed, it's predictable we give a soft goal away and the heads start to drop. Fans can see it coming and are tired of the predictability of it all. I think we certainly aren't one of the worst fans when it comes to negative atmosphere, Newcastle are worse and they seem to pickup results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

If we go on like this we'll be down by March.

if we are lucky

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garde should get tough and move Richards to right back and play Clark alongside Okore, which had the signs of a decent partnership last season. I know Richards doesn't want to play right back but he's Captain and should lead by example and be willing to play anywhere if it's for the good of the team. 

The other position to fill is defensive midfield. Sanchez cost us against Southampton and played a part in Arsenal's second yesterday. I'd persevere with Gana but Sanchez needs to be dropped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wasn't sure what thread to post this in but i guess this is the most appropriate. I feel a massive reason we are incompetent at home is because of us the fans. Yesterdays game was the first iv'e missed at home this season and it was embarrassing to hear the boo's and complete lack of atmosphere from us on the TV. No player can improve his confidence when every thing they try or do is jeered. I hate saying this because its so sad to see happen to us. Obviously its not completely our fault that the boys can't win at home. Even the pundits and former players say the same about our home support, that its an easy ground to play at because of the lack of support for our players when we go behind. Why do you think played well in those 2 games vs the baggies last season? Because the atmosphere was electric and the fans were enjoying it. The only way we survive relegation is dramatically improving our home form. 

Once again i really do not enjoying talking about our fans like this because as we all know we can be the best fans in the league! Curious to hear some of your thoughts on this because imo this negativity is clearly effecting player performances. UTV 

It's not the fans fault those players cannot do the basics on a football field. I'm still surprised 33,000 of us still turn up to watch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Garde should get tough and move Richards to right back and play Clark alongside Okore, which had the signs of a decent partnership last season. I know Richards doesn't want to play right back but he's Captain and should lead by example and be willing to play anywhere if it's for the good of the team. 

The other position to fill is defensive midfield. Sanchez cost us against Southampton and played a part in Arsenal's second yesterday. I'd persevere with Gana but Sanchez needs to be dropped. 

Your post highlights yet another problem our new manager inherited, in the respect that at many other clubs if a player isn't doing their part then they can risk being dropped.

Other than the attacking/creative midfield role (As we saw with Grealish) we have so few options at replacing other positions, that people know they will still be on the team sheet, regardless of performance, simply through the lack of an adequate replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

There's not really one single aspect of our game that holds up at the moment.

If i were Garde I would have started with our defence, as every time we concede any game plan we did have gets flushed down the toilet. But it doesn't matter who we play, or where we play them we also gift the opposition at least one goal, maybe two in the first quarter of a match. We lose the game before we've even got going.

We have a make shift left back, now Bacuna hasn't done bad to be honest but it is still asking a lot for him to play there every game. Hutton probably one of our most consistent players is now making mistakes all over the place. Good to see Okore back but he is still really coming back into the game and his form and fitness aren't yet proven. Richards when he comes back is just as capable of charging out and leaving gaping holes in the defence, or leaving the man he is allegedly marking on his own to score. Clark has been pretty awful since he returned also. Lescott has actually improved a bit, but you wouldn't bank on him being the rock at the heart of things.

Then you have a midfield you between them just have so little fitness and energy, they don't seem to intelligently cover ground or offer any kind of protection to the defence. There's no Cleverly or Delph charging around making tackles and blocks. All there is - is Sanchez and his clown college brand of football, win the tackle, block brilliantly then pass the ball straight to the opposition, or mis-control it, or needless back passes. Vertout and Gana take turns in being the missing man, they never run and close down for a full game, you're lucky if they participate fully for 60 mins let alone 90.

