Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

Unless of course we've just spent the Delph money or a fraction of the Benteke money.

Fingers crossed that isn't the case.

This is my concern too!

With Villa there always seems to be a but so I am hoping that we do our business and rebuild around our best players instead of selling them to fund replacements and starting all over again, like we seem to do year after year.

Really? The last 4 years we have barely spent regardless. We've not sold anyone worthy of replacing.

If we do move Benteke on and go on to spend say, £40-50m, I'll not complain too much.

Unless of course we've just spent the Delph money or a fraction of the Benteke money.

This is my concern too!

With Villa there always seems to be a but so I am hoping that we do our business and rebuild around our best players instead of selling them to fund replacements and starting all over again, like we seem to do year after year.

I think this is likely the case, the similarities are striking.

Both 5ft 8, both aren't natural defensive players, both have a nice touch and neat pass, and neither are natural goal scorers....if he turns out anywhere near as good as Delph at least we've not lost anything.

So sad to see Delph go, expecially for so little but that's football, we stayed up and so far it seems Sherwood has managed the window well.

For me, I prefer the scenario where we bring in, say, 2 more players of similar quality to what we've got in so far and keeping hold of Benteke and Delph, to the scenario where they both leave but we have the funds for 6-8 players available because of it

• Like 1

For me, I prefer the scenario where we bring in, say, 2 more players of similar quality to what we've got in so far and keeping hold of Benteke and Delph, to the scenario where they both leave but we have the funds for 6-8 players available because of it

So would I. So would every Villa fan I expect. But if it's not to be, que sera. On to the next.

This is my concern too!

With Villa there always seems to be a but so I am hoping that we do our business and rebuild around our best players instead of selling them to fund replacements and starting all over again, like we seem to do year after year.

Really? The last 4 years we have barely spent regardless. We've not sold anyone worthy of replacing.

If we do move Benteke on and go on to spend say, £40-50m, I'll not complain too much.

I agree with you just as long as we bring in replacements of similar quality. Benteke basically kept us up in two of the last three seasons and we would be in the Championship now if it wasn't for Sherwood breathing new life into him. A replacement is not guaranteed to deliver us the goals that he has but, it could well go the other way and we end up with numerous players in with that money and go on to not miss him - which I hope would be the case.

I am just fed up of the fact that every time we find a decent player we end up having to sell him and then use that money to invest in the team. Just for a change, it would be nice to keep our best players and invest more to bring in better players around them, just to see where that can take us.

This is my concern too!

I agree with you just as long as we bring in replacements of similar quality. Benteke basically kept us up in two of the last three seasons and we would be in the Championship now if it wasn't for Sherwood breathing new life into him. A replacement is not guaranteed to deliver us the goals that he has but, it could well go the other way and we end up with numerous players in with that money and go on to not miss him - which I hope would be the case.

I am just fed up of the fact that every time we find a decent player we end up having to sell him and then use that money to invest in the team. Just for a change, it would be nice to keep our best players and invest more to bring in better players around them, just to see where that can take us.

This is something that Tottenham have been doing for a while and despite the shit they got for not spending the Bale money correctly, they at least held their position in the top 6.

I can't imagine we will find another Benteke any time soon, but maybe we don't really need to.

Truthfully, our one recent experience of selling a player for big money was Milner and then possibly Downing, we wasted the Milner money and had given up by the time Downing moved on. So bit much to go on really.

Way back we sold Platty for a world record fee. We went on to finish 2nd a couple of years later. Yes the game has changed, but churning players in such a way is the same in principle as it has always been, only the figures are higher.

Southampton say hello too.

• Like 2

This is my concern too!

It's frustrating but RVP, Nasri, Clichy, Modric, Suarez, Pogbaall moved from big clubs, we've done well to have kept Benteke as long as we have. Delph was honourable in signing a fair release clause for an extension.

At least serving players want to play for us, it's just been unfortunate they've played at the bottom of the table so there's no momentum to stay.

Better to have had and lost them, than be stuck with the likes of Gabby...pain but some potential gain.

I've said this before, Sherwood strikes me as someone who can sell the club & what he wants to do.

Still very interesting as to what was said to the guy, personally his first two signings have me hopeful of a much more physical side.

Edited by mightysasquatch

Yep, if this is a Delph replacement we aren't any stronger.

• Like 1

This is my concern too!

With Villa there always seems to be a but so I am hoping that we do our business and rebuild around our best players instead of selling them to fund replacements and starting all over again, like we seem to do year after year.

I think this is likely the case, the similarities are striking.

Both 5ft 8, both aren't natural defensive players, both have a nice touch and neat pass, and neither are natural goal scorers....if he turns out anywhere near as good as Delph at least we've not lost anything.

So sad to see Delph go, expecially for so little but that's football, we stayed up and so far it seems Sherwood has managed the window well.

Delph is gone.

Did not hear that - that went under the radar.

My God, chaps. Cheer up.

If the club does not buy, it's a disaster, if it does buy, it's a disaster.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Either way I'm happy with the business the club is doing ATM. If it does mean that Delph is out at least they are making a strong replacement signing. On the other hand if he stays then this is also a great platform to start building a team and season from. I'm just happy we are going after and attracting high level targets. Long may it continue.

We were almost relegated With Delph in the side. No loss

Let's bring some fresh meat. Do a Southampton rebuild. If we get this fella and that other prat fella plus a good young striker we will be better off

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

I've said this before, Sherwood strikes me as someone who can sell the club & what he wants to do.

Still very interesting as to what was said to the guy, personally his first two signings have me hopeful of a much more physical side.

I think Sherwood and Fox will really put over a completely different villa to what lambert and McLeish would have shown.

I'm happy that we have ended up with Gueye instead of Cleverley, he looks to be a lot more versatile and a lot better with the ball at his feet and is capable of beating players.  Cleverley had a decent spell for about a quarter of the season but other than that he was crap and extremely limited.    

• Like 4

Â