The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

To be fair though to one of the labour politicians he said something along the lines of its rich coming from your country thats bombing schools in palestine. He is speaking the truth isnt he? 

Edited by Demitri_C

General feeling appears to be that the local elections are going to give Labour a kicking. But they seem to be a shoe in fit the London mayoral election to the extent even some Tories are attacking the Goldsmith campaign.

I like Corbyn, but it's only a matter of time before they knife him. His Labour party isn't electable. The only thing he can call success I think is if he can even vaguely have a influence on dragging the party long term back towards its roots. But even that looks less likely by the day. They'll be desperate for a new Blair to arrive out of nowhere, they can't have anyone tainted by pre-2010 New Labour and they can't have a Corbyn follower either.

They may try and 'knife' him but I'm not sure how they're going to get rid of him in the near future unless they find him in bed being buggered by Duncan Smith.

I don't particularly like Corbyn or his (rather wet and flimsy) politics but the campaign against him (exemplified by Oakeshott on QT tonight) is pretty shoddy (though no surprise taking in to account Corbyn's media, and other, history over the last few years).

Donnie's having fits...

Not so much of a kicking in England, but behind the Tories in Scotchland.  It's down to London really, they should be pretty comfortable there so I don't think it's that bad for Corbyn.  I don't think the Tories will mind that either as they don't want a change of leadership before 2020.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't think the Tories will mind that either as they don't want a change of leadership before June 24th.

fixed

Coming third behind the Tory's was a bit of a surprise  , don't know if that means Scotland is going back to it's Tory roots  or just that Labour haven't been forgiven ..hopefully the SNP failing to win a majority means Sturgeon  wont be quite so smug for a few days

Labours overall vote share appears to be down 6% from the 2012 Council elections .. but up 4% in some of the key marginals from the last General election

I suspect both parties will be happy at the end of the day  ....

London Mayor result  is probably the only one that will get the headlines , be interesting to see just how much Khan has won it by  ...

44 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

London Mayor result  is probably the only one that will get the headlines , be interesting to see just how much Khan has won it by  ...

I think khans won it comfortably. I think Londons going to fall part under him to be honest, he just seems like he makes promises he will never be able to keep. Boris Johnson might seem like a bafoon but he was a good Mayor for this city. 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think khans won it comfortably. I think Londons going to fall part under him to be honest, he just seems like he makes promises he will never be able to keep. Boris Johnson might seem like a bafoon but he was a good Mayor for this city. 

you can see the live count here

Khan has a healthy lead

The graph below provides a representation of the first choice votes counted so far across London for each Mayoral candidate. Once 90% of the votes have been counted, this graph will no longer be updated.

.hopefully the SNP failing to win a majority means Sturgeon  wont be quite so smug for a few days

Don't be silly. That detestable woman does not know how to not be smug.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Boris Johnson might seem like a bafoon but he was a good Mayor for this city. 

I really don't see what Boris has done for London during his time as Mayor. I'm no fan of Ken but the plans for "Boris Bikes" were well underway before Ken left, the Olympics the same. Under Boris I've seen infrastructure degrade significantly, roads are worse, policing resources cut, more tube strikes than ever before. Not playing party politics but I'd struggle to come up with any positive thing that Boris has done.

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

He was good at headline grabbing and blowing his own trumpet.

which was all Livingston ever did  ... suggesting we don't actually need a Mayor of London  other then for bosting the ego of  some quirky individuals

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

which was all Livingston ever did  ... 

Not a huge fan of his, but introduced the congestion charge, the oyster card, set up the London Climate Change Agency, and initiated the first register of the same sex civil partnerships in the UK. 

In terms of fairness, I checked Boris Johnson's tenure; appointed the first cycling commissioner for London, announced investment in infrastructure for cycling, and closed 'The Londoner' newspaper. Oh and under Boris' reign the wage for mayor went from £87,000 a year to a £143,000. (though that may or may not have had anything to do with him, I couldn't be bothered to check)

Â