Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

He's undoubtedly one our best signings this summer (if not the best) but still has someway to go to be considered better than Delph. Gana hasn't made enough of an impact to be considered the better player.

Delph's impact was seriously minimal.  I think, because he's gone to Man City, people have overstated his importance to us.  He was a significant part of a terrible midfield and contributed 3 goals as the "more attacking" of the lot (the excitement around signing him from Leeds, for me, was about his shooting ability).

He had some great games.  He dominated the Chelsea midfield when we won 1-0 at Villa Park - in which he contributed 1 of his goals too.  However, he was incredibly frustrating to watch, more often ran in to blind alleys than do anything else and offered very little end product.

I know stats aren't the be all and end all, and I have no idea how WhoScored does it's thing, but Delph's best ever season at Villa apparently lead to a 7.12 rating.  Gueye is "already" at 7.26 and we're all on the same thought level that we haven't seen the best of him.

He's just a better player.

[/obtuse] :crylaugh:

Delph is the most overrated player I have ever seen play for Villa. He was average at most except the odd good game in about 10. He was captain of the gutless cup final team and a headless footballer.

whatever the situation we are in now I dont think Delph would make us any better

• Like 1

He's undoubtedly one our best signings this summer (if not the best) but still has someway to go to be considered better than Delph. Gana hasn't made enough of an impact to be considered the better player.

Delph's impact was seriously minimal.  I think, because he's gone to Man City, people have overstated his importance to us.  He was a significant part of a terrible midfield and contributed 3 goals as the "more attacking" of the lot (the excitement around signing him from Leeds, for me, was about his shooting ability).

He had some great games.  He dominated the Chelsea midfield when we won 1-0 at Villa Park - in which he contributed 1 of his goals too.  However, he was incredibly frustrating to watch, more often ran in to blind alleys than do anything else and offered very little end product.

I know stats aren't the be all and end all, and I have no idea how WhoScored does it's thing, but Delph's best ever season at Villa apparently lead to a 7.12 rating.  Gueye is "already" at 7.26 and we're all on the same thought level that we haven't seen the best of him.

LOL OK

• Like 1

LOL OK

No ur right Delph is better because <3 Delph LOLZ amirite?

I think delph was very over rated player for villa. Whether thats mostly down to lambert or not, is impossible to say. He was incredibly good taking the ball from our half into their half but after that, close to 0 end product and 0 passing ability needed for his role in the team at the time.

dont think delph > gana. But its too early to tell if gana > delph. dont think too much in them at the moment. (which is quite "impressive" for gana given it took delph a few years to get average)

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

Delph and Benteke were our best players by a country mile last season. Not over-rated at all, he made us tick. When he played well so did Villa. Without him we wouldn't have got to the cup final and would have been relegated. You cant overstate the importance he was to us. Yes right now Delph > Gana. 

Delph and Benteke were our best players by a country mile last season. Not over-rated at all, he made us tick. When he played well so did Villa. Without him we wouldn't have got to the cup final and would have been relegated. You cant overstate the importance he was to us. Yes right now Delph > Gana. 

. . . and with that line you damn him. 

Delph was awesome at breaking up play and going on surging dribbling runs but they rarely resulted in an assist or goal, more likely he would look up not know who to pass to then lose the ball or pass backwards. That's as much down to us being crap than it is him having no end product, either way it's not revisionism to say he had very little impact in most games for us even if his ability was often a class above most around him.

Then again Gabby looked class when he first broke into the team... did he ever fulfill his promise or potential, **** NO!

but back on Delph, I'll reserve judgement though until he's proven himself crap or brilliant in a good side with Citeh.

Gana has played too few games really to properly judge or compare yet, injuries and fitness plus us losing every week is distorting his importance to us.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Neville had a point when he said that the team Kmac put out was him trying to prove a point to the like of Fox and Reilly as 6 of the bench were summer signings, the other was Gil and Gana and Adama don't even make the squad. Like he was trying to prove that homegrown experience is the way to go and not the foreigners.

“I think Idrissa during the Swansea game looked tired.

“We rested him for the Southampton game but he hasn’t had that spark that we saw in the first two or three games.

“They didn’t have that sparkle in training either.

“We couldn’t play people here and say after 20 minutes that they look knackered.”

Mail

Maybe Neville had a point when he said that the team Kmac put out was him trying to prove a point to the like of Fox and Reilly as 6 of the bench were summer signings, the other was Gil and Gana and Adama don't even make the squad. Like he was trying to prove that homegrown experience is the way to go and not the foreigners.

If that was his intention he failed pretty spectacularly and managed to prove exactly the opposite.

Well KMac is a **** moron then.He can shove his theory and opinion up his arse, along with his p45.

Didn't work. 

Ayew and Gil were our best players when we came on and Gestede looked a threat too if he got service.

If that was KMac's plan, then all Fox and Reilly would have seen was Villa playing like absolute shite until 3 new (ish in the case of Gil) came off the bench and saved our blushes.

• Like 1

Â