Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

We've utterly failed to replace Benteke, and that really should have been a high priority. We really need to pull something out the bag on this otherwise we're going to struggle again. We need someone to come straight into the first team, perform and match his goals.

Read that back to yourself. Then remember we're Aston Villa and owned by Randy Lerner. Then the penny will drop that he was never going to be replaced.

Can't say the money wasn't there. What we spent on Gestede and Ayew for instance, could have been used to get a decent replacement for Benteke.

Yep. Tim has made some excellent moves in the market this summer.

However the 15m he spent on Ayew and Gestede looks like a big error. It's early days but I would

Bet neither player will have a huge influence on our fortunes this season whereas a goalscorer with that new look midfield behind

Him could have steered us away from relegation to mid table. His sole focus after Benteke left should have been leaving a significant chunk for a striker.

Yeah. Should have brought in Austin and Wilson on loan for that money

The fee asked for Austin is too much, and there's his medical history that seems to get thrown around quite a lot.

Edited by TreeVillan

Darren Lewis ‏@MirrorDarren 4m4 minutes ago

Villa understood to have offered £1.5m loan fee for Dwight Gayle. Crystal Palace will only sell him - for £10m. @MirrorFootball

I can hear Randy scraping the barrel. A Premier Lesgue team that, for all intents and purposes, seems to have run out of money to be competitive in the transfer market.

I might be overreacting here, I don't know what's going behind closed doors, but Sherwood clearly wants a striker. The Thunderball-style transfers, of promising youngsters with incredible ability, seem to have stopped.

We've utterly failed to replace Benteke, and that really should have been a high priority. We really need to pull something out the bag on this otherwise we're going to struggle again. We need someone to come straight into the first team, perform and match his goals.

Read that back to yourself. Then remember we're Aston Villa and owned by Randy Lerner. Then the penny will drop that he was never going to be replaced.

Can't say the money wasn't there. What we spent on Gestede and Ayew for instance, could have been used to get a decent replacement for Benteke.

Yep. Tim has made some excellent moves in the market this summer.

However the 15m he spent on Ayew and Gestede looks like a big error. It's early days but I would

Bet neither player will have a huge influence on our fortunes this season whereas a goalscorer with that new look midfield behind

Him could have steered us away from relegation to mid table. His sole focus after Benteke left should have been leaving a significant chunk for a striker.

Yeah. Should have brought in Austin and Wilson on loan for that money

oops

Cheeky bit of Deadline Day racism is it?

• Like 1

Villa understood to have offered £1.5m loan fee for Dwight Gayle. Crystal Palace will only sell him - for £10m. @MirrorFootball

I can hear Randy scraping the barrel. A Premier Lesgue team that, for all intents and purposes, seems to have run out of money to be competitive in the transfer market.

I might be overreacting here, I don't know what's going behind closed doors, but Sherwood clearly wants a striker. The Thunderball-style transfers, of promising youngsters with incredible ability, seem to have stopped.

Disgraceful for a premier league club. We can obviously attract decent players, but the chairman just doesn't want to play ball.

• Like 2

Disgraceful for a premier league club. We can obviously attract decent players, but the chairman just doesn't want to play ball.

Maybe.

But what if Sherwood has spent the budget he was given?

Obviously we'd like to see Lerner give him a bit more in this case. But if Sherwood and the transfer team knew how much money they had and has failed to incorporate a decent striker into that then should he/they take some of the blame?

Maybe.

But what if Sherwood has spent the budget he was given?

Obviously we'd like to see Lerner give him a bit more in this case. But if Sherwood and the transfer team knew how much money they had and has failed to incorporate a decent striker into that then should he/they take some of the blame?

That would mean he was given the budget of all sales plus 5m, even if Sherwood messed up, that still doesn't make it right that a premier league team won't spend money other than sales.

That might have forced his hand to go for cheaper alternatives as strikers, or miss out on other targets such as a keeper.

Edited by DK82

which would mean sherwood joined a relegation threatened club on the basis of recieving 12 mill to improve the squad and money from selling players?

Stop thinking about Net Spend. It's misleading.

I mean apart from the 16M worth of strikers they already incorporated yeah

They can't have much confidence in them if they're after another one...

I'm just speculating. I would much rather Lerner made money available if that's what's holding us back.

It's also possible that Sherwood WANTS a loan. If Ayew and gestede are just going to take time to develop then he may want a loan as he only needs someone here for the short term.

• Like 4