Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Sunderland

limpid

Don't think we need lescott.

Okay performance, created chances but couldn't put them away.

Whole midfield very good and amavi. Sinclair class.

Ref woeful. Too weak to be a PL ref. The free kick for their first was never a free kick and pantillimon wasted around 10 minutes singlehandedly. Didn't add the time on properly like Stevo said.

• Like 1

Utter shite.

I would rather Gabby played every game for the rest of my life than see Gestede play again.

Gil MOTM.

Have a cold beer. Sit back, relax. You'll probably realise that you are over-reacting just a tad. Give the lad a chance. Time to settle and all that, new club, new teammates......He wasn't all bad and held the ball up nicely at times.

• Like 3

Gil made a big difference but we set up for the draw

Eh? We attacked them non stop just lacked quality in the final third.

• Like 4

This probably isn't a popular opinion but I won't blame Sherwood for not making more subs. We created enough chances to win and looked likely to score until the end. Swapping Gestede for Kozak or Ayew would have been only additional sub that could have made sense. I was happy he didn't mess with the midfield or take a defender off for extra striker because we kept creating enough with this lineup and a loss would have been a nightmare. Gestede should have done better but he still got the ball to dangerous positions. From what I've seen from Ayew so far I don't think he would have done any better. Kozak maybe, but more than Sherwood's tactical shortcomings this game proved we need a goal scorer and I'm not convinced Kozak is the solution either. What I like about Gestede compared to (what I remember of) Kozak is that he's always in the game, where things happen. Kozak can finish but I don't think he would have even got most of Gestede's chances.

• Like 3

Second half was mostly poor. I thought Richards played like a real captain, he's so committed and he reads the game so well. Clark was pretty bad too, he cleared almost all of his headers, but he was against Defoe, as soon as somebody ran at him he got beat every time. Gestede is so bad it hurts. He stands still, he doesn't make runs, he reacts a second after the defender every time, half the time he looks like he doesn't want the ball. And for all his aerial prowess, he didn't win many headers, and the ones he did win just looped up in the air. Bacuna seems to be actually getting worse, every aspect of his game is dreadful, but that's what you get for the money we paid. I actually think when everyone is back and starting to gel we'll be fine. We're creating chances, we've got Grealish and Traore coming back, but we badly need a striker who knows what he's doing.

A very disappointing result, but some positive signs.

Sanchez was my motm, some nice link up between him and Gana, who was also impressive.

Richards was very good today, played like a captain, he was very unlucky at both ends of the pitch.

Giving Bacuna a free role in midfield seemed very odd, and given the amount of room that Hutton was being allowed, he should have been moved to RB since Hutton's delivery was poor.

I would have liked to see Kozak come on, if a game where we are creating chances and have ample opportunity to get a cross in isn't ideal for him then I don't know what is. Although Gestede was pretty poor overall I think I would have sacrificed Westwood to get Kozak on in order to have a real presence in their box.

• Like 1

When we have a team capable of defending we will start to win games on a more regular basis. At the moment with the average players we have in defence we are always likely to concede goals against even the poorest of teams like Sunderland. 8 minutes in and 1-0 down at home to shit like that is clear evidence of our predicament. We are currently overloaded with decent midfielders but under resourced with decent defenders and another decent striker wouldn't be a bad acquisition either.

• Like 1

I was there and Sunderland were poor. We weren't much better. Sherwood wake up Kozak for Gestede all day. Gil changed the game

Completely agree, at least Kozak seems to try and get on the end of passes. Gil was great when he came on too. For me, the biggest concern is the lack of urgency, we get the ball and just seem to pass it around before we go at them, rather than taking advantage of the space on the counter attack.

Shite result. Can't see us avoiding another relegation battle if we cannot beat teams like Sunderland at home. Pathetic but not suprising given that we hand out 5 year contracts to shite like Bacuna

Edited by Arj Guy

Frustrating frustrating frustrating!

Midfield three were fantastic all match, Sanchez seems to be marmite if the people around me are anything to go by but I thought he was really good.

Full backs were good but amavi tired in the second half and didn't want to push forward an extra 10 yards when waiting for the ball.

Thought gestede didn't have enough support but made some good touches to control it and still think he'll come good.

Sinclair was great yet again.

Guzan at fault for their first goal, awful positioning.

And that ref was an absolute joke. Finally books the keeper and then he lets him waste time straight after and p*ss about! They wonder why they get no respect!

I'm disappointed but don't feel anywhere near as deflated as after Palace. We played some great attacking football in patches without 2 key players and scored a fantastic team goal that we all should be very proud of. Will Lescott shore up what is a leaky defence, I certainly hope so as something needs to happen there. I think Sanchez deserves a special mention as he was excellent in the first half and Sinclair looks like he could be a big player for us this season. I'm trying to be patient but I suspect Gestede is a donkey! Kozak should have come on at least after 60 if not half time. We have to start with Kozak from now on. Albeit a game against a side we should have beaten and beaten comfortably, overall I think the positives slightly outweigh the negatives in terms of team development and cohesion.

Gestede is shyte but I knew that anyway. Gabby ahead of him any day of the week.

I know that all of our players are shite.

There we go, now when any of them play badly, I can bring it up and give it the big'un. Great fun, ain't it?

• Like 2

Â