Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

Re the high rate of tax in France, I imagine that the players singed from there will be on pretty reasonable wages. Even if we matched their current salaries they'd earn more in England. Add 20% on top of what ever they used to earn and they're getting a good deal, and so are we.

Our French strategy is quite clever. It is like we are building a little French community.  If I was a young French player looking for a good club to start in ‘la Premier League’ I could think of no better place than ‘la grande Aston Vila’ at the moment.

Bien fait Tim bien fait!!

Didn't work too well for Newcastle.......

indeed, let's hope it works out better for us.

Our French strategy is quite clever. It is like we are building a little French community. If I was a young French player looking for a good club to start in ‘la Premier League’ I could think of no better place than ‘la grande Aston Vila’ at the moment.

In fairness Newcastle had like 10 players out of 18 all French at one point and Dummett was the only homegrown player at times starting. Completely different here.

hmmm 5 foot 8.

We really are going to be fielding a small team next year.

Seeing some of the articles on this guy he will be the pick of all our summer signings if it happens.

links pls

Wikipedia says close to 5'10" - which, if true, isn't THAT small. If Sanchez plays, he can be our big rock in midfield (if he decides to perform). Delph and Cleverley were 5'9" each, same with Westwood.

Let's put it this way, Barca haven't got the biggest players!

Mangetout!

Like Trent, suspicious of this one. Very happy if it's true though... It just seems wrong somehow. I could see it being a dry gag that had been lost in translation fairly easily. And journalists regularly follow the herd...

hmmm 5 foot 8.

Seeing some of the articles on this guy he will be the pick of all our summer signings if it happens.

links pls

This is an ebook, will also download on mobile.

http://frenchfootballweekly.com/download/Le502015.pdf

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-target-jordan-veretout-undoubtedly-4869696

• Like 1

Veretout is a bit more defensively minded than is Gueye, but that doesn't mean that he can't get forward, as exemplified by his seven goals and six assists in thirty-six Ligue 1 appearances last year.

I am not having a pop at the snake but that is twice as many goals as he managed in 81 appearances - his entire PL career with us! 

Our French strategy is quite clever. It is like we are building a little French community. If I was a young French player looking for a good club to start in ‘la Premier League’ I could think of no better place than ‘la grande Aston Vila’ at the moment.

In fairness Newcastle had like 10 players out of 18 all French at one point and Dummett was the only homegrown player at times starting. Completely different here.

Well it makes Villa a more attractive proposition to good French players like Jordan Veretout and that has to be a good thing doesn't it?

You say "it didn't work too well for Newcastle" but we are hardly comparable in terms of numbers.  It is also worth noting that they finished 10th in 2014 and were sitting at 10th before Pardew left – I would take 10th this season thank you very much....

Oh, and Arsenal have about 5 French players and they seem to do OK…

Edited by Gary Thomas

Veretout is a bit more defensively minded than is Gueye, but that doesn't mean that he can't get forward, as exemplified by his seven goals and six assists in thirty-six Ligue 1 appearances last year.

I am not having a pop at the snake but that is twice as many goals as he managed in 81 appearances - his entire PL career with us!

Well it makes Villa a more attractive proposition to good French players like Jordan Veretout and that has to be a good thing doesn't it?

You say "it didn't work too well for Newcastle" but we are hardly comparable in terms of numbers. It is also worth noting that they finished 10th in 2014 and were sitting at 10th before Pardew left – I would take 10th this season thank you very much....

Oh, and Arsenal have about 5 French players and they seem to do OK…

I think everyone of us if offered a top 10 finish would snatch that right up!

hmmm 5 foot 8.

links pls

This is an ebook, will also download on mobile.

http://frenchfootballweekly.com/download/Le502015.pdf

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-target-jordan-veretout-undoubtedly-4869696

That mirror one ....

Back in 2013 the France midfield of Paul Pogba and Geoffrey Kondogbia were shining stars as Les Bleus were crowned World Champions at the Under-20 World Cup.

The Juventus and Monaco midfielders were the standout performers, but next to them, doing the hard work in their shadows was FC Nantes midfielder Jordan Veretout.

Since then, plenty of the squad have gone on to bigger things. Florian Thauvin moved to Lille briefly, before joining Marseille. Lucas Digne also left Lille for Paris Saint-Germain and Veretout could be the next player from this talented team to move to pastures new with Arsenal showing interest in the 21-year-old.

Last season was Les Canaris first season back in the top flight and Veretout didn’t enjoy the best of Ligue 1 debuts, sent off for two yellow cards during the goalless draw with Bastia. After sitting out, the box-to-box midfielder settled down and went on to have a very promising season.

Nantes spent most of the campaign in the top half, but eventually finished 13th. They were expected to build upon their success, but a transfer embargo stopped the club from making any signings this summer.

With a lack of options and a few loan deals made permanent, the emphasis at the Stade de Beaujoire has been on youth and Veretout has taken that opportunity and run with it.

Veretout stats 2014/15

Appearances

Goals

Assists

Without doubt, the France under-21 international has been Nantes' best player this season, and after just one goal and four assists last season, Veretout has blossomed this season and current has six goals and three assists in the league.

Coach Michel Der Zakarian has mostly played 4-2-3-1 this season, Veretout has done his best work behind the striker, but at times they have flirted with 4-4-2 and the midfielder has impressed just as much when asked to battle and fight.

Veretout is not an out-and-out playmaker in the Mesut Ozil, Cesc Fabregas mould, but he is actually quite similar to another Arsenal midfielder, Aaron Ramsey. Both took a little longer than expected to start fulfilling their potential, they have the similar ability to play in the combative midfield role, but are better when given license to be creative in the final third.

Both Ramsey and Veretout also have that instinct to time their runs from deep to perfection, not to mention the same dreadful facial hair.

Stuart MacFarlane Arsenal-v-Crystal-Palace-Premier-League.
Talent: Ramsey has developed his game with runs from deep

FC Nantes will be keen to hold on to all of their players come the opening of the January window, their current transfer embargo would mean that they couldn’t replace him this season, even if Arsenal matched the reported £4 million released clause.

With Veretout’s contract not up until 2017 there is plenty of time for Les Canaris to make a profit on their young prodigy. For Arsenal, the similarities to Ramsey would ask the question as to why they would want to add another player of that mould.

As talented a player as Veretout clearly is, he is not the defensive answer that Wenger should be looking for this winter.

Â