Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Sunderland

limpid

I reckon this team could score buckets of goals against teams in the bottom half of the table.

Yet our current defense could take us down.

Gestede has just made a big step up, and that exciting first week made sure he'd get special attention from defenders.

It's how he adapts. He's not had enough time to say either way.

We drew at home to Sunderland and beat them away last season. Disappointed not to win but I'm not going to declare the season over like some on here

We have gone through years of struggling in the relegation zones, its obvious fans are going to worry with the the start we have had, yes its early days, but personally im wondering without a proven striker and CB, I worry where the wins are gonna come from.

Frustrating game. We were clearly the better team but a single free kick and a ten minute spell at the start of the second half was enough.

Richards is looking like our best defender, Amavi looks very positive, although he faded in the last 20 minutes.

Sinclair has to be our first choice striker, if we don't buy another forward the front line should be centred around him.

Gil looked good, should have started or at least come on 10-15 minutes earlier.

Gana was my man of the match.

We're going to be fine.

• Like 2

Should have won this easily. We have a team that can win, they just don't know how to. We should have crushed them easily in the first half, but unfortunately didn't and allowed them back into it in the second. Good to see us having the confidence to have lots of shots from far out, shame the execution wasn't good enough.

I'm going to give Richards MOTM for his defensive performance which was excellent, showed everyone how it should be done - calm and composed. The only errors he made were at the other end of the pitch.

Clark was very unconvincing. Amavi made some critical errors, needs to cut them out.

Sanchez played well again, with Westwood and Gana we had a solid centre midfield. I would say Gana was a bit disappointing, thought he would impose himself on the game a bit more.

Attacking wise Sinclair has great movement so is in the right position at the right time to score easy tap-ins. Gestede was OK, but most of his flick-ons didn't work, he didn't seem particularly effective, improved a little in the second half.

Bacuna was a waste of time in that position. Hutton had so much space down the right in the first half, it was a shame his crossing wasn't great. If he had someone better in front of him we may have been able to capitalise on this.

Gil picked up from where he left off on Tuesday, we need him or Grealish in the side.

All in all it was encouraging but frustrating

On another day, we win that game confortably.

Richards doesn't clear it off their goal line, Gil shoots at the first opportunity instead of dribbling in the box and going down, the ref sees the push on Gestede and numerous other chances.

Oh and although Clark messed up for their 2nd goal, the shot was deflected (again!) and Guzan would have saved it easily IMO.

For me, it was miles better than the dross under Lambert so with players to come back (and come in?), I think things don't look too bad.

Poor game for us. Some injuries, but not good enough. We should be running rings around these kinds of teams. Hopefully it served a purpose to show the powers that be that we still need a couple more.

why should we be running rings around 'these sorts of teams?' By these sorts of teams im guessing you mean teams that are struggling near the bottom of the table in recent seasons.......like us then?

I never quite figure out how we lined up yesterday - at kick off I was expecting:

-------------------Guzan-----------------

Hutton----Richards----Clark----Amavi

----Westwood---Sanchez---Gana-----

Bacuna---------------------------Sinclair

-----------------Gestede-----------------

But it didn't look like that when we got going.

The back four and keeper were fine, but Bacuna and Sinclair weren't on the flanks - I couldn't figure out if it was Bacuna in the ten role with Sinclair upfront or Sinclair and Bacuna both as number 10's. To confuse things more, when Gil came on, he seemed to go onto the right hand side, but no one moved to the left hand side in front of Amavi.

What were people's thoughts on formation?

Very disappointed we didn't win but I have to say it's positive how we're talking about decent attacking play and being creative.

Last season we could easily have lost that game due to just not having the ball and creating nothing.

No doubt in my mind we have moved forward as a team. The one thing that worries me, and I'm sure worries everyone to be honest, who is going to get the goals for this team?

Right now absolutely no one is backing any of Gabby, Gestede, Kozak or Ayew to hit anything like enough goals, and for the moment anyway our main threats appear to be Sinclair and Traore.

I'm giving Clark some benefit of the doubt. He has been quite good over the last couple of seasons for me and looked decent in pre - season, had a shocker today. If Lescott does come in it will improve what we have, no questions.

Assuming Lescott does happen I'm hoping against hope we do also sign a 15-20 goal man. If we did bring that calibre of striker in by Tuesday, this could be our best season since the O'Neill days.

Was a game where we battered them and save for that 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half, we totally dominated them. How they scored 2 goals and got a draw is beyond belief.

Anyway, there was a dude sat a few rows behind me... When the team was being announced after pretty much every player he shouted "Rubbish!" I didn't hear all of it but noticed towards the end he was doing it.... Then 20 seconds after kick off it was "Sit dow Sherood you pr$ck!" - amazing... Then it was "Sort that bloomin' new left back out and get Joe on!".... The bit that made me think he was just on the wind up was when he said to his mate "I don't know why we got rid of Luna, he was amazing!" - Then, just befor Gil came on he was receiving instructions from Sherwood and it was "Don't listen to him Kid!" - Love some fans at Villa Park, so much amusement to be had!

• Like 2

Thought our interplay has improved and in that respect we are getting better.....still think we have a tendency to be our own worst enemy....we need a quality centre back with less individual errors in him.

I was pleased with Sinclair, not just for his goals, but for his sharpness, mentally and physically.

Sanchez got caught on the ball.....but the rest of his game was impressive.....needs to stamp out these lapses in concentration.

I thought 2 goals at home is ample enough to secure a win.....Our defence needs to be improved.

• Like 1

I'm starting to get very annoyed with the amount of opposition supporters that have ended up in the home end this season. That's three in a row that there's been at least two near me.

If more of our own fans bothered to go to Villa Park for games against non top 4 teams we wouldn't have that problem

• Like 1

I never quite figure out how we lined up yesterday - at kick off I was expecting:

-------------------Guzan-----------------

Hutton----Richards----Clark----Amavi

----Westwood---Sanchez---Gana-----

Bacuna---------------------------Sinclair

-----------------Gestede-----------------

But it didn't look like that when we got going.

The back four and keeper were fine, but Bacuna and Sinclair weren't on the flanks - I couldn't figure out if it was Bacuna in the ten role with Sinclair upfront or Sinclair and Bacuna both as number 10's. To confuse things more, when Gil came on, he seemed to go onto the right hand side, but no one moved to the left hand side in front of Amavi.

What were people's thoughts on formation?

LWIcNVd.jpg

• Like 2

Â