The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

• 1 month later...

It's a shame for everyone really that they're such an effing shambles. The main opposition at the moment is other tories (who are barely more keen on their leader than a bunch of Labour are on theirs).

Labour in more normal times would be making absolute hay with the state of the Gov't. Doctors, IDS, EU, Benefits & PIP etc. It's not good when you have an incompetent Gov't and an incompetent opposition.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I find it bizarre how Corbyn still has lots of support among Labour grassroots. Even if you agree with his ideology he is simply not cut out for this.

The thing is, if you do believe in the ideology (i.e. traditional Labour values) then he's all there is - and as ridiculous as it sounds, he's ahead in the polls at the moment because people seem to be voting on values rather than appearances. Obviously that can't last. and what the Labour party really needs is a smart, good looking tall young fella with a certain amount of gravitas that acts as a ventriloquists dummy to Corbyn's ideas. 

• Like 2

Oh God not the old media chestnut. IMO Corbyn is doing dreadfully in PMQs and that's not because I disagree with him on basically everything either. If you look at the state the government's in he's been unable to really capitalise on it. He didn't even mention IDS' resignation during the PM's statement on Tuesday FFS. He doesn't have the ability to think on his feet and react to events - that's a crucial skill for any opposition leader.

Many Labour MPs are unhappy with Corbyn's performances and it's not becuase they're all hard-right Blairites but because Corbyn simply isn't good enough.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The thing is, if you do believe in the ideology (i.e. traditional Labour values) then he's all there is - and as ridiculous as it sounds, he's ahead in the polls at the moment because people seem to be voting on values rather than appearances. Obviously that can't last. and what the Labour party really needs is a smart, good looking tall young fella with a certain amount of gravitas that acts as a ventriloquists dummy to Corbyn's ideas. 

I see what you're saying but he's arguably doing the cause more harm than good - he's no Tony Benn that's for sure.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Oh God not the old media chestnut. IMO Corbyn is doing dreadfully in PMQs and that's not because I disagree with him on basically everything either. If you look at the state the government's in he's been unable to really capitalise on it. He didn't even mention IDS' resignation during the PM's statement on Tuesday FFS. He doesn't have the ability to think on his feet and react to events - that's a crucial skill for any opposition leader.

Many Labour MPs are unhappy with Corbyn's performances and it's not becuase they're all hard-right Blairites but because Corbyn simply isn't good enough.

I see what you're saying but he's arguably doing the cause more harm than good - he's no Tony Benn that's for sure.

I'm confused. Are you saying that right wing conservative supporter Rupert Murdoch's newspapers and the famously right wing 'Torygraph' aren't actually right wing biased publications?

Are you sure you've actually watched or read the PMQs? Here it is from one side:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2016/mar/16/cameron-v-corbyn-pmqs-verdict-labour-leaders-best-round-yet

Cameron did not seem to be expecting this line of attack, and Corbyn had him under pressure relentlessly in all six questions.

But if you just believe the right wing press:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/pmqs/12201926/Boris-Johnson-faces-first-major-Prime-Minister-test--as-he-is-challenged-over-claims-London-will-be-better-off-outside-EU-live.html

John Woodcock accidentally tweeted out a private message on Twitter, which he has since deleted, saying: "F****** disaster. Worse week for Corbyn since he came in and that stupid f****** list makes us into a laughing stock."

So the whole premise of the Torygraph article is that a Labour MP tweeted a private message and deleted it, which he says the document leaking is a disaster. Yet they've somehow managed to twist it into being about Corbyn's performance at PMQs. In fact, it's not criticising Corbyn at all, it's saying it's his 'worse' week, which of course it would be.

• Like 1

His failure to launch a stinging diatribe based upon IDS's accusation that the Tories were gratuitously nasty and divisive, seemed to indicate that he is a slow-witted committee man entangled in convoluted policy considerations, rather than someone who can give an opponent a rhetorical bloody nose when he gets an opportunity.   

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'm confused. Are you saying that right wing conservative supporter Rupert Murdoch's newspapers and the famously right wing 'Torygraph' aren't actually right wing biased publications?

