Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

Just now, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I don't know why, but I was thinking about Ulises de la Cruz today. Turns out that he was a member of the Ecuadorian national assembly until 2017. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulises_de_la_Cruz

Weirdly, Alpay was elected to the Turkish national assembly, in 2018. 

Can we make a former Villa XI who have all dabbled in politics? 

I would bet Alpay is an extremist on whatever his political views are 😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would bet Alpay is an extremist on whatever his political views are 😂

Apparently he's part of Erdogan's party (AKP):

https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/2/8/306407/World/Region/Turkey-swears-in-new-parliament-with-proErdogan-ma.aspx

Sounds like a fun place:

The new parliament is set to include some colourful characters as the AKP seeks to bring in figures from outside politics.

Former Turkey international footballer Alpay Ozalan, who famously taunted David Beckham in a notorious Euro 2004 qualifier, has been elected for the AKP.

Also elected for the AKP is the former world Supersport motorcycle champion Kenan Sofuoglu, who raised eyebrows by showing for the ceremony in a Lamborghini sports car.

A high-profile new MP for the HDP is the investigative journalist Ahmet Sik, who was handed a seven-and-a-half year jail sentence in April along with other staff from the opposition Cumhuriyet daily but is free pending appeal.

1 hour ago, a-k said:

Jores Okore. Now playing in China.

I know he was highly rated before he joined villa and turned down chelsea and a few others, but he's had s poor career for that promise he had

Just now, Jimzk5 said:

I know he was highly rated before he joined villa and turned down chelsea and a few others, but he's had s poor career for that promise he had

That injury wrecked his career - such a shame  as he had great promise 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/06/2021 at 21:34, icouldtelltheworld said:

Just flicked onto an MLS game and Carles Gil is playing for New England Revolution 

...and he's currently top of the power rankings!

mvp.jpg

Edited by Beastmix
  • Like 1

If Gil just moved to Valencia instead of us at the time his career trajectory would have probably been a lot better. He was a good player. It was bad luck he ran into Lambert and Sherwood over here that completely derailed his development.

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If Gil just moved to Valencia instead of us at the time his career trajectory would have probably been a lot better. He was a good player. It was bad luck he ran into Lambert and Sherwood over here that completely derailed his development.

He signed from Valencia, wasn't good enough for them. He wasnt good enough wherever he went. Hilarious called a mix of Messi, Silva and Iniesta by some fans and many in 2016 wanted us to dump Jack to keep Gil 

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He signed from Valencia, wasn't good enough for them. He wasnt good enough wherever he went. Hilarious called a mix of Messi, Silva and Iniesta by some fans and many in 2016 wanted us to dump Jack to keep Gil 

Was it Sevilla he was going to join? I can't remember. We beat someone to his signature from what I remember.

This is kind of like when people get mad that Jack is compared to Iniesta by Gabby. They're just talking about playstyle. Silva is a good shout, but I thought he was more of an Isco or Cazorla type player. He was very good before Lambert got sacked and then dropped for no reason by Sherwood despite waxing lyrical about his "wand of a left foot" when he first got here :lol: 

He scored some nice goals but didn't have much acceleration and was pushed off the ball too easily. For where we were back then he was fine but would struggle to even get on the bench now.

Had only been playing for lower teams in Spain so completely different compared to say Canales who we were sort of linked under Lambert and has continued to play for top level La Liga teams since and could've easily made the Spanish euros squad.

21 hours ago, Beastmix said:

...and he's currently top of the power rankings!

mvp.jpg

That’s three players I’d completely forgotten about (and two I’d never heard of). 

26 minutes ago, choffer said:

That’s three players I’d completely forgotten about (and two I’d never heard of). 

you never heard of Nani? ;)  

Raul Ruidiaz is probably a bigger name in football than Carles Gil

Â