Emmanuel Adebayor

yayoboy

On his day he's as good as Benteke imo.  Not sure if he can be as good as 2 years ago though.

no chance Benteke is a much better striker and Adebayor's day was 6 years ago in August

On his day he's as good as Benteke imo.  Not sure if he can be as good as 2 years ago though.

no chance Benteke is a much better striker and Adebayor's day was 6 years ago in August

Sort of my point.  He was a very good player quite a few years ago.

Four of Adebayor's seasons in the Prem have seen him finish with a better than 1 in 2 goals to games ratio, across 3 different clubs. His best season saw him fire 24 goals. On his day he was up there with what we've seen from Benteke over the last 2-3 years.

Two things.  Firstly I still don't agree that the Adebayor of 2 or 6 years ago is as good as Benteke is.  But secondly, EVEN IF he was, that was 2 or 6 years ago and is therefore completely irrelevant regarding this transfer.  But mainly the first bit.

• Like 3

Hate to be pedantic and point this out, but technically sherwood was at Spurs with Ade one year ago.

End of 2013-14 was when Tim had Spurs and got Ade scoring, albeit after AVB had made him train with the youth team for the start of the season.

Yes it's a full season later, but two years it ain't.

I think Timmy has a good relationship with him, yes he has issues and it would be very stupid to rely solely on Ade to keep us up. Two additional strikers and a good deal on this and I'd put full faith in Tim to deliver

Getting Adebayor on loan for no fee and low (ish) wages could be a brilliant bit of business IF he's up for playing a bit of football.

It could also be a total waste of money, disruptive to the squad harmony, hindering us of pursuing other targets, us getting shafted by Spurs (again)...

With Adebayor (and Sherwood) you just don't know, but going into the season resting our attacking threat on the shoulders of Adebayor is a massive gamble imo.

If this was Lambert's Villa, I'd say no chance. Sherwood is what gives me hope on this one.

I'm not so sure. Adebayor is a law unto himself and his meltdown over the past year only renders him even more unpredictable. I'd rather avoid this one personally and if it goes badly, it could blow up in the manager's face. However the risk is partly mitigated if it's a loan. So I'll accept it on the basis that it is in addition to another [bigger] striker signing.

I'm not sure this is the right bloke to fix our troubles. In preseason I've been impressed with Gils through balls. We would see the best out of Gil and grealish with a fast forward such as Gabby, Remy or herdanez. If we were to go with Abebayor we need change the system and play with width with two wingers like the old days with Young and Downing.

Replacing Benteke with Adebayor is my worst fear.

he has a goal to game ratio of 1:2.5 in Premier League games, he is hardly Emile HEskey or Bobby Zamora

that would be your worst fear

Should have kept Bent then?

I really feel there is a before/after with Adebayor since the Togo national side shooting at the 2010 African Cup of Nations.

Since then he really hasn't seem to have been fully focused (and i don't blame him)

He's had his odd blip in form, the biggest one was under Sherwood, but i have my doubts he'll ever be a solid performer again. Especially with his family not helping things

I agree absolutely zero chance. The guys is 31, lazy, poor attitude. everything Tekkers is not

• Like 1

He plays well when fighting for a contract so bringing him in just to the end of the season and telling him we will discuss renewal then could be a masterstroke.

I dint like him that much but he does know how to stick the ball in the net more than our current bunch of strikers

The thing about Adebayor is that he wouldn't represent as good value for any other club. He would be sold for what his market price is to everyone. He has particular value for Villa because Sherwood has worked with and gotten the best out of him previously. And so therefore he represents value for money at his market price (which takes into account his age, and any concerns as to whether his heart is in it) more for us than anyone else. He is a good fit on that basis. A calculated risk based on the information Tim has about him, compared to our idle speculation about his frame of mind and opinion on him which is coloured by the fact that he is one of those players that doesn't endear himself to opposition fans.

• Like 2

The poor attitude thing is a bit of a myth though. He has had a lot of personal issues in last few seasons with his team bus being shot at and having issues with his family

that will have an effect on anybody

The poor attitude thing is a bit of a myth though. He has had a lot of personal issues in last few seasons with his team bus being shot at and having issues with his family

It's not that the guy's necessarily got a poor attitude, it's more that he's completely temperamental and possibly combustible.  For a side in dire need of a steady upwards trajectory those are pretty major concerns.

Loan plus a major young talent seems the way.  That could, potentially, work out very, very well for us.

It isnt a myth