The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

The UK has a parliamentary election system, where we vote for 'the party' and general arm-waving policies, and not some charismatic idiot. Well in principle at least.

How long have you been in the States?

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

No we don't. We have a FPTP parliamentary system where we vote for an individual candidate to represent us in parliement.

If you've been voting for a particular party you've been doing it wrong

That aged well 😂

19 minutes ago, tinker said:

That aged well 😂

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In principle you're right, in practice, it's completely irrelevant. 99% of people are "doing it wrong". If the average voter on a street isn't voting for a party, it's because they're voting for the president of the UK.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In principle you're right, in practice, it's completely irrelevant. 99% of people are "doing it wrong". If the average voter on a street isn't voting for a party, it's because they're voting for the president of the UK.

I'm not so sure that is the case, there are numerous examples of the candidate having a negative effect on their vote

But there are also examples of people continually being re-elected because they are good constituency MPs, Caroline Lucas for one (an awful lot of her voters are natural Tories), it is also the LibDems main modus operandi, they win seats as protest votes and keep them by being good constituency MPs

Yes, you are correct though, an awful lot of voters are doing it wrong, the vast majority of them.

And as you know, I am in favour of completely scrapping FPTP as it is decidely undemocratic.

• Like 1

EDIT: SCR are fairly consistent in their high Labour numbers, the middle ground in the polls says the Labour lead is around the 8-9% mark but further polling in the coming days could change everything. We'll have to wait until at least next weekend to get a post non-budget reaction amongst any of the pollsters

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say that I am surprised to wake up to a Monday with an argument that has Sir Kier Starmer on one side and John McDonnell and Bicks on the other.

But John and Bicks are right on this one - the party has to decide, it can't be done under threat from the leadership - and I'd like to see Labour moving some way towards electoral reform and the removal of first past the post.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Decent noises coming out of the conference so far but I'm not sure I'll ever recover from the cringe that was that national anthem rendition 🤮

They're actually finally starting to sound like a government in waiting

The al Jazeera documentary is just confirming what everyone not wilfully blind could see - the party actively undermined itself in the most despicable and undemocratic ways, because powerful elements of the party hated the leadership.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Never been privatised

Is that Post Office as distinct from Royal Mail, because pretty sure Royal Mail is privately owned. Iirc one of the biggest shareholders is also one of the largest importers of Russian Gas, although that may not be true, as the source I got that nugget came from is a bit suspect tbh. 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

They are separate entities. Royal Mail is privatised. The Post Office is nationalised

Ah. Figured that's what you meant. I actually didn't realise that. 

I actually don't see how we are in a position to nationalise anything at the moment given the state of the economy. Some accountant types can perhaps let me know if this is feasible, as my understanding of it is reasonably limited.

42 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I actually don't see how we are in a position to nationalise anything at the moment given the state of the economy. Some accountant types can perhaps let me know if this is feasible, as my understanding of it is reasonably limited.

You can nationalise the railways as each franchise comes up for renewal. Zero cost. 5 of the franchises are already government owned and most of the others with a few exceptions are up for renewal during the natural course of the next parliament

No company seems to be able to make the East Coast Mainline profitable, thing is, when its back in government hands, it makes money

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

You can nationalise the railways as each franchise comes up for renewal. Zero cost. 5 of the franchises are already government owned and most of the others with a few exceptions are up for renewal during the natural course of the next parliament

No company seems to be able to make the East Coast Mainline profitable, thing is, when its back in government hands, it makes money

Isn't that already the plan? Great British Railways is supposed to be taking over everything other than TFL and Merseyrail in 2023

https://gbrtt.co.uk/

Edited by Mozzavfc
Typo

Â