Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

Many may have forgotten about former Everton midfielder Li Tie, who was one of the first (if not the first?) Chinese players in England, and who played for China as they reached the 2002 World Cup. Anyway, most recently he was managing the national team during a dreadful qualifying campaign, and he has now been arrested and is under investigation for 'serious violations of the laws' according to a provincial anti-corruption watchdog. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Many may have forgotten about former Everton midfielder Li Tie, who was one of the first (if not the first?) Chinese players in England, and who played for China as they reached the 2002 World Cup. Anyway, most recently he was managing the national team during a dreadful qualifying campaign, and he has now been arrested and is under investigation for 'serious violations of the laws' according to a provincial anti-corruption watchdog. 

I think Fan Zhiyi and Sun Jihai were the first in England, Palace in '98. The latter having a decent career at Man City from '02 onwards. 

:) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

I think Fan Zhiyi and Sun Jihai were the first in England, Palace in '98. The latter having a decent career at Man City from '02 onwards. 

:) 

I remember Sun Jihai was still playing when I saw a CSL match in Shanghai in 2011. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Loïc Remy. Without a club since July after spending a few years in Turkey. Legend on Fifa. 

Nicklas Helenius. Still playing in Denmark and only 31 years old. Can't believe I got his name on the back of a shirt. Has to be unique.

Libor Kozak. 1 goal in 11 appearances in the highly rated Slovak Super Liga.

Nathan Delfouneso is currently playing for Accrington Stsnley and still only 31 years old. My younger self thought he had everything to become the complete CF.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Xela said:

Richard Rufus

Back in the news with a bang today.

That's a good one, used to obsessively watch a VHS of the 98/99 season when I was about 6, some distant part of my brain has just instantly recalled him scoring an own goal against us while playing for Charlton

Clearly been a busy boy since!

Edited by icouldtelltheworld
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

That's a good one, used to obsessively watch a VHS of the 98/99 season when I was about 6, some distant part of my brain has just instantly recalled him scoring an own goal against us while playing for Charlton

Clearly been a busy boy since!

Pretty sure at the time he was being labelled as a future England international as well

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure at the time he was being labelled as a future England international as well

Must have been fairly highly regarded, England had a lot of good centre backs around then. The extent of my knowledge of him is that he scored an own goal against us and has a knack for fraudulent pyramid schemes!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw an article about Islam Feruz... Like Ryan Gauld he was touted to be the 'Scottish Messi' but as that's not exactly an endorsement of ability, sort of like being the best dominos player in Burkina Faso, he now sells hats for a living 

Â