Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

38 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

I'd take him here! Jesse Lingard has demonstrated that good players don't automatically become bad players just by sitting on the bench for Manchester United.

I think he has been awful everytime I have seen him play. Not awful awful, just a complete non entity. I wouldn't even call him a crab, I have never seen him pass sideways. Only backwards.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think he has been awful everytime I have seen him play. Not awful awful, just a complete non entity. I wouldn't even call him a crab, I have never seen him pass sideways. Only backwards.

He's been involved in everything since he moved to West Ham. I've been impressed with him and Tomáš Souček whenever I've watched them play this season.

16 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Have just seen that Wes Hoolahan scored for Cambridge United at the weekend - people thought he was too old when we tried to sign him under Lambert! 

He's 39 in a few weeks. One of those players who probably should have ended up at a bigger club but was trapped in the lower leagues for too long when he was coming through and ended up in a struggling team when he finally did make it to the Premier League.  I dare say if he'd been at the youth academy of an established Premier League club then he'd have been a real star.   Still absolutely bossing it in League Two though, Cambridge have gone flirting with relegation every season to being in the automatic promotion places all of this season.   It's been something of a delight to get the Wes Hoolahan minute on Football Weekly most weeks which happens simply because the host of the show is a Cambridge fan. 

• Like 2

I think Wes Hoolahan I immediately think back to the times when we couldn't afford or have the muscle to poach a 30 year old from Norwich.

Bloody good player, apparently in his younger years he wasn't the model professional he should have been. Mid 20s when he came to the football league?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

He's 39 in a few weeks. One of those players who probably should have ended up at a bigger club but was trapped in the lower leagues for too long when he was coming through and ended up in a struggling team when he finally did make it to the Premier League.  I dare say if he'd been at the youth academy of an established Premier League club then he'd have been a real star.   Still absolutely bossing it in League Two though, Cambridge have gone flirting with relegation every season to being in the automatic promotion places all of this season.   It's been something of a delight to get the Wes Hoolahan minute on Football Weekly most weeks which happens simply because the host of the show is a Cambridge fan. 

He didnt make it to England until he was about 25, it could be why he has the younger to keep going. 

I remember i saw him win man of the match in a Champions League qualifier vs Deportivo who were precious seasons semi finalist and wondered why nobody signed him except Livingston

20 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He has the underrated skill of being able to find space in the middle of the pitch, absolutely killed us with it, played between our lines with ease, gives himself time and means he's an easy outball

Agree that he's then nothing special once he's then in that space with the ball... 

But it's something that villa are craving, especially with grealish generating so much space for others, Lingards movement for West ham is exactly what Barkleys should be for us 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Joe Lolley, is he still at Forest or did he get a move in the end. noticed recently his thread doesnt get bumped as before

I had forgotten about him as well. I have just looked on google and seen that he suffered a bad hamstring injury the other week so his season is over. :(

Going by the report I just read, it looks like he has played 28 games this season for Forest but hasn't really hit the form from previous seasons for them with only 1 goal and 2 assists.

On 16/01/2021 at 01:57, icouldtelltheworld said:

Watching the play off final back, I'd completely forgot that Ashley Cole played against us for Derby that day. If you'd pressed me on it I'd have told you he retired years ago

I think that was his final game as  player. Like JT for us the year before.

Nicklas Helenius anymore? The only thing I can remember about him was that he literally had his pants pulled down with us.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Joe Lolley, is he still at Forest or did he get a move in the end. noticed recently his thread doesnt get bumped as before

he seems to rarely even get in their team these days!

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Said it once and I will say it again. Luke Moore. Retired at 30 never to be seen again.

Not seen one interview with the guy since, or even a mention of his name. Where is he? What is he up to?

He was scientifically enhanced with Brazilian skillset and won man of the match for Spurs at VP the other night

On 23/03/2021 at 10:42, The_Rev said:

That's not Max Rushden is it, makes the Hawksbee and Jacobs show unlistenable for 3/5 days in the week nowadays with his very odd takes and fascinations and the Sunday show with Glenddening (who I think also pops up on the podcast) is just a 2-3 hour parody of "we're really bad and can't believe you're listening to us but nothing really matters."

Sorry wrong thread.😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Joe Allen is still alive and only 31 and gone off injured for Wales after 8 minutes.

Was he ever any good. Weird one.

I thought he'd have been a good signing for us a few years back as better of that type than Westwood but wierdly gone into semi retirement mode since signing for Stoke.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Joe Allen is still alive and only 31 and gone off injured for Wales after 8 minutes.

Was he ever any good. Weird one.

Welsh Xavi, actually 

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

That's not Max Rushden is it, makes the Hawksbee and Jacobs show unlistenable for 3/5 days in the week nowadays with his very odd takes and fascinations and the Sunday show with Glenddening (who I think also pops up on the podcast) is just a 2-3 hour parody of "we're really bad and can't believe you're listening to us but nothing really matters."

Sorry wrong thread.😆

Yeah.  I’ve never listened to TalkSport but he’s fine on Football Weekly, but it’s not really his show so he doesn’t really talk much beyond keeping the running order moving align. Glendenning has been on Football Weekly since day one (2006 I think, I’ve been listening to it since the 07/08 season and he’s certainly been on it since then) and I’ve always found him fine.  Talk Radio broadly speaking is shite though, they have too much time to fill and not enough things to talk about so it’s gonna be vapid.  

• Like 1

Â