Joleon Lescott

dont_do_it_doug.

I think he's benefiting from Garde's increased organisation, as opposed to whatever you would call it when Sherwood was here.

Our whole defence looks more settled.

Okore perhaps (as well as organisation). I always thought Clark looked a lot better with him as well. Strange given his inexperience and being very raw. However I like the way he plays.

In terms of Lescott he is starting to look the player I thought he was when he came here.

I'm aware that I'm not exactly neutral in this thread, and have criticised this signing many times. Firstly, I didn't watch the game yesterday, but it sounds like he played very well, which is great. I hope he keeps it up. But some of the praise on here is quite OTT - have people forgotten that he totally lost his marker, resulting in a conceding a goal just last week? If he can turn one good performance into a run of them then I'll give him the credit he deserves, but people are talking about in this thread as if he's been brilliant for weeks. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm aware that I'm not exactly neutral in this thread, and have criticised this signing many times. Firstly, I didn't watch the game yesterday, but it sounds like he played very well, which is great. I hope he keeps it up. But some of the praise on here is quite OTT - have people forgotten that he totally lost his marker, resulting in a conceding a goal just last week? If he can turn one good performance into a run of them then I'll give him the credit he deserves, but people are talking about in this thread as if he's been brilliant for weeks. 

He had a good game last week as well apart from that mistake. Besides-People have told me in the Remi Garde thread that it was the managers fault that we conceded that goal.

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Thought he could've done a lot better against Defoe sure Guzan shouldn't be getting beat near post but letting Defoe take the ball down turn and take a shot on goal is all on Lescott.

The MOTD analysis was pretty interesting.  Basically Richards and Hutton both push up pretty inexplicably leaving Cissokho and Lescott as our 2 defenders at the back.  If Richards doesn't move, Defoe doesn't get the ball.  That simple.

As a unit, our defence is awful.

Just defensively a mess. we need a strong CB to play with richards and give him a kick up the backside when he makes errors like that. we need a good rb as well. aly was ok i am happy with him at left back until amavi returns

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

As a unit, our defence is awful.

There are so many occasions, like literally a couple every game, where Lescott is way behind everyone else and playing an attacker onside.

There's never a proper defensive line. They all play like individuals.

• Like 2

The only defender I trust is Amavi and he himself has so many deficiencies but he has

1) true quality

2) age on his side to improve and he seems keen to improve

which means he is worth persisting with and could quite easily be one of the better left backs in the championship.

The rest? I wouldn't trust them in the championship let alone this league. Certainly need a new back 4 to even remotely compete down there.

Â