Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Sinclair and Townsend speeding on the flanks with Huddlestone pinging balls for them to run on to. That seems to be the thinking. Not so sure on huddlestone though :(

I wonder if people said the same when some had doubts about N'Zogbia?

What's your point? 

You can't just stop trying because you get your fingers burned once, or even ten times. Football is not one for the meek. 

• Like 2

We are in a position, having just finished 17th again, whereby we have to gamble to a certain degree on players that have something to prove, or faults in their game that we can work around. We have to build a squad, players with genuine proven talent do not want to come here and rightly so. I wouldn't. 

So players like Richards, Townsend and Huddlestone, I honestly don't see how we can do much better. Perhaps we take these gambles abroad instead, but gambles they would still be. They'd just have fancier names. 

O'Neill may have made some horrendous mistakes, but he also took us to 6th place signing players like these. We could use a Young and a Milner too, but those deals often take longer to process if they can happen at all for a club in a position like ours.

Now is not the time to count the chickens, that would be September 1st. 

• Like 1

I still think the huddlestone and Townsend links are "lazy journalism" to an extent. It makes sense that we'd sign them, but I don't think we will. Other targets would be more appealing. There's a big unknown over the new owners too and where that will leave us

He's so much better than Weimann, it's not even a valid comparison. 

I don't really know what £12m buys you these days. It has been so long since we spent that kind of money. I imagine it's the going price for a slightly above average premier league player.  

My problem isn't with Townsend himself, just that you could probably buy two more technically gifted European players for the same price.

We could sign 4 Carlos Gils!

C. Gil

Carles

Carles G

Gil

Good bench.

I just see Townsend, Huddlestone and Richards as the next decades Dunne, Barton and Ireland and players of that ilk. Obviously have talent and have shown it to an extent. Expensive, British and average. However better than we currently have and in Huddlestone and Richards id be relatively happy.

However Townsend is a one trick pony all be it a trick (score from 20 yards+) that people love to see. His performance for England the other night was woeful, run, run, run inside, head down, shoot and that is his general play IMO. Would be £12 million up the wall.

• Like 1

I still think the huddlestone and Townsend links are "lazy journalism" to an extent. It makes sense that we'd sign them, but I don't think we will. Other targets would be more appealing. There's a big unknown over the new owners too and where that will leave us

I live in Hull, word is that Huddlestone is due to have a medical at Villa. I have also had Hull fans thanking me for us taking him off their hands...

My problem isn't with Townsend himself, just that you could probably buy two more technically gifted European players for the same price.

We could sign 4 Carlos Gils!

C. Gil

Carles

Carles G

Gil

Good bench.

C. Gil - Dead Leg

Carles - Manager doesn't fancy him.

Carles G - Forrin

Gil - Left the ground after being dropped, never to be seen again.

Such a waste...

• Like 1

I live in Hull, word is that Huddlestone is due to have a medical at Villa. I have also had Hull fans thanking me for us taking him off their hands...

Firstly, my apologies that you have to live there. Secondly, in my opinion they will still be angry about their relegation and Huddlestone was seen to have under-performed last season significantly. If we rewound 12 months they wouldn't be happy at all to hear he was having a medical with us.

• Like 2

Sinclair, Richards, Huddlestone and Townsend would represent decent business so far this summer IMO, I'm not sure why there is so much complaining

• Like 4

We've already taken a massive risk on Richards and I don't want us to do the same on people like Townsend or Huddlestone. It reeks of poor judgement.

Or good judgement if they turn out to be good signings?

Good old VT writing off players before they have even kicked a ball

Most games are on TV (legal or illegal), it's not like it was 20 years ago when judging a player was hard. Some people (myself included - although not as much recently) have watched hundreds of games in a season. So we are quite entitled to judge based on what we have seen.

Your entitled to. But as for me I always like to give the player an opportunity in VILLA colours before i make decision on them.

I certainly will be supporting Micah and not be so negative towards him before he has even put the shirt on.

This has been done to death. Sinclair is was/shite also, as was Cleverly. I want big fancy signings too, but I trust the manager more than I do you.