Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Very pleased with the business done so far but still have some glaring gaps - we absolutely need two more

Firstly we still look to be struggling at RB - Hutton and Bacuna are not the answer and Crespo is IMO cover at best - ideally Richards would fill this role but he seems to be on a promise to play at CB. £8m?

Secondly we have not got nearly enough up front - TS seems to want to go the Berbatov / Adebayor route but I would prefer a younger prospect. £12-15m

Additionally, someone with a little guile in midfield or a tricky wideman wouldnt go amiss but I think we have just enough here with Gil, Bacuna, Grealish plus Gabby, Ayew and Sinclair

I agree we need a couple more in but in my opinion Hutton is fine at right back. And it's far to early to judge crespo, you never know he could end up being our best signing, Football can be like that. Centre back is the real worry for Me, We really do need a 'proper ' centre back in there as I think Richards will get found out. Also to point out clark,okore and Richards injury record isn't the best

Hutton is average for me. Crespo is 28 and cost 500k so IMO not too early to judge - cover at best. I agree that Richards is not the answer and buy into the idea of bringing in a decent CB in the expectation that Richards will eventually move across. Shame Senderos is so injury prone

Centre-back is our big weak spot.

I believe centre back is Richards future but, right now he is vastly inexperienced in the position.

This obviously means he is going to make schoolboy errors until he actually learns the job properly.

An awful lot, like the clubs entire season, rests on Richards ability to learn quickly.

The only centre back at the club that can teach Richards is Senderos, the rest are too young and inexperienced, prone to mistakes themselves.

This is why I've been hoping to see a 3-man central defence, with Senderos in the middle of Richards and Clark/Baker, to talk them through games.

With such an inexperienced central defence, defensive or holding midfield is going to need to be right on the ball, so to speak.

In fact it might not be a bad idea to move Clark to D/HM with Baker at CB.

For an immediate improvement in the CB positions, I'd like to see Martin Caceres from Juventus brought in.

He is in the last year of his contract and Juve have just signed a couple of CB's, one 3/4 years younger than Caceres, who's only 28/9 himself, plus a 22/3 year old.

Caceres is adaptable too, he can play both fullback spots. So good cover. He has played over 60 internationals for Uruguay.

I'd also like to see Eder Balanta of River Plate at the club. He is predominately left-sided and a big unit, like Richards. I think, long-term, they'd make a really good partnership.

Throw Jeremiah Akaminko of Eskisehirspor into the mix and I think we'd have a central defence mixture to match any. 

I don't think Okore is going to make it as a top CB. He is too injury prone but, like Clark and Baker, it comes from diving into last ditch tackles instead of standing on his feet and shepherding attackers into blind alleys. Maybe, with his speed, he'd make a wingback.

Clark might convert into a useful holding midfielder, while Baker would make more of a defensive midfielder.

I keep saying it. Our business this window has been average at best.

We need another 3 1st team players otherwise we will struggle.

based on 45 minutes?

suppose you think Sunderland, Spurs, Everton are already down as well

Initial and no doubt hasty judgement of the team and what we need after the first game of the season:

GK: Fine, could do better but there are more pressing needs.

RB: Absolute must. Bacuna is a winger, Hutton is inconsistent.

CB: Happy with Clark, iffy about Richards, Okore should be starting when fit. Should be OK until January at least, then we can assess the situation and Richards' development better.

LB: Sweeeeeeet.

CM: I think we need an experienced head to lead and control the midfield.

AM: Happy to let Grealish develop and Gil to rotate.

RW: Need one, like, now. Could give Bacuna a run here for the time being.

LW: Not a fan of Sinclair cutting inside when he's out here. If we are intent on played Gestede or potentially Adebeyor, we need a proper left winger.

ST: Think we need someone with a bit of guile to add something different when games are tight. I like Gestede.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

Initial and no doubt hasty judgement of the team and what we need after the first game of the season:

GK: Fine, could do better but there are more pressing needs.

RB: Absolute must. Bacuna is a winger, Hutton is inconsistent.

CB: Happy with Clark, iffy about Richards, Okore should be starting when fit. Should be OK until January at least, then we can assess the situation and Richards' development better.

LB: Sweeeeeeet.

CM: I think we need an experienced head to lead and control the midfield.

AM: Happy to let Grealish develop and Gil to rotate.

RW: Need one, like, now. Could give Bacuna a run here for the time being.

LW: Not a fan of Sinclair cutting inside when he's out here. If we are intent on played Gestede or potentially Adebeyor, we need a proper left winger.

ST: Think we need someone with a bit of guile to add something different when games are tight. I like Gestede.

Two wingers? Can't agree. And I think we're absolutely fine at RB. 

For me we should look at CB and a quality CF in the first instance.

If we can add a winger and some cover in midfield it won't do any harm. 

Edited by PatrickCousens
  • Like 1

Haven't seen the game yet, was at work, but from how it sounded we could use a bit more natural width. We didn't really have anyone to come on and provide that and with Gestede clearly set to become a beast, it would be nice to have some.

Do we really need a CB with Okore set to return in a month and Baker/Crespo to back them up? One game yes, but they have shown they are capable. If we could sign somebody genuinely top class then yes, otherwise we should give them took January at least.

So RW and RB for me with RW being the priority. A striker would still be decent too.

I guess one question is where does Crespo fit in?  Perhaps Sherwood see him as a first choice Right Back?

Crespo will be used as rotation player. He can play anywhere in the back line and further into the season, we will need a player like that. 

Xherdan Shaqiri rumored to Watford for roughly 15m euro.

Now that would be a nice signing for us

Can play on either side and cross with both feet, great technique and good shot

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

From what i've been reading on here the past few weeks, i'm starting to come to the opinion that although Bacuna seems to be a good player who works hard, we haven't really got a purpose for him.

First choice right back seems to be Hutton at the moment, we've bought Crespo to be back up right back. and we have Gil, Grealish, Gabby, Ayew and even Green who can play right wing.

Who's Green?

Andre Green, a 17 year old winger who has come through the academy, he made the matchday squad on a few occasions last season, he's a good prospect

• Like 1

Xherdan Shaqiri rumored to Watford for roughly 15m euro.

Now that would be a nice signing for us

Can play on either side and cross with both feet, great technique and good shot

Didn't he turn down Stoke? Plus Everton are after him as well. Obviously he'd be welcomed here by me.