Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

isnt this a detail that out scouts should of looked into "sorry, tim, theres going to be an issue with this one"

Yeah, they still have to follow procedure!

Normally the Scouting report will contain the line "Should keep an eye on him in case he qualifies for a work permit at a later date..."

Oh sorry, I forgot this was real life.

Yeah, I really don't understand the opening point! Looking for somebody to blame for an issue that doesn't exist. I'm sure they would have known they'd have to apply for a work permit, so what else is expected of them? Should Sherwood have called ahead at the home office and slipped them a tenner and a nice bottle of single malt?

It's a really weird post. I know that's rare on VT...

Buying players directly from France: Berson, Makoun, Sylla, Gueye.... Will he be any better?

I would like to think he will prove Six times better and that he will soon be able to say that £9m was a sound deal "because I'm worth it". ;)

I would have liked this deal to have been signed, sealed and delivered by now because as we have seen the longer it takes to get a transfer done the more likely it is that other teams will try to scupper it (as Arsenal did when Bergkamp arrived at BHX with a view to signing for us all those years ago).

Genuinely never heard of bergkamp in the verge of joining us. Is it true?

I know we we linked with him and Brian Little tried to sign him or showed interest but Bergkamp wasn't interested, how close it got I can't remember!

isnt this a detail that out scouts should of looked into "sorry, tim, theres going to be an issue with this one"

Normally the Scouting report will contain the line "Should keep an eye on him in case he qualifies for a work permit at a later date..."

Yeah, I really don't understand the opening point! Looking for somebody to blame for an issue that doesn't exist. I'm sure they would have known they'd have to apply for a work permit, so what else is expected of them? Should Sherwood have called ahead at the home office and slipped them a tenner and a nice bottle of single malt?

the point i was trying to make, was taking into the consideration the facts gained whilst scouting, surely it would of come to light that the player would have visa issues and therefore a rep from the club would make inquiries?

i apologize for having an opinion, i see only a limited few on here of vt are aloud that.

Sanchez, Delph, Westwood, Gardner, Bacuna, Gueye, Praet

Gil, Grealish, Zog, Sinclair, Robinson

Benteke, Kozak, Gabby

Plus the young guys in our U21 squad.

Not a bad team by the looks. Definitely not relegation fodder.

We'd still be in danger of relegation. We need to add more players than just Gueye and Richards IMO. 

People forget that other people add to their squads at the same time. I always laughed at United fans when they only bought Fellaini and said "yeah well we won the league last year with that squad" And I was sat there like "Yeah but you're playing new teams now ya spud." Still need a couple more. 

Edited by tomh621
  • Like 2

the point i was trying to make, was taking into the consideration the facts gained whilst scouting, surely it would of come to light that the player would have visa issues and therefore a rep from the club would make inquiries?

i apologize for having an opinion, i see only a limited few on here of vt are aloud that.

I see what you're getting at Andy, however I'm sure a multi-million pound organisation would have factored this in whilst researching him... Well, we'd hope they would!

the club to receive a clear answer as to whether they would be permitted to sign the player or not would be a start, clearly.

That's not how it works. You can't apply for a "potential" visa to work in the United Kingdom.

He will get one anyway, so again I'm not really sure what you are worrying about.

They have to go through the process, there's nothing nefarious going on here. Every club, nay every business at any level has to do the same. You're talking immigration law here!

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Buying players directly from France: Berson, Makoun, Sylla, Gueye.... Will he be any better?

I would like to think he will prove Six times better and that he will soon be able to say that £9m was a sound deal "because I'm worth it". ;)

I would have liked this deal to have been signed, sealed and delivered by now because as we have seen the longer it takes to get a transfer done the more likely it is that other teams will try to scupper it (as Arsenal did when Bergkamp arrived at BHX with a view to signing for us all those years ago).

Genuinely never heard of bergkamp in the verge of joining us. Is it true?

I know we we linked with him and Brian Little tried to sign him or showed interest but Bergkamp wasn't interested, how close it got I can't remember!

I can (as I replied on page 15). 

• Like 1

Guys relax, if there were issues over his visa he wouldn't have been let in temporarily for his medical. He's Played in France for the last 8 years so means he has residency permission for France. He'll be applying for a Tier 2 Sportsperson visa (not a work permit). He was only in the UK yesterday or day before, he'd have had to go back to France and apply. It's barely been a day, the Home Office aren't that quick...

I'm an Immigration Lawyer so I know!!

Abso-****-bang on. Thank you

• Like 2

also its very rare for clubs to go through lengthy process to sign a player if they werent sure they would get one. Also very rare a work permit rejected for Premier League clubs though Guzan was initially rejected for one

No idea where I read the 13 bit then! But still, 7 years in France, I would have thought he would have applied for dual nationality.

The mind boggles!

10 years I think?
If he joined in 2008 then it's 7 years ago...
I meant 10 years is the time you need to spend in a country before you can apply for a passport, might (probably am) wrong mind

I just googled it on Yahoo, and from many different sources it's after 5 consecutive years of living in France you can apply to become a French Citizen and obtain a passport.

He obviously doesn't have a French passport, otherwise there would be no need to apply for a work permit.

the club to receive a clear answer as to whether they would be permitted to sign the player or not would be a start, clearly.

They probably have.

All sources seem to be saying that the work permit is just a formality. So it's literally just putting the paperwork through and it's done.

So the club probably did check if there would be a problem, and there isn't.

This is literally as easy as it can be. You can't bypass the work permit application, it has to be done.

So I'm not sure what else you want? If the work permit had been rejected then you may have a point. But it hasn't.

Our press look like they may have mixed up their pounds and euros, again. L'Equipe say the fee is €9m with a possible €1.5m in add-ons. Also that he'll sign a four-year deal worth €250k-per

-month - so roughly £45k a week.

Edited by Isa

YEAH  L'Equipe are saying 4 year deal 9mil euros :)

love one  of the comments on the L'Equipe website:

Aston Villa club history but really the team that was the dirtiest to see play the entire season (Chelsea really began to play poorly after their defeat of the beautiful game against Tottenham). Kick and Rush in all its glory , a team that has only decline for 3 years. Find a creative coach AC should be the priority

YEAH L'Equipe are saying 4 year deal 9mil euros :)

love one of the comments on the L'Equipe website:

Aston Villa club history but really the team that was the dirtiest to see play the entire season (Chelsea really began to play poorly after their defeat of the beautiful game against Tottenham). Kick and Rush in all its glory a team that has only decline for 3 years. Find a creative coach AC should be the priority

Not strictly true.

We passed the ball a load between defense & midfield.

Edited by Jimzk5

Â