Then you've the forward line which is just feels like a load of attacking midfielders with no-one actually taking responsibility for or even having enough talent to score goals. Gestede can flick on well, he wins headers all over the pitch but doesn't actually seem to be able to score from them anymore, his feet have seen more air shots than they have anything approaching something on target. Ayew, Gil, Grealish, Sinclair all want to cut inside and score dramatic goals, none of them seem to go central or off the shoulder of the last defender - as close as i've seen was Sinclair's rubbish header today. Ayew can't do everything on his own, none of these players assist each other, and none of the other midfielders seem capable of providing assists to them either. Gestede is useless, but take him off and there is no focal point to the attack, no one to cross to.

The team is woefully unbalanced, the players just don't seem to know what they should be doing. Grealish for example has obviously been told to track back and add more to his game by Garde, now part of me thinks that is good advice, but seeing him and Gil also track back and chase shadows in our final defensive half just to me seems a waste of energy, neither can tackle or close down to save their lives. But Garde is forcing them to because our defence and central midfield is shambles.

I don't see any combination of players that will bring results, I don't believe Randy will spend big in January to get us out of this mess. We've been circling the bowl for 5 years, looks like someone is about to finally flush. 

 

A well thought out opinion. You use the term "unbalanced" and I couldn't agree more. Looking at our current squad, I can't for the life of me see what the original plan was, even before everything went to hell this season, with utilizing the players we already had and the new signings into a workable system to win football matches.

We can't kick the crap out of the opposition, we can't/don't cross the ball, our forwards are always too isolated, we don't have runners into the box from midfield and we are too slow on the counter attack.

I'm just not seeing if we were in an ideal world, exactly how all the pieces we have were supposed to fit together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I guess our main hope is that other teams do the work for us. If Sunderland remain a s bad as they have been so far this season, and a couple of other clubs have utterly disastrous runs and gain very few more points for the rest of the season (as has happened from time to time in the premier league) we might just scrape enough points to stay up.  

I've got my eye on Swansea as a team that may come to our rescue. And Southampton are on a dreadful run at present.

Southampton?! Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, darrenm said:

I've just got a feeling. We'll soon see I guess.

The only reason for saying things like this is because of our PL ever present status. Well that isn't going to get us out of this mess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd really love to see Sanchez and Gana behind, and I mean behind, like camped at the back with our defence behind, Gil, the party animal and mr T's love child with Gestede up top. :trollface: Or Ayew. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, grobs said:

Wasn't sure what thread to post this in but i guess this is the most appropriate. I feel a massive reason we are incompetent at home is because of us the fans. Yesterdays game was the first iv'e missed at home this season and it was embarrassing to hear the boo's and complete lack of atmosphere from us on the TV. No player can improve his confidence when every thing they try or do is jeered. I hate saying this because its so sad to see happen to us. Obviously its not completely our fault that the boys can't win at home. Even the pundits and former players say the same about our home support, that its an easy ground to play at because of the lack of support for our players when we go behind. Why do you think played well in those 2 games vs the baggies last season? Because the atmosphere was electric and the fans were enjoying it. The only way we survive relegation is dramatically improving our home form. 

Once again i really do not enjoying talking about our fans like this because as we all know we can be the best fans in the league! Curious to hear some of your thoughts on this because imo this negativity is clearly effecting player performances. UTV 

You didn't go to the game but feel the need to have a 'pop' at the fans who did !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just got a feeling. We'll soon see I guess.

The only reason for saying things like this is because of our PL ever present status. Well that isn't going to get us out of this mess

Please don't presume to tell me what I'm thinking.

It's based on a lot more reasoning than that but I refuse to debate my arguments with a few people who only post for effect. Like I said, we'll soon see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just hoping newcastle dont come down along with us, we need the likes of bournmouth and norwich to come down with us so we have a better chance of coming back. anyone who thinks we are staying up, sorry sadly your going to be disappointed. like collymore said yesterday no guts, no fight no passion. how can these losers save us?

we need to rebuild YET AGAIN. most of these french players will leave once we go down, none will want to stay so thankfully we hopefully have to endure this crap again next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â