The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think khans won it comfortably. I think Londons going to fall part under him to be honest, he just seems like he makes promises he will never be able to keep. Boris Johnson might seem like a bafoon but he was a good Mayor for this city. 

I could not disagree more with every word of this. 

6 hours ago, jon_c said:

If Labour can't beat the Tories in Scotland, they'll never win a general election with Corbyn.

This is correct, except for the words 'with Corbyn'. Whatever you think of Corbyn, he has very little to do with Labour's struggles in Scotland. They were wiped out there in the general election with 'soft left' Miliband as national leader and ultra-Blairite Jim Murphy as Scottish leader. Between Blairite Murphy, middling Miliband and actually-left Corbyn every wing of the Labour party has failed in Scotland in the last twelve months. However, the 'they'll never win a general election' part is true (with a value for 'never' that equals 'in 2020'). 

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Isn't it just due to former labour voters voting SNP rather than an increase in Tory votes?

No, the Tory vote has increased. What's happened is that left-wing Labour voters more concerned with opposing Tory cuts have poured into the SNP, while voters more concerned with keeping the union have increasingly moved towards the Tories. Labour are trapped in the middle, and in all honesty, it's more or less time for a counsel of despair. They can't win a General Election without Scotland, and they can't win Scotland. Looks bleak to be honest. 

• Like 1

The brand new Mayor of London Sadiq Khan was sworn in yesterday, and he has some very sensible ideas about how to stop the slow decline of London’s nightlife. Speaking with Dazed about how to save the city’s club scene, Khan said he plans to appoint a Night Mayor, as pioneered in Amsterdam, to represent nightlife culture and business at London’s council meetings.

He’ll also put the cost of soundproofing onto new housing developers, to keep small independent bars and clubs from going under when new apartment are built nearby, and he plans to make it more difficult for developers to shut down and build over heritage venues and important cultural sites.

Inthemix

• Like 1

Politics is a funny old game isn't it.

In the local hot air factory down the road from here the National Assembly was supposed to vote in it's El Presidente yesterday. Labour as by far the biggest party presumed their man was a shoe in. Plaid said slow down let's talk about it, you only have 29 of the 60 seats we could 'co-operate'.

Nope, Labour happy to govern alone as a minority. Let's all vote for Carwyn. But at the vote 29 Labour and the 1 Liberal voted Carwyn. Plaid, Tories and UKIP all voted for Leanne Wood. A draw, 30:30.

Welsh Labour have totally lost it over the following 24 hours accusing Plaid of dirty deals with UKIP. They've tweeted and briefed and shouted about how horrible UKIP are and how you should never ever deal with the sort of low life that UKIP has in it's ranks. They've gone on local tv and said they hope people that voted Plaid take a long hard look at the sort of people their Plaid representatives are now in bed with. They've declared themselves genuinely shocked and upset.

This afternoon there has been a split in UKIP, and two of them are now siding with Labour. Labour have declared this change of heart by UKIP as a victory for grown up mature politics, hoping it now draws a line under the matter.

Politicians, eh.

• Like 4

a sort of common sense has now prevailed, Labour and Plaid are due to have fresh talks tomorrow.....

@snowychap I'm genuinely baffled by that whole UKIP vote thing, apparently disgraced cash for questions hamilton received 3,400 votes, but was on a bucket list under the PR part of the system and got in via that. I'd really love to know what qualities people saw in him and liked. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Corbyn letting Khan know who is boss today by sharing a platform with him and telling the audience he would impose a tax on the city of London if he is elected as PM ..... The very same tax Khan campaigned as Mayor of London as being against 

luckily for Khan he probably stands a better chance of being PM than Corbyn 

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Corbyn letting Khan know who is boss today by sharing a platform with him and telling the audience he would impose a tax on the city of London if he is elected as PM ..... The very same tax Khan campaigned as Mayor of London as being against 

luckily for Khan he probably stands a better chance of being PM than Corbyn 

Khan already lied about train fares as expected. Despite goldsmith being unpopular in the london mayor race, at least he was honest and said there is no choice in increasing train fares a sit would be mean improvement projects would have to be scrapped.

i think khan actually has a very good chance of being a future labour leader, i have no idea why as I find him very untrustworthy

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Khan already lied about train fares as expected. Despite goldsmith being unpopular in the london mayor race, at least he was honest and said there is no choice in increasing train fares a sit would be mean improvement projects would have to be scrapped.

i think khan actually has a very good chance of being a future labour leader, i have no idea why as I find him very untrustworthy

Did we ever find out what his fave Bollywood film was?

Politicians lie. The game, is to try and anticipate what's a flat lie from the get go that was never going to happen, and what's genuinely hoodwinked you. Sorting the Khan's from the Cleggs.

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Did we ever find out what his fave Bollywood film was?

Politicians lie. The game, is to try and anticipate what's a flat lie from the get go that was never going to happen, and what's genuinely hoodwinked you. Sorting the Khan's from the Cleggs.

but but only Tories lie , I read it on the internet

I think campaigning on a promise of not putting fares up , probably a key issue for a most Londoner's , and then putting them up saying I don't control TFL fares I only promised government fares that 99% of you don't use , is as misleading and as flat a lie as you will ever see in an election campaign ... well ok  , maybe with the exception of the £350m bus

• Like 1

I'll be honest (!), the London Mayoral race kinda passed me by.

None of them offered to reduce the prices in the Five Guys franchise at Westfield and there was little else I was interested in.

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

but but only Tories lie , I read it on the internet

I think campaigning on a promise of not putting fares up , probably a key issue for a most Londoner's , and then putting them up saying I don't control TFL fares I only promised government fares that 99% of you don't use , is as misleading and as flat a lie as you will ever see in an election campaign ... well ok  , maybe with the exception of the £350m bus

Spot on Tone, thanks for saving me having to write it!

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

None of them offered to reduce the prices in the Five Guys franchise at Westfield and there was little else I was interested in.

you missed the TV interview where Goldsmith claimed it was his favourite restaurant then struggled to name any of the guys ... that lost him  my vote

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

There are far better burger places than five guys in London!

Try this one! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There are far better burger places than five guys in London!

Try this one! 

I might give that a try actually. The office is only a short walk away, just off Old Street. 

• Like 1

Â