Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Oh, ok. So when your opinion changes, your opinion will change? ;)

I thought maybe you were looking for more goals or assists, chances created, something along those lines.

I kind of thought that went without saying. I've already explained my view so obviously my opinion will change when his performances improve in the areas I've detailed.

I pretty much agree with Trent. He's got loads of natural ability and sod all game awareness. The lack of awarenes means he's not nearly as effective as would otherwise be the case, and I think it's the reason why people keep thinking "he'll score a couple next week surely" and then never does. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, andym said:

3 goals and 4 assists this season, which on the face of it is not amazing, but it does actually make him one of our more productive players. He is probably our best set piece taker as well (close to another assist against Brighton when Kodjias header hit the bar).

To be fair to him, he has played a lot as a wide midfielder this season, so its not a surprise his attacking numbers are not stand out. And one thing that tends to get overlooked is how he sticks to his defensive duties - he works hard, tracks back, and has made a lot of tackles. 

He is quite similar to Adomah actually - i think in terms of end product both are lacking a bit, but the rest of their game cant be faulted.

I also think for both of them the lack of end product is partly due to our weak centre midfield. They are having to do more defending than they would probably like, but then they are expected to go straight on the attack and create with minimal support in the middle of the pitch. Watch how many times they get the ball out wide, get doubled up, look inside for a pass and find Jedinak, Gardner or Westwood hiding 30 yards behind. They then invariably have to try and take multiple players on, and risk losing it. 

I think you make a good point Andy

There are elements of our team playing very well....The Midfield for me as a unit is not strong enough to be competing at the top end of the table.

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

I pretty much agree with Trent. He's got loads of natural ability and sod all game awareness. The lack of awarenes means he's not nearly as effective as would otherwise be the case, and I think it's the reason why people keep thinking "he'll score a couple next week surely" and then never does. 

good point Pete.

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don't understand why people want to get rid of Ayew.  This thread has gone straight up bizarre and I think it's purely because certain people just don't like him.  Maybe he's not "happy" enough for them.

He's got more assists than anyone else in our squad and is second only to Ross McCormack in terms of creating chances per game, whilst also making more tackles per game than anyone else and having the best passing accuracy at Villa.  Only Grealish is fouled more often than him.

He makes the wrong decision at times and possibly hasn't scored enough (then again, who has?), but is, for me, our best footballer and offers pretty much everything you'd want from an attacking wide player.  Getting rid would be a ridiculous call.

Was going to post pretty much exactly this, but you did it for me :). Would add that he's certainly not playing as a forward. Given how we are playing, he often receives the ball quite deep, and generally only has 2 other "attacking" players ahead of him, which I think explains our low goals tally (relative to our attacking talent). 

Despite Jedinak's good recent form, I think the fact that he needs 2 more workhorses beside him hurts us, as our 3 CMs offer very little going forward. At least one quality CM is needed in January, and I think this could free us to play 4231, rather on having to counter from deep with just 3 players and the odd burst from Amavi or (shudder) Hutton.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The flaws in his game would exist even in league 2. He isn't very intelligent and he makes shit decision after shit decision. His youth coaches should hang their head in shame.

Looks like you've accidently posted about Gabby in another player's thread

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Came here to slag off Ayew, but decided I would rather kick a puppy.

For the record I would never kick a puppy.

Only just caught up with your post. I've been out drowning kittens.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

the only thing wrong with Ayew is he is greedy sometimes. I think this is a hangover from last year and even the start of this season when we were crap and his desire to win made him try to do it on his own. Hopefully Bruce will sort this. If you go off of facts or stats. I'd bet he is up there in our top assists and goals scored.  Up until a few weeks ago he had the most MOTM awards for us. He was also top of the ratings and was regularly in the teams of the week. I'm sure there's someone who can give an upto date version of this but that shows he is one of our better players and one of the better ones in the league. 

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Ayew 33% total goal involvement. The same as Kodjia. 2 players from our squad making up 66% of a goals and some want to write off one of those players. Beyond laughable

I think our goals total isn't enough. Credit to ayew for a helping hand in the few goals that we score - but we need to up the total amount of goals scored. In a sense does Ayew's contribution to a goals total that won't be enough matter ? - For example if he was involved in 70% of villa's goals scored - but we are only scoring 1 per game - then its still not enough.

Basically unless someone other than Kjodia starts finding the back of the net on a regular basis we won't score enough goals to get promoted. Prime candidates who should be scoring more goals are the other forward players aside Kjodia. So if we want promotion Ayew, Grealish, Adomah or players we buy to replace them have got to start scoring more goals.

Â