Are you sure you've actually watched or read the PMQs? Here it is from one side:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2016/mar/16/cameron-v-corbyn-pmqs-verdict-labour-leaders-best-round-yet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/pmqs/12201926/Boris-Johnson-faces-first-major-Prime-Minister-test--as-he-is-challenged-over-claims-London-will-be-better-off-outside-EU-live.html

So the whole premise of the Torygraph article is that a Labour MP tweeted a private message and deleted it, which he says the document leaking is a disaster. Yet they've somehow managed to twist it into being about Corbyn's performance at PMQs. In fact, it's not criticising Corbyn at all, it's saying it's his 'worse' week, which of course it would be.

No, what I'm saying is that the media as a whole isn't quite as unbalanced as people here like to make out. Yes the likes of the Telegraph, Times, Sun etc may be anti-Corbyn but likewise the Mirror, Guardian and the Independent (especially the latter these days) are pro-Corbyn.

I'm not basing my judgement of Corbyn on John Woodcock's Twitter I'm basing it on what I saw - he's just unable to capitlise on the government's failures.

Personally (and I don't vote for either party) I find it quite endearing that he doesn't get dragged into the attacks, bickering and (individual) popularity contests that I find the most repulsive and off putting part of politics. The fact that Cameron had to deflect from the issue at hand by slagging off Corbyn's clothes the other week says enough about how he's doing in PMQ's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Personally (and I don't vote for either party) I find it quite endearing that he doesn't get dragged into the attacks, bickering and (individual) popularity contests that I find the most repulsive and off putting part of politics. The fact that Cameron had to deflect from the issue at hand by slagging off Corbyn's clothes the other week says enough about how he's doing in PMQ's.

I would have preferred him to have told Cameron, that 'if clothes maketh the man, it is you who needs a new tailor'.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

The fact that Corbyn is wearing a new suit and tie in the Guardian linked  PMQ is probably all you need to know about whose been winning the PMQ war in terms of how its reported 

but I am a little confused by the point being made which seems to be don't believe what you read in the media unless it backs up my argument in which case take it as gospel ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

The fact that Corbyn is wearing a new suit and tie in the Guardian linked  PMQ is probably all you need to know about whose been winning the PMQ war in terms of how its reported 

but I am a little confused by the point being made which seems to be don't believe what you read in the media unless it backs up my argument in which case take it as gospel ?

I guess the point is that when you see PMQ's and you see Cameron being made an arse of on a weekly basis, you wonder why suits are the things that are being reported on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess the point is that when you see PMQ's and you see Cameron being made an arse of on a weekly basis, you wonder why suits are the things that are being reported on.

long as you are being impartial :)

from the ones I've watched I'd say in boxing match terms Cameron is ahead on points but Mainly for the reasons outline by the others in that Corbyn has allowed him to be ... And this I have an email from Sharon from Essex thing is like the kid at school who shouts something funny out, gets a laugh, so then does it every 10 mins until it becomes irritating 

I do think you're missing the point I was trying to make re the suit  though which is that regardless of "media bias" Corbyn for all the myth about how unique and refreshing he is , went down Moss bros and got kitted out , you may think Corbyn is winning PMQ but his advisors clearly don't think he is 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mantis said:

No, what I'm saying is that the media as a whole isn't quite as unbalanced as people here like to make out. Yes the likes of the Telegraph, Times, Sun etc may be anti-Corbyn but likewise the Mirror, Guardian and the Independent (especially the latter these days) are pro-Corbyn.

I'm not basing my judgement of Corbyn on John Woodcock's Twitter I'm basing it on what I saw - he's just unable to capitlise on the government's failures.

The mirror is a labour paper so that is a valid point

13 hours ago, Mantis said:

There seem to be very few reasonable newspapers these days.

The Mirror is as strident and moronic as The Sun.

The Star is trashier than either The Mirror or The Sun, but not by much.

The Guardian is just as unbearable as The Daily Mail.

The Express seems like a trashier version of The Daily Mail.

The Independent descends into click-bait trashiness but is generally better balanced and less irritating than The Guardian.

The Times is still a quality newspaper but the Murdoch taint can be mildly nauseating.

The Telegraph seems to be the more serious newspaper but its dullness explains why the rest have turned to trash to attract the mobile-device crowd.

The Metro (free), which has become increasingly awful, is probably the best indicator of taste and the state of literacy in the UK.

The accusation that readers take their political opinions straight and unmodified from the newspapers they read, is almost certainly untrue.

When people choose the trashy, the fake, and the meretricious, in the rest of their lives, their choice of newspaper should be no surprise, or their opinion of Corbyn. 

• Like 2

Â