The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

BBC are reporting that up to half of the shadow cabinet are set to resign to try and force Corbyn out.

Here

Feels like not only are there huge rifts in the Labour party but also huge rifts within their support. Scary that we have our two main political parties in chaos and UKIP just waiting in the wings.

So the Tories are hacking each other to bits in a post Brexit political death match & Labour decide to go one better? Astonishing. 

God knows what the PLP will look like by tonight, but having carefully alienated its working class supporters over several decades, the PLP now seems set on doing the same with their actual members.

There's out of touch & then there's beyond the sun. I'd say they are much closer to the latter right now! 

• Like 2

Political landscape is atrocious right now, particularly from a leftish view. Can only hope the carnage leads to some positive reassessment but I am distinctly pessimistic. Corbyn will go and some anodyne blu labour chap will get the nod and it will be another scare-case of 'look, this candidate must be preferable to May or Boris. Which whilst true is back to the utterly underwhelming type of politics that people abandoned last year. I think a turnout for a snap GE this year will take a massive dive again in that scenario.

I think we're all completely **** and there is next to no outlet for hope or prosperity 8n this country. Unemployment will rise, EU funded jobs (millions) will collapse, the continuation of unchecked neoliberalism will drastically increase the inequality in society and poverty will rise. Maybe I'll be wrong. It would be nice if I was but it's hard to avoid the sense of impending futility and impotence in a world completely ruled by dickheads. Working at a University the mood is pretty dark atm. 

Had a look on Canadas immigration policy too. Seems an unlikely option with my current job for now too.Sigh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, djdabush said:

BBC are reporting that up to half of the shadow cabinet are set to resign to try and force Corbyn out.

Here

Feels like not only are there huge rifts in the Labour party but also huge rifts within their support. Scary that we have our two main political parties in chaos and UKIP just waiting in the wings.

I still don't think he would, he's a stubborn SOB, who blindingly believes he's right no matter how the political landscape shifts around him. And I honestly don't believe he cares what the electorates opinion is. He won't be changing. 

23 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Political landscape is atrocious right now, particularly from a leftish view. Can only hope the carnage leads to some positive reassessment but I am distinctly pessimistic. Corbyn will go and some anodyne blu labour chap will get the nod and it will be another scare-case of 'look, this candidate must be preferable to May or Boris. Which whilst true is back to the utterly underwhelming type of politics that people abandoned last year. I think a turnout for a snap GE this year will take a massive dive again in that scenario.

I think we're all completely **** and there is next to no outlet for hope or prosperity 8n this country. Unemployment will rise, EU funded jobs (millions) will collapse, the continuation of unchecked neoliberalism will drastically increase the inequality in society and poverty will rise. Maybe I'll be wrong. It would be nice if I was but it's hard to avoid the sense of impending futility and impotence in a world completely ruled by dickheads. Working at a University the mood is pretty dark atm. 

Had a look on Canadas immigration policy too. Seems an unlikely option with my current job for now too.Sigh.

I agree. Lib Dems collapsed last year. Tories are going to get some idiot in. Labour will put in another Blairite, SNP will try and get Scotland out again. 

All with UKIP waiting in the wings. They had already managed to get the disillusioned Tory vote before, now the referendum has shown that they are very, very close (if not already) to getting the disillusioned Labour vote. 

Politicians need to wake up now or next year we will either have UKIP in a coalition or even worse, a UKIP majority. They were not far enough a number seats last election, it will not take many more votes for them to get the seats in parliament and we should be very, very worried.

After it was stated for a couple of days that the shadow cabinet members were preparing to stand down en masse, Corbyn has still sacked Benn for speaking up. Corbyn's not going down without a fight, this could be interesting.

If Corbyn is on the ballot for a new leadership contest, the divide between the LAbour Party and the PLP really could rip the opposition apart

I'm not sure many people are going to feel too upset by a bunch of Blairites throwing their toys out of the pram. Labour can put whoever they like in the chair, they're not electable. They've lost Scotland for a generation, if not soon forever, and they've lost any solidarity with its traditional base. They're ****.

That the Tories are also a **** mess just puts the whole thing in starker stakes.

What remains stupid about the anger at Corbyn is the bizarre belief that had he not been leader, but Liz Kendall or Yvette Cooper or Andy Burnham had been, that they would have been able to galvanise non-Labour voters in Labour constituencies to vote the way they suggested. 

I don't see a single shred of evidence for the proposition. It doesn't even pass the laugh test. 

• Like 1

Another one's gone. Do you actually need to be an MP to be in the shadow cabinet, if not I might give it a go, Corbyn's got to be running out of people to appoint.

