Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Sunderland

limpid

No blame on Tim from me, we did easily enough to win. Just didn't score (enough).

Richards is so good, I love him. Feel so sorry he didn't score, he would've deserved it.

Sanchez was very good aswell. He made one mistake, got to the wrong side of his man, and boom it's a goal.

Ciaran, I'm sorry to say this but you need some time off. Come back stronger.

Sinclair, Hutton, Amavi, Gana, Westwood all did well.

We need a goal scorer, as we all know. Adama would've won us the game, but we ahould've won it anyway.

I think Grealish would have done more than Adama to win the game, they defended deep so guile would have been more likely to "unlock" them than pace

Jack or Adama. Both in their own way.

• Like 1

9 times out of 10 we win this comfortably. Disappointed not to win but some positives to take away. 

Desperately need Lescott and a striker though. 

Credit to the Sunderland fans for bringing 3k today. Impressive when you think about the distances which they travel to watch that team

If you've ever been to Sunderland you will understand why so many of its residents take the chance to get away at least for a while. Edited by briny_ear

Our second goal was cracker. If this team can click we'll be a really entertaining side. Wish Sherwood would make more changes during games though - not just substitutions but tactically too. Kabul and O'Shea coped with Gestede's aerial ability easily. They may have come unstuck with the likes of Ayew's pace.

Im really enjoying the fact that we were easily the best team today. 

In a funny way its nice to feel we have had 2 points stolen from us, feels so long ago that this would happen.

Sunderland were like us under Lambert, solid mechanical and obvious.

Im so glad we are turning away from that.

• Like 2

Im really enjoying the fact that we were easily the best team today. 

In a funny way its nice to feel we have had 2 points stolen from us, feels so long ago that this would happen.

Sunderland were like us under Lambert, solid mechanical and obvious.

Im so glad we are turning away from that.

Felt this way too!

Not good enough for me today.

Finishing was poor, defence was poorer. With the way we are set up we are going to need to score 4 goals a game to win are defence is so bad.

For the third game in a row opposition changed tactics and put pressure on us and we concede before tim does something about it.

Though we were wasteful i blame tim. Tactics werent good enough and he was too slow to change things after half time. Also its plain to see we need a finisher and at least one cb and he hasnt brought them in. Cannot fathom why we arent in the mix for austin as he is precisely what we need. Hed have scored 3 or 4 today in guestedes place.

Based on what ive seen of this new team i still think we are going to be in relegation trouble this year

Had enough chances to win the game. Defensively poor again especially first ten mins of each half. Rudy struggled for a big lad. Sinclair Richards and Sanchez all had good games. Sometimes wonder if Sherwood can change it tactically at times as our only width comes from the full backs. 2 points dropped but at least we didn't lose. Must be winning more games at home to stay in the league UTV

Better team today and should have won. Sunderland were pretty poor. I think we were let down by poor touches at crucial times by some of our players and had we had Grealish and/or Adama playing it would've been a comfortable win.

Wish we could make a hybrid of Hutton and Bacuna. The former was good today but can't cross!

Sanchez and Gana were both great. Sinclair knows how to put the ball in the net and deserves a starting place.

Posted my view on Gestede in his thread and think he deserves to start the next game.

Guzan is at fault for the first goal for me, yes it was a great free kick but his starting position could've been better.

Big fan of Amavi.

Mistake by Clark for the equaliser but I don't think we need to sign Lescott, I'm okay with our CB options, another good performance by Richards despite a glaring miss from two yards out!

Poor result given how bad they are but at least we are creating chances and wins will come.

No blame on Tim from me, we did easily enough to win. Just didn't score (enough).

Richards is so good, I love him. Feel so sorry he didn't score, he would've deserved it.

Sanchez was very good aswell. He made one mistake, got to the wrong side of his man, and boom it's a goal.

Ciaran, I'm sorry to say this but you need some time off. Come back stronger.

Sinclair, Hutton, Amavi, Gana, Westwood all did well.

We need a goal scorer, as we all know. Adama would've won us the game, but we ahould've won it anyway.

I think Grealish would have done more than Adama to win the game, they defended deep so guile would have been more likely to "unlock" them than pace
Jack or Adama. Both in their own way.

Totally agree here. Clark has to wipe the ball and man out when lens takes that touch.

With the way we set up we dominated possession and had way more chances, missing some very good ones that should have won us the game. Sunderland had the free kick they scored from (which was a great strike but possibly poor positioning by guzan), fletchers header and the Lens goal (poor by clark). That doesnt suggest to me poor tactics and poor defensive system/setup, unless you expect to limit teams to no chances.

The opposition brought on fletcher for graham and toivonen for cattermole, and consequently they actually spent more than 10 seconds at a time in our half. But nothing changed drastically tactically, the pressure was nothing beyond what a premier league team should expect during any game. We should have been able to deal with it without making any changes.

The 2nd goal was entirely self-inflicted - we had the ball, gave it away cheaply and then due to some horrendous defending by clark conceded. Sloppy individual errors again. That we then carried on to then dominate the game again suggests the setup was not the big issue.

• Like 2

Gestede just isn't a PL standard striker. Poor result with some glimmers of hope here and there (Sinclair, Gana, Amavi).

Shit like this does my head in. YOU'VE BARELY SEEN HIM?!? Although I would like to see us bring in a more proven striker - just to make sure. 

• Like 1

I've just read a couple of posters blame Guzan for the free kick farrrk me what's going on in your heads?

I also noticed no one has said anything about the player who gave away the free kick who just happens to be the same player caught in possession last week that gifted Palace their win that Guzan also got the blame for.

Amavi has shown some good thing's but he's not above criticism for his poor play. Good energy but if I were the opposition manager he would be the full back I'd want to attack as his positioning isn't the best.

We had the majority of play against a awful Sunderland team, with Gil in place of Bacuna from the start I think we might have been out of Sunderland's reach before half time.

Gestede started poorly but improved as the game went on, however if he's the answer then the question is wrong.

Before the game started I thought we would struggle to create chances and it would be another boring VP performance but the team were better than I gave them credit for however it was obvious to most people watching that we are still going to struggle without a quality CF.

I do think Ade and Lescott will make a big difference. Gestede is poor with the ball at his feet (weren't like 20 of his goals from last season headers) definitely played better in second half but is for 4,4,2 only imo. Definitely need an experienced pl striker. But how many are out there, available, affordable and any good?

Bacuna is bang average. Why on earth did he get a 5 year extension??? I feel if Gil had started instead we would've won comfortably. I wanted a win just to frank the fact that we're a better team without Gabby

Bacuna is bang average. Why on earth did he get a 5 year extension??? I feel if Gil had started instead we would've won comfortably. I wanted a win just to frank the fact that we're a better team without Gabby

Surely Hutton is in because Gil is not fit enough for 90 minutes, otherwise Bacuna would have been playing RB instead of Hutton? Bacuna is a cheap RH utility player, he is average but a decent squad player. We can't replace an entire squad in one window.

Â