The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Do you think forcing people to do something they're not interested in is really going to make them more interested?

Australia has compulsory voting (at least a £10 fine for not voting). You reliably get a voter turnout of +90%, though whether all those people then give a serious vote once in the booth is impossible so say. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Do you think forcing people to do something they're not interested in is really going to make them more interested?

I just find it odd,  look at all the stuff recently in the UK for example.  I would think more people would be at least a little more engaged with it as for many its the choice between heating or eating for example.

But they aren't. It's baffling.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

On a lighter note,  the above conversation takes place in every small heath house/caravan every weekend when all their offspring refuse to go to the sty again as they would rather play in the rubbish skip outside Aunty Jackie's round the corner.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

But isn't the present discussion about objecting to the present democratic system and people's ideas about how they would change it to the advantage of the party they like and to the exclusion of the parties they object to?

Nearly. Though I don't go with the last bit. If you can see a system is flawed - any system, I mean, but in this case voting - then comment or suggestion about how it could be done better or differently isn't necessarily about "advantage to the one I like" or disadvantage to the one I don't" - because, for example if someone likes Labour (this is the Labour thread) PR would most aid the LDs, the Greens, UKIPs (or whoever) - the smaller parties who number of votes per seat gained is much much higher than for the larger parties.

I notice that Russian citizens are considered morally complicit in the actions of their government because the country is a democracy, so voting does seem to be a declaration that a citizen is willing to share the moral burden, for whatever their government does.

Russia is a democracy? Well if you ask Russia, maybe they say it is, but it isn't. Free and fair elections? Free media? No fear or favour application of the law to all?

It's a sham democracy at best, more like a single party dictatorship. And the citizens are not universally considered "complicit", far from it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Nearly. Though I don't go with the last bit. If you can see a system is flawed - any system, I mean, but in this case voting - then comment or suggestion about how it could be done better or differently isn't necessarily about "advantage to the one I like" or disadvantage to the one I don't" - because, for example if someone likes Labour (this is the Labour thread) PR would most aid the LDs, the Greens, UKIPs (or whoever) - the smaller parties who number of votes per seat gained is much much higher than for the larger parties.

Russia is a democracy? Well if you ask Russia, maybe they say it is, but it isn't. Free and fair elections? Free media? No fear or favour application of the law to all?

It's a sham democracy at best, more like a single party dictatorship. And the citizens are not universally considered "complicit", far from it.

Russia claims it has been a democracy since 1993 and I agree that that is a dubious claim, and therefore we have to ask whether other countries treat it like a democracy, in the way it has imposed sanctions.

The Baltic states of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia have all stated that they will refuse to recognise Russians fleeing conscription as refugees.

It seems that Russian men of fighting age are collectively considered morally complicit.

Presumably British voters who elected a particular Government would also be considered morally complicit in the actions of that government.

After all, the one thing we know full well about politicians, is that they are lying scoundrels.

23 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I'm not a natural Labour voter, I vote on policy, but I just listened to Starmer, and I thought it was a brilliant speech. Absolutely smashed it. 

Never voted Labour in my life but pretty much everything strikes a chord with me. Tories have gone off the rails right wing nutjob, Lib Dems are pointless, I wasted a vote on them last time out purely because they proposed a new Brexit referendum.  I know where my vote goes next election. 

My 2 kids vote for the first time next election and I'm certain they'll both go Labour.  I'm not sure what Mrs Sidcow will do but it definitely won't be Tory. 

Labour are talking sense and fairness and good business sense, there is no realistic other way to go in all honesty. 

I'd vote for Count Binhead ahead of The Tories 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

I'd vote for a party with a front bunch of Barry Fry, Paul Tait, the Gardner brothers and Jasper Carrot over this lot

Woah, no need to go that far!  Surely we can all take a bit of third world living ahead of that lot :crylaugh:

26 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I bet Starmer is loving the idea of PR now

If those polls are anything close to being accurate come election time (they won't be), maybe the Tories should jump on the PR bandwagon. They'd probably keep more seats that way. 

• Haha 1

Labour have literally been given the keys to the country. Anything like the majority seemingly possible today means they can go as far as they want in reshaping the UK. Starmer will never go for PR, the power is too irresistible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2022 at 18:15, ml1dch said:

I imagine this will go down well in some quarters...

Bad few months for Sam Tarry, he's now become the first Labour MP to be deselected by his local party since 2010, and won't be standing in the next election.

24 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Bad few months for Sam Tarry, he's now become the first Labour MP to be deselected by his local party since 2010, and won't be standing in the next election.

Jas Anwath selected in his place. Local leader of Redbridge Council. The first Labour leader of Redbridge, which they've had since 2010. They took over from a Tory / LibDem coalition and subsequently have increased their votes and seat and in that time also wiped out the LibDem vote.

This is also the local party saying they'd have had him as a candidate in 2019 if it wasn't for the now proven false accusation of sexual misconduct, which miraculously surfaced on the eve of the previous selection meeting where Tarry was selected instead of Anwath.

Left wing Labour? Dirty tricks? No never.

Essentially this is the local party righting a wrong

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Jas Anwath selected in his place. Local leader of Redbridge Council. The first Labour leader of Redbridge, which they've had since 2010. They took over from a Tory / LibDem coalition and subsequently have increased their votes and seat and in that time also wiped out the LibDem vote.

This is also the local party saying they'd have had him as a candidate in 2019 if it wasn't for the now proven false accusation of sexual misconduct, which miraculously surfaced on the eve of the previous selection meeting where Tarry was selected instead of Anwath.

Left wing Labour? Dirty tricks? No never.

Essentially this is the local party righting a wrong

Indeed.  There was a Private Eye story from the time that made the whole thing sound very murky.

• Like 1

Â