Adama Traore

mwj

23 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Obviously you shouldn't just use stats as your basis for an opinion

but then you went and did it anyway. He's nowhere near Grealish as a player, he shows flashes but that's it. Doesn't contribute for 90 minutes and can't be relied on. He has some attributes but there's still a long way to go.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not sure how anyone can not think he has been outstanding this season. On his day he is unplayable against the best teams in the league. How many players can you say that about?

"On his day", when is his day? Sané has been outstanding this season, compare Traore to him and then you can see he's miles away from that level. He's just like Pogba shows up in the odd highlisghts reel but when you watch them play for 90 minutes you see their lack of contribution.

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

but then you went and did it anyway. He's nowhere near Grealish as a player, he shows flashes but that's it. Doesn't contribute for 90 minutes and can't be relied on. He has some attributes but there's still a long way to go.

I didnt tho. I used what i have seen with my own eyes also. Stats are just one side of it. The other is how they perform. Every game I have seen him he has been fantastic. They've been on TV a lot!

26 minutes ago, villa89 said:

"On his day", when is his day? Sané has been outstanding this season, compare Traore to him and then you can see he's miles away from that level. He's just like Pogba shows up in the odd highlisghts reel but when you watch them play for 90 minutes you see their lack of contribution.

Firstly, it's Mane. To get a rating that high on average shows he has had to be consistent. You don't get that form a few games of brilliance. Further he has been MOTM in 6 games. De Bruyne has 10 and Mane has 7. Again a good indicator of consistency. 

WhoScored is great for finding specific stats e.g. times dispossessed or pass success rate but its overall rating system is a hot pile of trash.

It essentially just takes a whole bunch of statistics, with no real real-time context applied, and assigns each one a positive or negative score i.e. Adama seems to pick up a shed-load of points partly due to the sheer amount of successful dribbles he makes and the fouls he draws - Whether he's actually achieved anything with it or that it was the correct/best decision in that moment or not.

FWIW I do like him and he's an awesome weapon to have but he is the ultimate highlights player.

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I work in Wolverhampton so know lots of wolves fans, and as a result watch them a lot. I’m also pretty good mates with a respected Wolves journalist.

not that it proves anything but their view is far closer to mine than it is to yours. 

he’s a good player. He’s improved loads since he was with us. 

But he’s not top quality

Again I am sure that's right and again your entitled to your opinion. I advise at least 18 different footballers, 7 CEO/Chairmen of PL football clubs and have close links to the 2 biggest football agencies in world football. The majority of which have mentioned him when we've talked football as being one of a kind and a footballer that could play for any team. I also have Wolves mates and they all love him and talk about how hard he works for the team. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

WhoScored is great for finding specific stats e.g. times dispossessed or pass success rate but its overall rating system is a hot pile of trash.

It essentially just takes a whole bunch of statistics, with no real real-time context applied, and assigns each one a positive or negative score i.e. Adama seems to pick up a shed-load of points partly due to the sheer amount of successful dribbles he makes and the fouls he draws - Whether he's actually achieved anything with it or that it was the correct/best decision in that moment or not.

FWIW I do like him and he's an awesome weapon to have but he is the ultimate highlights player.

Oh I agree with that largely. However, you largely get the very best players in the top 10. You don't get a random player just because they've done one thing well. Further, Adama's job is to dribble and to create. He does that very well. 

34 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Again I am sure that's right and again your entitled to your opinion. I advise at least 18 different footballers, 7 CEO/Chairmen of PL football clubs and have close links to the 2 biggest football agencies in world football. The majority of which have mentioned him when we've talked football as being one of a kind and a footballer that could play for any team. I also have Wolves mates and they all love him and talk about how hard he works for the team. 

Fair enough.

Personally I think he won't ever play for an elite team. he just doesn't have enough about his game to fit into a team like Liverpool or Man City or Barcelona etc. Maybe he could be a squad member I guess.

I still think Jack grealish is twice the player Adama will ever be. And there's other players who don't feature in Whoscored's top 10 who I'd say are far better players than Adama too. 

Edited by Stevo985

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough.

Personally I think he won't ever play for an elite team. he just doesn't have enough about his game to fit into a team like Liverpool or Man City or Barcelona etc. Maybe he could be a squad member I guess.

I still think Jack grealish is twice the player Adama will ever be. And there's other players who don't feature in Whoscored's top 10 who I'd say are far better players than Adama too. 

