Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Well thats a shame amidst the sorts of players we see our rivals linked with e.g Stoke, Newcastle and even bloody West Brom.

Ayew, Veretout, Gana, Amavi.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. Im hapy with everything so far. I just cant help but notice the value for money we, and those other teams are achieving across Europe at the moment. Given the overall state of the squad at the moment, which I would say are on average about the same as last season (massively improved in midfield, wont replace Benteke) I had held out some hope of one or two 'gems' our scouting team have been proven to find abroad. The thought of another Westwood/Lowton doesn't get my juices flowing I suppose :P

Well thats a shame amidst the sorts of players we see our rivals linked with e.g Stoke, Newcastle and even bloody West Brom.

Ayew, Veretout, Gana, Amavi.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. Im hapy with everything so far. I just cant help but notice the value for money we, and those other teams are achieving across Europe at the moment. Given the overall state of the squad at the moment, which I would say are on average about the same as last season (massively improved in midfield, wont replace Benteke) I had held out some hope of one or two 'gems' our scouting team have been proven to find abroad. The thought of another Westwood/Lowton doesn't get my juices flowing I suppose :P

We've got gems in the names mentioned or do you want big names? I hadn't heard of any of these and I'm sure I'm in the majority on that.

think he prefers big money signings like Conor Wickham or James Chester :P

I think you're backing up my statement with that kind of point :P

Average British players are vastly overpriced and have high wage demands.  We also haven't really discovered a gem on homeland in a good while. Fabian Delph might even have been the last one.

I define gem as being either a) young and highly regarded but we buy them at a good price...or B) totally off the radar for a knockdown price. Anyway, I've ended up defending something I didn't think that strongly about in the fist place haha. I'll leave it in the capable hands of Sherwood/Fox and the scouting team who have done no wrong so far. 

Sounds to me like there is no money left and we'll just be focusing on loans.

If we're actually buying players then I'd say it suggests we still have a bit of money left considering English players normally cost more, especially in wages.

Edited by Mantis

Makes me think that if Sherwood were left to his own devices, he may not have signed the players we did and might have gone the 'Arry/MON route.

Yeah and me. Not like Ray Wilkins said his knowledge of youth players around Europe is good. Let's just go with the stereotype that fits our predetermined negativity about a man we didn't want.

• Like 2

I get the impression now that he's begrudgingly going to sign English players. He did say he was after value for money - don't forget that there was also lots of good value to be had on the continent when O'Neill was here but he just chose to ignore it - Sherwood hasn't.

Honestly, the stereotypes are old now.

Or more like if we didn't have a good scouting set-up in place, which probably brought a few players to his attention, he may have gone with the players he knows and trusts.

Whatever, it's totally immaterial now anyway.

The fact is Sherwood is our manager and there are lots of things to be positive about but there are a few criticisms there too. You aren't going to get loyal points on your Sherwood card by defending his honour at every turn and it makes your posts look unreasonable.

Or more like if we didn't have a good scouting set-up in place, which probably brought a few players to his attention, he may have gone with the players he knows and trusts.

Whatever, it's totally immaterial now anyway.

The fact is Sherwood is our manager and there are lots of things to be positive about but there are a few criticisms there too. You aren't going to get loyal points on your Sherwood card by defending his honour at every turn and it makes your posts look unreasonable.

He could've gone with the players he knows and trusts anyway.

Nobody's defending him at every turn and there are indeed valid criticisms but this is a pretty bizarre and unfounded one.

• Like 1

It wasn't unfounded - he said:

“Having English players (in the team) is crucial because we’re playing in a British league,” he said.

“That core of players is unbelievably important.

“I would say, if anyone was to become available now, they probably would be coming from the English market.

“No-one’s given an opportunity to English players more than me.

Then I used some words like 'might have' and 'may have', which indicate a lack of certainty.