The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Can you image if he gets re-elected. That would be absolutely humiliating for the labour party

It doesn't seem that unlikely, and the more than the Blairites speak out against him, the more likely I think it is. Where does it even go from there, there has to be a party split, surely?

In theory, the referendum could have ripped the Torries to peices, exposing the deep divisions over EU membership, bringing Labour back into contention for the next GE.

The fact that Labour are more of a laughing stock than they were a couple of weeks ago is quite concerning. Not only for labour supporter's, but british politics in general. At the next GE, the question won't be 'who's the best', rather 'who's less shit'.

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone think we could see a new party formed?

The monster raving loonie party seem like less of a joke every day. 

howling-laud-hope-standing-in-the-electi

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

In theory, the referendum could have ripped the Torries to peices, exposing the deep divisions over EU membership, bringing Labour back into contention for the next GE.

I think that was the logic behind Corbyn (and labour in the main) keeping very quiet  ... I'd say it didn't quite go to plan  !!

1 hour ago, av1 said:

At the next GE, the question won't be 'who's the best', rather 'who's less shit'.

Hasn't that always been the question? I can't actually remember the last time I liked a British politician! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

At the next GE, the question won't be 'who's the best', rather 'who's less shit'.

Same as the last one, then. And the one before that and ....

The system needs to change to be representative of people's views, not a choice between who gives you a shoeing.

Corby's situation is such an odd one - he's got massive support from Party Members and a good chunk of opposition from Parliamentary MP's. The only chance they have of getting him out is bullying him out or preventing him from being part of a leadership race - if he's a nominee in a leadership vote, he'll win it.

But, if he stays as leader, he'll never be able to achieve the things he wants because there will be a significant chunk of his party voting against him - there's a lot of purple Labour on the back benches and they aren't going to change. 

So does he try to persuade, try to compromise, try to replace them as they retire or leave...all of those will be difficult - especially since the only real compromise he's made so far to the party is backing Remain, and they've already shown their appreciation on that one.

I'm with Dennis Skinner on the current situation.

That said, I'm much more a backer of Corbyn than Labour - if Labour appoint a Blairite and we go back to choosing between two flavours of the same crap in every election then I'd need to be switching back to the Greens and obscurity, so I can't claim to be much of neutral.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The Keep Corbyn rally was organised at 24 hours notice.

Cl-37VaXEAA4-TL.jpg

When the football's on and/or Game of Thrones. And he's meant to speak for the working classes of Britain?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The Keep Corbyn rally was organised at 24 hours notice.

Cl-37VaXEAA4-TL.jpg

Just saw this on the news and some clearing in the woods is waving a laptop around above his head presumably to record a video as those walkers with iPads do 

any police snipers in attendance should have been given the green light to fire 

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone think we could see a new party formed?

I mentioned this in reply to Blandy a few weeks ago in this thread, i.e. a Brexit vote could shake up Parliament to such an extent that old parties split up and new ones would form. 

It took the SDP six years to split from Labour after the '75 euro referendum, this time it might go down in six weeks!  

I'd also expect blood on the floor in the Tory Party, but greater discipline might mean it coming later rather than sooner. 

While we're on predictions... I'd guess that a combination of the Tories welching on promises to control immigration, added to a full Labour meltdown (underway), could see great swathes of the Labour vote falling into the lap of Farage and a much more hardline UKIP. That could get ugly. 

• Like 1

I think we might be ripe for a new party - there are large areas of Europe where none traditional parties have sprung up and taken big chunks of the vote. Podemos in Spain for example - have just finished third in their election and are having strange effects on the Spanish elections - with no party now big enough to take all of the vote. Coalitions are the immediate future I think.

First past the post is a huge barrier to the forming of a new party. This is by design courtesy of your democratic loving labor and tory friends.  For example, I wonder if the 4 million votes UKIP got in the last election had earned proportional representation, could this whole EU referendum mess have been avoided or at least mollified somewhat.

Â