Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

French newspaper Oueste France is reporting that Aston Villa have agreed to a €10 million fee for the transfer of Jordan Veretout from FC Nantes. The report is yet another in the continuing stream from the French press, and while I'm not ready to say that this is a done deal yet, it seems highly unlikely that we'd be getting this many stories from this many sources if there was nothing there. The €10 million fee is roughly £7.1 million, which is a bargain by Tim Sherwood's Ligue 1 standards this summer.

So what might Villa be getting? As I wrote earlier, Veretout is a box-to-box midfielder somewhat in the mold of Idrissa Gueye. He's a bit more defensively minded than is Gueye, but that doesn't mean that he can't get forward, as exemplified by his seven goals and six assists in thirty-six Ligue 1 appearances last year. But what really stands out to me in the videos that I can find are his combination of pace and control. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't have Gabby Agbonlahor speed, but he can cut through midfields and defenses with ease when he's not on the ball, and he has great confidence when he does have the ball.

The video below gives a good sampling of his skills, but as always: take it with a grain of salt. It's a highlight video, and that's a format that could make even most of us look good. Look for the skills here rather than any individual highlight.

One thing that stands out in particular is that he seems awfully skilled at set pieces. That could be a refreshing addition to an Aston Villa team who haven't had that seemingly in living memory!

Clicky

Bit of info from a fan.

Cant imbed the vid, but its obviously on the blog

Edited by Nigel

Sounds like a very promising player to me.

An upgrade on Cleverley. Get him in and along with Gueye once they settle they will have us forgetting the largely unimpressive midfield of last season.

Now just the cherry on top.....

Really hoping this is true and cynically thinking we're not being used to flush out other interest.

Nantes have sort of been a second team for me since going on holiday in southern Brittany & the west coast of France from the early 90's. With plenty of highs and lows following them.

I'd be worried about them next season as they severely lack goals up front and he was a big part of the goals that were scored. Hopefully we get him and they spend the money well.

He is exactly the sort of style player we needed to add in midfield, so hopefully it's great news.

Edited just too add if we do get him hopefully he is a lot more successful than the 2 former Nantes midfielders that we've had in Berson & Djemba Djemba.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC

if we get him then our midfield has been given a bit of a boost I reckon. I don't think all of our current midfielders are completely useless, such as Sanchez, Gil (from the little we've seen), Grealish and Sinclair. so I don't expect next season to be as much of a sensory deprivation as last season undoubtedly was. here's to optimism!

I'm more than a little suspicious that this might have started out as a joke that has been lost in translation and the been picked elsewhere.

Just seems unlikely to be true to me but would be happy if it is.

the French have no sense of humor
  • Like 2

Our French strategy is quite clever. It is like we are building a little French community.  If I was a young French player looking for a good club to start in ‘la Premier League’ I could think of no better place than ‘la grande Aston Vila’ at the moment.

Bien fait Tim bien fait!!

Edited  by Gary Thomas

Our French strategy is quite clever. It is like we are building a little French community.  If I was a young French player looking for a good club to start in ‘la Premier League’ I could think of no better place than ‘la grande Aston Vila’ at the moment.

or Nouveau-Chateau les Geordies? 

Does anybody know the duty free allowance for Jordans?

Trick is, put all the legit Jordans in the back where customs can see them easy, then shove any more Jordans under the front seats.

Bien fait Tim bien fait!!

Didn't work too well for Newcastle.......

I'm more than a little suspicious that this might have started out as a joke that has been lost in translation and the been picked elsewhere.

the French have no sense of humor

Excellent point and brutally well made.

Why would Veretout be unlikely?
Not saying he is unlikely more I find it unlikely Sherwood has targeted three players this window with the same name, just seems unlikely to me.

As for the player I've never heard of him and I've certainly haven't heard anything either way in relation to this link.

The cynercism is all my own :)

As I said in another thread, Johnathan Johnson is reporting this is happening so it must be true.

@Jon_LeGossip: Per L'Equipe, AVFC are closing in on Nantes' Jordan Veretout. FCN president Waldemar Kita says deal almost done with a "large English club."

He's been on point with all three French signings so far. He's a French football journo who happens to also be a villa fan.

Edited by mightysasquatch

Â