If grealish was quick he would be a 100m player.

But i agree grealish does more when he is on form.  He has alot more to his game than adama.

But adama is bloody quick he is a freak of nature

SSN have had an extended report about him today and it was slightly laughable in that they had to reuse footage from different angles to show one of his crosses that resulted in a goal! 

I appreciate he’s lightening quick and a cracking athlete but I still don’t see him being any closer to being the finished article as a player. I think this is shown by him still being used as a super sub more than a starter.

For me, he’s a YouTube/Highlights player where you only see the brief glimpses of decent ability but no doubt he gets fans off their seats when he gets going.

never worth the touted £100m valuation though 😂

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If grealish was quick he would be a 100m player.

But i agree grealish does more when he is on form.  He has alot more to his game than adama.

But adama is bloody quick he is a freak of nature

Gabby was quick too.

To be a top tier player you need far more than speed. You need an end product and a brain. And while Adama is improving in both of those things, I don't see him ever being complete enough to play for those kinds of teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough.

I agree Jack is a much better footballer. No comparison. However what I meant about level was more about output and value. Ie Messi is a much much better footballer than Ronaldo but Ronaldo is on a similar level in terms of output and  value. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I agree Jack is a much better footballer. No comparison. However what I meant about level was more about output and value. Ie Messi is a much much better footballer than Ronaldo but Ronaldo is on a similar level in terms of output and  value. 

Ok fair enough. I don't agree on the value part though.

Sorry to interrupt the flow, I still think he plays like Tony Daley, obviously much stronger - almost 90's computer beat-em-up physique.  I loved Daley, but he was often too quick for the rest of the team let alone the opposition.

I said it before Adama is brilliantly entertaining to watch and has certainly improved since he left Villa but he is as much a YouTube player as Pogba is and sadly that is marketable now to some clubs. Ask any casual fan or a kid who they prefer to watch Adama or Kevin De Bruyne and they would mostly say Adama for his style

Ask any coach and they would tell you the opposite

On the stats I'd like to see times he beat a man vs successful crosses or chances created

That's where you would see his problem

In the game vs us at their place he got an assist and hit the bar... But he beat both Targett and Taylor around 10+ times, what's his end product all the other times?

Then he steps up a level to EL or CL and he only beats his man 3 or 4 times a game maybe less... Agree with stevo he's not top quality, he's exciting and it clouds judgement, he easily beats a defender with raw pace before smashing a cross 5 yards over everyone's head and people say "what a run, he's brilliant" he does that every game multiple times 

• Like 1

Adama is perfect for Wolves. A team that sits deep and plays on the break. If he moved to a top team that had to break down defences he would be nowhere near as effective. I think he is a very good player but I do think he is excelling in his current set up and role. 

• Like 1

He's a lot better than most of you are giving him credit for.  He certainly has things to improve on, he should have scored more this year, but the delta is positive and he's on an upwards trend, plus he has age on his side.

I see a lot of the old remarks about end product and that he's nothing but a speed merchant, these things just aren't true, he has a lot more to his game.  He and Raul has the most goal combinations in the league which tells you he does have end product, and his understanding of the game has come on leaps and bounds.

As a few examples, he's learned how to use his body to shield, his defensive game has come on, he marked Sterling out of the game in Manchester, he releases the ball at better times now, and his dribbling ability is much more than speed.

He's a very good footballer who will continue to improve.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Andy81 said:

He's a lot better than most of you are giving him credit for.  He certainly has things to improve on, he should have scored more this year, but the delta is positive and he's on an upwards trend, plus he has age on his side.

I see a lot of the old remarks about end product and that he's nothing but a speed merchant, these things just aren't true, he has a lot more to his game.  He and Raul has the most goal combinations in the league which tells you he does have end product, and his understanding of the game has come on leaps and bounds.

As a few examples, he's learned how to use his body to shield, his defensive game has come on, he marked Sterling out of the game in Manchester, he releases the ball at better times now, and his dribbling ability is much more than speed.

He's a very good footballer who will continue to improve.

Got to agree with this. Reading this thread it feels like it could have been copied and pasted from 2016. He's come on leaps and bounds since then. Even his crossing has improved. He is much better at releasing the ball now and generally his all-round game has improved a lot even from his Boro days. He still has a ways to go and I like that Nuno recognizes this. To him, Adama isn't even close to the finished article. Makes me wonder how much he can improve under him.

• Like 1

Â