Emmanuel Adebayor

yayoboy

allow me to dare to be different here and focus on the positives but I think Adebayour is a fantastic player. He is a monster of a guy, strong and tall, graceful technique and a real eye for goal. Yes, his body language looks a bit lazy sometimes but he comes alive in the box and his goalscoring record at top teams is very good.

People seem to be obsessed with his private life but Sherwood will only sign him if he feels it isnt a factor and quite frankly from what I have read his family are utter dirtbags who treat him fairly appallingly. He is the kind of player who needs to feel wanted and I think if Villa create the right, stable environment and support he could be a massive asset to us.

So what if he earns a lot of money - his ability imho warrants it and i'll stick my neck out and say I hope we sign him. I've always enjoyed watching him play and I think his presence in the dressing room would be massive for the younger players

Not saying that most if not all of the above is true, but unfortunately his private life and his personality completely destabilise his exceptional talent. Most don't dispute his footballing ability, but he is up there with Balotelli when it comes to being a precious/fragile snowflake. Or at least that's how it seems as outsiders.

Surely if he was anywhere near what he could be he would play week in week out, instead of a few games a season.

Sherwood clearly could potentially get the best out of him, he's done it once. But he is a huge risk. I would rather we looked at all other options from home and abroad before we go down this road, unless its a season long loan and Spurs pay some of his wages.

I think he would have played more if it wasnt for the freakishly good season Harry Kane had last year. Everything that boy touched went into the back of the net, and in a lone striker system even Benteke would have struggled to start ahead of him last year. He was simply undroppable.

And DDID makes a valid point - I also dont think the other players will care about what he is getting paid - it isnt their employer who gave him the contract so it isnt comparable.

I say take the risk - I wouldnt be dull whatever happens

No i kinda agree, but he did seem to spend a lot of last season on some form of family related compasionate leave which has been a re-occurring theme in recent years. I think we would be very p*ssed off if a player we were paying 50-70K (presuming Spurs do subsidise his wages) suddenly took a month off for non-footballing reasons.

if we can get a promising youngster in from europe for at least 10-15mil of our transfer kitty then getting Adebeyor for one season as back up, definitely. But if our entire attacking focus revolves around him (like it did Benteke) then PLEASE GOD NO!

Edited by VillanousOne

Baros I think was a success when he was fit

Not really, he ran abotu a bit in an alice band with his head down ignoring everyone. Is that a success?

Bars scored a lot of goals for us and arguably his goals kept us up in does final season

We sold Andi Weimann for £2.5m and he was reportedly on £25k a week. Would I pay £3.5m and £25k a week (one year deal) for Adebayor? Absolutely I would.

Did I miss something? Is Adebaydonkey available for £25k a week? Is this some dodgy Wonga deal that'll come back to bite us in the ass?

We sold Andi Weimann for £2.5m and he was reportedly on £25k a week. Would I pay £3.5m and £25k a week (one year deal) for Adebayor? Absolutely I would.

Did I miss something? Is Adebaydonkey available for £25k a week? Is this some dodgy Wonga deal that'll come back to bite us in the ass?

The reports are that Spurs just want rid of his £100k wages. How true it is I don't know, but that's what I was working off.. So that's £5m total. £25k a week + £3.5m is (just under) £5m. As Trent said above, it's how much total we have to pay to get him, not just the weekly wage.

Mind you, I'd rather we pay a fee and £25k a week wages so that none of other players get the idea that they could earn £100k a week.

How will the other players feel about him getting 100k a week? I think he will be bad for the dressing room and a gamble not worth taking. 

Will they really care? "That guys on more than me - I hate him and i won't play." 

How will the other players feel about him getting 100k a week? I think he will be bad for the dressing room and a gamble not worth taking.

Will they really care? "That guys on more than me - I hate him and i won't play."

No but they can kick up a fuss and request new contracts when they see a 6 foot plus oaf getting paid a ridiculous sum even though he is not worth half of that

• Like 1

No but they can kick up a fuss and request new contracts when they see a 6 foot plus oaf getting paid a ridiculous sum even though he is not worth half of that

Oaf? You've got to be having a laugh.

He'd be one of the most talented strikers if not players we've had a Villa park for many years. The guys played at the very highest level at some huge clubs throughout his career and maintained a great goal score ratio at practically all of them.

• Like 4

Replacing Benteke with Adebayor  is my worst fear. 

he has a goal to game ratio of 1:2.5 in Premier League games, he is hardly Emile HEskey or Bobby Zamora

that would be your worst fear

I do hope we are in for another striker as well. I have nightmares of losing Milner and replacing him with Ireland. This has all the hallmarks of that deal.

Yes except Ireland was early 20s when we signed him, Adebayor will be 32 next season. Really hope that isn't all we are going to get because if it is we will be in for another relegation battle and Adebayor isn't the type of player you want in that scenario. 

Replacing Benteke with Adebayor  is my worst fear. 

he has a goal to game ratio of 1:2.5 in Premier League games, he is hardly Emile HEskey or Bobby Zamora

that would be your worst fear

yes but he's a has been. 

• Like 1

I do hope we are in for another striker as well. I have nightmares of losing Milner and replacing him with Ireland. This has all the hallmarks of that deal.

Yes except Ireland was early 20s when we signed him, Adebayor will be 32 next season. Really hope that isn't all we are going to get because if it is we will be in for another relegation battle and Adebayor isn't the type of player you want in that scenario.

Adebayor isn't the sort of player you want in any situation.
  • Like 1

Baros I think was a success when he was fit

Not really, he ran abotu a bit in an alice band with his head down ignoring everyone. Is that a success?

Bars scored a lot of goals for us and arguably his goals kept us up in does final season

A little off-topic, but I Googled Baros as I didn't remember his scoring record being that great for us. The thing that is still leaving me a little befuddled though is that he's still only 33! I could have sworn he was 30 when he joined us.

Also he's had a career of nothing since he left us.

But anyway... I would be cautiously optimistic about getting Adebayor for a season or two. He's scored goals consistently throughout his career at different clubs and I've seen him a number of times be an absolute handful for opposition defences. Also, tbh I need some causes for optimism because it's all feeling a bit bleak recently.

Been reminding myself of the sort of player Adebayor is, watching his goals from Arsenal, City and Spurs.

Not sure when everyone became mental health professionals, but on a loan deal and in the position we're in we really cannot turn our noses up at him.

• Like 2