Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Sunderland

limpid

Thought we were really unlucky today. It would've been a different story if we had Jack and/or Adama starting. Thought Gil should've started the game and made a really positive impact when he came on. But overall there are a lot of positives, essentially we've been undone from a worldie free kick and not switching on for the start of the second half. I liked that we created chances at will, we had 19 shots in the end? Richards was unlucky not to score and so was Westwood. We play like that all season and we'll be mid table at least. I didn't see anything wrong with that performance, just don't think today was our day.  

Disappointing result but lots of positives. 

Firstly, I'm really liking Gana. Busy, energetic and more effective than Wealth. Started the season well and should get even better.

Secondly, Sinclair definitely has goals in him. Whilst we're at it, Amavi definitely has assists in him too.

Sanchez bossed things in the first half and, barring a 10 / 15 minute spell in the second half, finished the game well too.

Richards is boss in the defence and, had it not been for another individual error from our back 4, we'd have a further 3 points from our last 2 games. Thought Hutton did well today too.

Special mention should go to Westwood as he worked his bollocks off today.

Hopefully Grealish and Adama will both be available after the break, so things are looking up. We played some good stuff today.

• Like 1

I didn't think Gestede was all that bad. Created a good chance for Westwood right at the end and looked a handful all game. Having said that, will have absolutely no issues with him being dropped for Kozak.

Gestede seemed to get better as things went on but the game was crying out for some proactive changes after 75 minutes and Sherwood really should have done something to change it up.

• Like 1

That's two games which haven't gone our way due to poor finishing and individual errors at the back.  The general setup seems good, but Sherwood really needs to realize that there is a reason why you are allowed 3 substitutions.

I do get worried about the decision making of our players sometimes.

The ball was coming down from way up in the air, Richards is under it, no one around him, he puts his hands out to tell the other Villa players that he's got it, it comes down and he smashes it back into the air. Just don't understand it. I also couldn't count the amount of times that one of our players gets the ball and he put his arms out because he's got no one to pass it to. 

• Like 2

I didn't think Gestede was all that bad. Created a good chance for Westwood right at the end and looked a handful all game. Having said that, will have absolutely no issues with him being dropped for Kozak.

I thought for the most part, their defenders looked quite comfortable with him. Creating one decent chance is terrible considering how much of the ball we had in their half. Creating one chance all game when that is all you contributed is just bad in general.

I thought he did OK all things considered, but OK is not really enough when we have lost a world class striker and nobody else seems to own any shooting boots.

Am I the only one that thought Gestede did alright? Some nice lay offs which really got us going attacking wise a number of times, should have done a bit better in front of goal really but otherwise a solid enough performance.

I think there are plenty of positives today for sure, lots of chances created but just that final ball lacking but with some of our main attackers out (Gabby, Grealish and Traore with Ayew still settling) that are will surely improve once they're fit? Worldy free kick for their 1st, not much anyone can do about that and Clark at fault for 2nd but only in via a deflection.

We will continue to be inconsistent for a good few months while everyone adapts and gets up to speed but on that showing they are beginning to settle a little. Onwards and upwards

• Like 2

Quite a few positives. Richards/Hutton/Gana/Sanchez/Sinclair all played well....Sanchez first half was excellent, Gestede is a constant nousence but he is very limited, seems to take him forever to get on the turn.

Just lacked a bit of invention once they sat back for the draw.

Edited by mightysasquatch

Watched it in the pub. Best we have played so far this season. We are gifting goals and once we sort it out we will be fine. The team going forward will only get better and I really like what I see. This is a million miles from Lamberts Villa. It's a new team give them time to gel and enjoy the entertainment.

Am I the only one that thought Gestede did alright? Some nice lay offs which really got us going attacking wise a number of times, should have done a bit better in front of goal really but otherwise a solid enough performance.

I think there are plenty of positives today for sure, lots of chances created but just that final ball lacking but with some of our main attackers out (Gabby, Grealish and Traore with Ayew still settling) that are will surely improve once they're fit? Worldy free kick for their 1st, not much anyone can do about that and Clark at fault for 2nd but only in via a deflection.

We will continue to be inconsistent for a good few months while everyone adapts and gets up to speed but on that showing they are beginning to settle a little. Onwards and upwards

I completely agree with your whole post barring the Gestede part. We are certainly improving, and we were missing key players. I don't want to jump on Gestede's back too much as he may come good given time, and it is early. But a lot of his flick ons went to nobody, and as others have pointed out, the amount of times he was on his heels and was beaten to a pass by the defenders was infuriating. In fact that very thing was what got them the ball to attack for their second goal, if he's not gonna score and is gonna cost goals too then I think he's gonna struggle to be a success.

Â