Micah Richards

Demitri_C

Even though he's Sky, I trust Colley.  He doesn't shoot his mouth off and tends to post as a fan rather than as a journo.

Really pleased with this signing.

We now have 3/4 center halves all competing for two spots. They will need to fight it out and build partnerships, this can only be good for the club.

Also, very interesting the amount of money being touted around. Positive signs are these thinks me.

Welcome to Micah, another (possible) signing that has the fans divided before he kicks a ball for us.

No sure what to make of this player myself, several years ago we wouldn't have stood a chance of signing him but now we can get him on a free most of us have our doubts, football is a funny game.

Welcome to Micah, another (possible) signing that has the fans divided before he kicks a ball for us.

I can't recall any signing on which everyone was united except perhaps Pires as I think everyone knew he would be shit.

Edit - I know Micah thought so ;)

• Like 1

I can't recall any signing on which everyone was united except perhaps Pires as I think everyone knew he would be shit.

Pires? This is the Micah Richards thread, Trent.

Let's keep in on topic eh? ;)

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
  • Like 1

Very happy with this, a very good experienced signing with a lot to prove especially if he wants to get back into the England set up, plus he's only in his mid to late twenties which hopefully means we will get a good few years of service out of him.

This would be a superb signing, and the first step towards reforming a proper defence.  After watching absolute rubbish like Lowton, Luna, Bennett and Cissokho, it will be nice to have a proper full back again.

Exactly this.

I have no idea who fans want if they think Micah Richards isn't a good enough player for us.

The question is not if he's a good enough player for us he's a decent RB the question is can he stay fit long enough to justify paying him 65k a week

£65k/wk is pretty steep, agreed.

But would I rather have Micah Richards on a "free" and earning £65k/wk or Kieran Trippier for £3.5m and earning £40k/wk (hypotheticalz)?  I'd go for the former.  I think he's worth the gamble.

I just don't see him wanting to be a cb. He went to Italy to play games as a rb, can't see him changing that now.

I'm not sure he did. They didn't play him at centre-back because the manager intimated that he lacked the tactical qualities for it, apparently. Also, hasn't Richards said himself that he views centre-back as his preferred position? The reports suggest he is coming as Vlaar's replacement.

Edited by Isa

I just don't see him wanting to be a cb. He went to Italy to play games as a rb, can't see him changing that now.

I'm not sure he did. They didn't play him at centre-back because the manager intimated that he lacked the tactical qualities for it, apparently. Also, hasn't Richards said himself that he views centre-back as his preferred position? The reports suggest he is coming as Vlaar's replacement.

yeah exactly. Even if we switch to this preferred back 3 line up.. we will still need another CB and left and right back....

If there's a switch to a 3-5-2 (or 5-3-2) system as hinted, Richards sort of makes sense.  Him and Okore are certainly judged as "athletes" and would be able to cover the areas left by, say, Bacuna in his right-wingback position.  Also gives us the option as a solid right back if we played a more traditional formation.

Either way, yes please.

Heard an interview from 2 weeks ago on talksport yesterday. He said he was made promises about playing and that changed when the manager switched formation. I'm pretty sure before the switch he was playing rb for them.

Heard an interview from 2 weeks ago on talksport yesterday. He said he was made promises about playing and that changed when the manager switched formation. I'm pretty sure before the switch he was playing rb for them.

I remember that. I think you're right. They went from a flat back 4 to a 3 with wing backs and he wasn't deemed to have the skill sets to be a wing back IIRC.

Here is an article about it. Concerning comments from Montella.. especially if the plan is to switch to a back 3.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fiorentina-boss-montella-micah-richards-just-not-it-4057543

Edited by KSV

yeah exactly. Even if we switch to this preferred back 3 line up.. we will still need another CB and left and right back....

Another centre-back definitely. I don't view right-back as such a priority position with Bacuna and Hutton but Sherwood seems to going by the Trippier interest - Hutton not strong enough offensively for his liking you'd imagine.

If there's a switch to a 3-5-2 (or 5-3-2) system as hinted, Richards sort of makes sense. Him and Okore are certainly judged as "athletes" and would be able to cover the areas left by, say, Bacuna in his right-wingback position. Also gives us the option as a solid right back if we played a more traditional formation.

Either way, yes please.

Yeah, thinking about it, I could see that working. The 'wider' centre-backs play like a hybrid between centre-back and full-back which should suit Richards in theory. If played correctly, the back-three system can work. One would think Sherwood will play it a lot more dynamically than Lambert's 5-3------2.

Edited by Isa

Has not played regulary since 2011/12 season (close to half a decade), there must be a reason for that. Did not get into the Fiorentina team, I think Richards is one of those many players that look brilliant as youngsters but never reach their potential, most likely because of his mentality. Not very exiting player and I only see him as a player we will be looking to offload next window, just like Given and N'Zogbia. 

Â