Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

Any word on whats his squad number will be?

Don't think official squad numbers have been released but at the Forest game he wore the number 8 shirt.

Amavi wore 3, Richards wore 4, Bunn wore 1 (worryingly), Crespo wore 23 (I think), Veretout wore 16 and Ayew wore 18. The rest wore their regular numbers from last season.

• Like 1

I've seen nothing of pre season.

I assume Gueye is a deep lying midfielder? i.e. playing alongside Westwood with somebody else (Veretout) sitting further forward?

No he is very much box to box but I think he could do a more defensive role quite easily. In the pre season games he has played it has been 4-4-2 so he hasnt been box to box in the mould of Delph and Cleverely last year but he definitely has that in his locker.

I think bearing in mind Veretout started as DM they both give us a lot of versatility in how we set up the middle of the park.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

Yes in my opinion at least.

He has incredible athleticism, Cleverely used to work incredibly hard but he really looked like he was busting his lungs and looked shot at the end of every game (no bad thing).

This guy seems to glide around the pitch and make a phenomenal amount of running seem quite effortless.

But to answer your questions he seems to have decent feet as did Delph and nice short passing and likes to get stuck in. That would seem to tick a lot of the Delph replacement box.

• Like 2

Just look at his whoscored stat breakdown on the OS. His strengths are everything.

Haha, I know. I thought maybe they had edited out his weaknesses. Nope.

Could be the real deal this guy.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/80464/

looking pretty solid based on those stats indeed.

that PS% stat is looking solid as ****.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

Just look at his whoscored stat breakdown on the OS. His strengths are everything.

Haha, I know. I thought maybe they had edited out his weaknesses. Nope.

Could be the real deal this guy.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/80464/

looking pretty solid based on those stats indeed.

that PS% stat is looking solid as ****.

So he does have a weakness... Crossing. 

Gueye Out. 

Yes in my opinion at least.

He has incredible athleticism, Cleverely used to work incredibly hard but he really looked like he was busting his lungs and looked shot at the end of every game (no bad thing).

This guy seems to glide around the pitch and make a phenomenal amount of running seem quite effortless.

But to answer your questions he seems to have decent feet as did Delph and nice short passing and likes to get stuck in. That would seem to tick a lot of the Delph replacement box.

Amen to all of this.  This guy is a boss.  Maybe The Boss?  Like so many of the best players he makes it all look so easy.

I was reading about Paul Scholes the other day.  Someone, I forgot who, said whenever Scholes received the ball he knew exactly where everyone else was on the pitch.  Now, in no way am I comparing the two players (I've barely seen Gueye play) but he seems to have that knack of total, controlled awareness, directing play, giving shape, seizing responsibility.  And unlike dear Scholesy he seems to lack the propensity for momentarily mistaking footballs for shins.

I think everyone knows this, but 'cohesion' is the big word right now.  It's a real challenge.

Edited by Shomin Geki

Don't think official squad numbers have been released but at the Forest game he wore the number 8 shirt.

Amavi wore 3, Richards wore 4, Bunn wore 1 (worryingly), Crespo wore 23 (I think), Veretout wore 16 and Ayew wore 18. The rest wore their regular numbers from last season.

Thanks for the info, im thinking about getting a shirt with his name on, but i think ill wait official squad numbers to be released than... also need to kknow which name he will use in the back as for Lille he used a nickname (Gana)

212498_med_fc_porto_v_lille_champions_le

I assume Gueye is a deep lying midfielder? i.e. playing alongside Westwood with somebody else (Veretout) sitting further forward?

said it after the Wolves game he is like the player we thought we were getting with Reo-Coker. Great engine but very very good on the ball

said it after the Wolves game he is like the player we thought we were getting with Reo-Coker. Great engine but very very good on the ball

NRC was a crowd favourite from memory for some strange reason.

This guy is twice the player, strong early home performances and he'll be a massive favourite with the Holte End imo.

Thanks for the info, im thinking about getting a shirt with his name on, but i think ill wait official squad numbers to be released than... also need to kknow which name he will use in the back as for Lille he used a nickname (Gana)

212498_med_fc_porto_v_lille_champions_le

Yeah, obviously it was a preseason game so they didn't have names on the backs of the shirts, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't 'Gana 8' next season.

I agree with the Delph comparisons, and even though I've only seen a couple of games and it may seem like I'm sore on Delph's messing us around, I think he's better. Then again I always thought Delph was a little overrated by some on here and maybe looked better by comparison considering we've been pretty shit the last few years.

Gueye was phenomenal on Saturday and very much box-to-box. He was in and around the opposition's 18-yard-box a number of times but was also constantly dropping back to pick up the ball from the back four. He only played the first half but he was tireless. My favourite signing of the summer so far from what I've seen.

• Like 1

This lad has got Holte End Hero written all over him, we do love a good cm at Villa Park.

Do we? I seem to remember Barry and Petrov getting a lot of stick for passing 'soidewayyyys'. 

lol...  Petrov was slated by a lot of fans by being a "crab" with no stamina or pace before the discovery of his leukemia.  I don't remember Barry getting a lot of stick at CM, but he certainly got a quite a bit on the left  and in defense.  

Â