Lilian Greenwood has resigned as Shadow Transport Secretary.

• Like 1

Burnham appears to not be entirely thick. He can still benefit from this without losing face, so letting all the no marks take a tumble is perfect for him. If Corbyn goes, he's well positioned to shuffle across, if he doesn't he's not a treacherous snake on the face of things and maintains an image of practicality and acting for the greater good.

Cl4D4ldWIAEUvux.jpg

3 days after the referendum, the promises have been dismissed as a misunderstanding by the electorate and we're supposed to be concentrating on labour MP's careers and Nichola Sturgen?

where is the government? 

Kuenssberg putting the boot in, too:

Corbyn office 'sabotaged' EU Remain campaign - sources

The prime minister's resigned. No-one knows who the next occupant of Number 10 will be.

And today, some of the most senior figures in the Labour Party are trying to push their leader out too. There have been concerns about Jeremy Corbyn's performance for months and months. But it was his role, or lack of role, in the campaign to keep the UK in the EU, and his sacking of Hilary Benn in the middle of the night, that has given members of the shadow cabinet the final reasons to quit. Several have already gone, as many as half will be gone by the end of the day, I understand.

And documents passed to the BBC suggest Jeremy Corbyn's office sought to delay and water down the Labour Remain campaign. Sources suggest that they are evidence of "deliberate sabotage".

One email from the leader's office suggests that Mr Corbyn's director of strategy and communications, Seumas Milne, was behind Mr Corbyn's reluctance to take a prominent role in Labour's campaign to keep the UK in the EU. One email, discussing one of the leader's speeches, said it was because of the "hand of Seumas. If he can't kill it, he will water it down so much to hope nobody notices it".

A series of messages dating back to December seen by the BBC shows correspondence between the party leader's office, the Labour Remain campaign and Labour HQ, discussing the European campaign. It shows how a sentence talking about immigration was removed on one occasion and how Mr Milne refused to sign off a letter signed by 200 MPs after it had already been approved.

The documents show concern in Labour HQ and the Labour Remain campaign about Mr Corbyn's commitment to the campaign - one email says "what is going on here?". Another email from Labour Remain sources to the leader's office complains "there is no EU content here - we agreed to have Europe content in it". Sources say they show the leader's office was reluctant to give full support to the EU campaign and how difficult it was to get Mr Corbyn to take a prominent role.

Mr Corbyn has insisted publicly that he campaigned hard to keep the country in the EU and that he made a number of speeches around the country, and attended many campaigning events. But many shadow cabinet ministers believe his performance in the campaign has shown that he is simply not capable of leading the party. One senior figure told me: "People have just had enough and are embarrassed to be part of it." Jeremy Corbyn's team are adamant that he will stand again for the leadership, and they believe the party's members would back him again.

He has had persuasive and vehement backing from the party's members who he energised last summer. But as the Labour party reels from Thursday's result, it is not clear that support will be as solid as it was. MPs report that some of their members are contacting them to say they've changed their minds about Mr Corbyn. We'll see. It's possible that within days, both of our two main political parties will be looking for a new leader.

Edited by snowychap

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Another one's gone.

Lilian Greenwood has resigned as Shadow Transport Secretary .

I consider myself to be a bit of a politics geek (albeit a lapsing one) but I have to ask: Who the bloody hell was Lilian Greenwood? :)

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I personally think that the evidence suggested there, unless it's badly described, doesn't really fit the conclusions. I mean, I assume Seumas Milne, as director of communications, removes sentences from documents on all sorts of subjects, every single day. It seems pretty much like his job. 

Anyway, the way I expect this to all fall apart is the obvious way. Vote of no confidence is lost by Corbyn, there's a leadership election, he wins again by a narrower mandate amongst the party electorate, the MP's decide they can't accept the result, the Labour Party splits into two, with rump Labour being Corbyn and allies, and a different, larger party, closer to the centre, probably under a Blairite but maybe not. Then there's a period of bargaining between the two parties and trade unions, as unions are asked to affiliate with one or other of them. 

But it was his role, or lack of role, in the campaign to keep the UK in the EU

I've 'liked' the labour party and Jeremy Corbyn on Facebook. During the referendum campaign he was on there literally every day either doing a video or a post about remain. I'm not sure what else he could have done.

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I consider myself to be a bit of a politics geek (albeit a lapsing one) but I have to ask: Who the bloody hell was Lilian Greenwood? :)

I think Corbyn was scraping the barrel trying to find a shadow cabinet in the first place, so good luck to him now.  I don't see how he can survive after two-thirds of the Labour councils effectively voted to leave.  Has anybody actually asked him which way he voted himself?

Â