Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, BOF said:

I really don't think he struggled at all here.  He was our player of the season by some margin and even statistically in the Premier League that season he was way up there in tackles and interceptions - as one might expect playing in a side that need to tackle and intercept 400 times a game.  Most people could see there was a player in there and he was one of a few we knew we would lose when we went down.  That he couldn't win us matches on his own is no reflection on him as a defensive midfielder.

Yep, absolutely this.

I didn't really want to give a Player of the season last year, but if I did it would have been Gana by a mile.

He's clearly a good player. If you'd stuck Makalele in our team last season he wouldn't have made much difference. There's only so much a DM can do.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

just seen PSG want him for 20m+ ! nearly choked on my coffee! i really never rated him for us...dont suppose we get a sell on % do we?

I thought he was pretty good for us, in a terrible team. 

I doubt we have any sell-on percentage. I'm sure Xia cashed in absolutely everything he could last summer. 

havent seen anything of him but i know stat wise he's been really impressive, i think 2nd only to kante for his position, would be a decent signing for PSG, £20m is probably quite cheap seeing as its PSG buying a PL starter but they've also been linked to Allan and Paredes, they aren't signing all 3, would say the holding midfielder position is one they need to fill more, never replaced motta or matuidi

£7m release fee is what it is, ridiculous but at the time probably saved us around £10k a week in wages of another bonus of some sort (if we had signed him at all, without the clause he might have said no)

same with veretout there is definitely a good player in there he just wasnt the right player at the right time for us, never going to rise above the rot

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

havent seen anything of him but i know stat wise he's been really impressive, i think 2nd only to kante for his position, would be a decent signing for PSG, £20m is probably quite cheap seeing as its PSG buying a PL starter but they've also been linked to Allan and Paredes, they aren't signing all 3, would say the holding midfielder position is one they need to fill more, never replaced motta or matuidi

£7m release fee is what it is, ridiculous but at the time probably saved us around £10k a week in wages of another bonus of some sort (if we had signed him at all, without the clause he might have said no)

same with veretout there is definitely a good player in there he just wasnt the right player at the right time for us, never going to rise above the rot

fair enough then...i just dont see him grabbing many headlines that's all

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

fair enough then...i just dont see him grabbing many headlines that's all

He won't.

He plays in easily the most underappreciated position in football. Even after the Makeleles and Busquets of this world have raised it's importance, it's still a position that a hell of a lot of fans take no notice of. They see a midfielder who doesn't get many goals or assists and think they're crap. It's a position without many quantitative stats or KPIs to back it up so you're right, these players don't grab the headlines despite often being amongst the most important players on the pitch.

I think £20m is a good deal for PSG in this day and age

• Like 4

the mention of busquets is a good one, the number of times i've seen some lad or bible social media account say name a better midfield than xavi iniesta busquets and hundreds of replies of "busquets robs a living nowhere near as good as the other 2"

simply wrong, he is hugely important to barca and they are struggling to phase him out and eventually replace him, gets nowhere near the credit he deserves, makelele and now kante somehow do

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the mention of busquets is a good one, the number of times i've seen some lad or bible social media account say name a better midfield than xavi iniesta busquets and hundreds of replies of "busquets robs a living nowhere near as good as the other 2"

simply wrong, he is hugely important to barca and they are struggling to phase him out and eventually replace him, gets nowhere near the credit he deserves, makelele and now kante somehow do

Think that is partly down to him being a ginormous prick who cheats, dives, fakes injuries, pesters the ref, smirks and contest every single call made against his team.

Granted those things helps in making him such an important player for Barca, but it's hardly endearing to the general fan.

Makalele didn't do those things, and Kanté is probably the nicest person born in the last 100 years.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And Amavi.

If we hadn't lost the entire spine of our team then these players we got in from France would have probably complemented the squad quite well. However in the end they had to carry the entire burden themselves which was probably too big of an ask.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 3

Â