Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

At times he can look head and shoulders above but when you boil him down to his end product it is not anywhere near enough.

End product is something I am hoping we progress in to with many players, because at present we are a bit iffy.

20 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

He holds the ball and can beat a player. His pace is good and his shooting isn't horrible.

So... why do we need Gabby instead?

Not much game time lately either. I know it's the system, but, I have a sneaky feeling he'll be moving on in Jan to free up some spending elsewhere to stay within FFP...

3 goals and 4 assists this season, which on the face of it is not amazing, but it does actually make him one of our more productive players. He is probably our best set piece taker as well (close to another assist against Brighton when Kodjias header hit the bar).

To be fair to him, he has played a lot as a wide midfielder this season, so its not a surprise his attacking numbers are not stand out. And one thing that tends to get overlooked is how he sticks to his defensive duties - he works hard, tracks back, and has made a lot of tackles. 

He is quite similar to Adomah actually - i think in terms of end product both are lacking a bit, but the rest of their game cant be faulted.

I also think for both of them the lack of end product is partly due to our weak centre midfield. They are having to do more defending than they would probably like, but then they are expected to go straight on the attack and create with minimal support in the middle of the pitch. Watch how many times they get the ball out wide, get doubled up, look inside for a pass and find Jedinak, Gardner or Westwood hiding 30 yards behind. They then invariably have to try and take multiple players on, and risk losing it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

On his day he's the best player in the Championship.

When he's not on his day, he works hard and remains a threat to create something out of nothing. We'd be much poorer without him.

Also doesn't have enough of those days. I must admit I'm very surprised at his lack of goals so far. There were a few games last season where he looked excellent against much higher level of opposition, I really expected him to walk through this league and score around the 15 mark, still time, but he hasn't looked particularly clinical or even demonstrated a huge amount of awareness in front of goal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

He holds the ball and can beat a player. His pace is good and his shooting isn't horrible.

So... why do we need Gabby instead?

I actually think it's more the fact that he was just on international duty, AND by account had a terrible game. My point is more on the former though.

I don't really think it's about "needing Gabby instead".

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

On his day he's the best player in the Championship.

When he's not on his day, he works hard and remains a threat to create something out of nothing. We'd be much poorer without him.

I think that's quite a claim. 

21 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm not sure why he showed nothing last season to suggest he would.

He still scored 7 in one of the worst ever top flight teams so I don't think it was wildly optimistic to think he could manage around 15 this season.

I think general performances he's been good but goal record has been very disappointing.

I think he needs to be the lead goal getter to prosper, but that is never going to happen. 

He is one of the better players in the Championship, and if he was playing for someone else we might covet him.

Needs better end product, needs to strike up a relationship with another goal scorer. Seemed less greedy vs Brighton, maybe Bruce has had a word?

11 hours ago, Derryvillan said:

I don't think theres room for him and Grealish in the same team.We need suppliers and he aint one.

I strongly disagree. We looked superb with both of them on the pitch against Brighton and I would like it to remain that way. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't really understand the route this thread has gone down, I thought he was the standout player on the pitch on Friday. 

I can't see how anyone would think he was the standout player on Friday but leaving that aside the thread reflects views on him not just limited to the Brighton game.

He has been a hugely disappointing player at Villa both this season and in his time here. 

We've dropped a division and yet he is even less effective/consistent.

To be honest I can't see what others see in him for him to be labelled the best in the division on his day.

There is a lack of meaningful end product to his game, he lacks either awareness of team mates or the desire to pass to them I'm unsure which, and he gives the ball away and slows down play.

I don't don't his effort or work rate but I'd like to see a little more from him because right now I don't think he is contributing enough.

Little cameo's like 20 mins against Forest show there is ability but that isn't enough to do it in fits and starts now and again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ok. 

Your view is so far towards the other end of the spectrum there's zero point in us getting into a debate about it, we'd never reach a middle ground. But thank you for taking the time to explain. 

When facts change so do my views, so you are right the only thing that will change my view on him is his performances on the pitch. Likewise you I'd imagine mate.

I'm not seeking to change people's views, just explaining mine because that way as you say even if people don't agree they understand the reason for them. I wouldn't want it to be assumed it's because he has a face like a 2 year old when they are told no more sweets.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I can't see how anyone would think he was the standout player on Friday but leaving that aside the thread reflects views on him not just limited to the Brighton game.

He has been a hugely disappointing player at Villa both this season and in his time here. 

We've dropped a division and yet he is even less effective/consistent.

To be honest I can't see what others see in him for him to be labelled the best in the division on his day.

There is a lack of meaningful end product to his game, he lacks either awareness of team mates or the desire to pass to them I'm unsure which, and he gives the ball away and slows down play.

I don't don't his effort or work rate but I'd like to see a little more from him because right now I don't think he is contributing enough.

Little cameo's like 20 mins against Forest show there is ability but that isn't enough to do it in fits and starts now and again.

Every time I see him play I think "next week he will surely bag a couple of goals" next week comes round he doesn't score but his general performance leaves me thinking "next week he will surely bag a couple of goals" . This has been going for a while now. I have run out out of patience - I think the lack of goals from him is a major flaw in his game. Throw in the fact we have another in Grealish who has the same flaw and you can see why we don't score many goals - 2 of our forwards are actually pretty bad at scoring goals. 

Im sure Brucey will have noticed this - if he funds I reckon he will address it in the jan Window.

7 hours ago, Farlz said:

I strongly disagree. We looked superb with both of them on the pitch against Brighton and I would like it to remain that way. 

2 forward players who struggle to score is always going to be a problem. 

Â