2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

If someone buying the club has agreed a fee of say 150mil thats for the value of the club and players isnt it ..so say worse case scenario Benteke and Delph where sold for 42.5mil can a buyer then turn around and say the club has been devalued by almost a third the price is now 108 mil ?

i guess the counter is any money recieved is in the clubs bank account so u would get the club plus 42mil im the bank.

If someone buying the club has agreed a fee of say 150mil thats for the value of the club and players isnt it ..so say worse case scenario Benteke and Delph where sold for 42.5mil can a buyer then turn around and say the club has been devalued by almost a third the price is now 108 mil ?

i guess the counter is any money recieved is in the clubs bank account so u would get the club plus 42mil im the bank.

it doesn't work like that.

Edited by Stevo985

it doesn't work like that.

In around about way i believe that exactly how it works.  A business agrees a fee with a buyer and in the process of the deal being completed, the current owner decides to sell assets then the buyer will either pull out or renegotiate depending how both value the assets.

But the value of the assets, in this case Delph and Benteke, won't be the amount we would receive for them.

If somebody bought Benteke for £200m we wouldn't be giving somebody £50m to buy the club.

• Like 2

Players aren't chattels. Their playing contracts / registrations are assets of the company and are handled no differently to any other depreciating asset. Any valuation in financial terms would be highly subjective and would need to reflect all aspects of the contract including fees, commissions, compensation and wages.

I'm sure an accountant will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong because I've used one word in slightly the wrong way :)

But the value of the assets, in this case Delph and Benteke, won't be the amount we would receive for them.

If somebody bought Benteke for £200m we wouldn't be giving somebody £50m to buy the club.

Yes but the club would be valued differently from the start and the asking price wouldnt be 150mill.  The value of Bentekes contract would be agreed upon and the buyer would have this information.  If he didn't value the asset at what Lerner set then he wouldn't be bidding the asking price.

I thought transfers were embargoed during a takeover period? 

So everyone keeps saying but we've signed Richards and sold Weimann and Lowton. Our squad is so bad right now that it's too important to put everything on hold for a big chunk of the transfer window. Lerner must know that.

I thought transfers were embargoed during a takeover period? 

So everyone keeps saying but we've signed Richards and sold Weimann and Lowton. Our squad is so bad right now that it's too important to put everything on hold for a big chunk of the transfer window. Lerner must know that.

It's fairly obvious that we aren't embargoed. I was just wondering if anyone knew why or if it is even a policy during a proposed takeover.

Edited by sexbelowsound

I very much doubt there is a policy in place to prevent any new signings, would be suicide for the club if there were, we could miss out on targets etc, and if sale dragged on could be left with mere weeks or even days to conclude any transfers.

More likely we have a transfer budget (both transfer fee and wages) set and it's simply business as usual as long as as prospective signings fall within that budget.

In any case the club has worked really hard to put professional structures in place, starting with Fox and Reilly, if any of that structure changes dramatically following a takeover I'd be seriously worried, i.e. Reilly leaves and some clown of the likes of Redknapp or Kinnear come in as consultant / director of football / recruitment etc, sadly it happens all often at other clubs and never ends well.

Absolute best case following a takeover nothing changes except an increased budget for player purchases.  I believe Reilly and team have a heap of well researched targets both within current budget and out of current budget.

Also last thing you want from a new owner is direct involvement in player recruitment, i.e. i don't him, I've always liked him etc, we pay professionals to make those judgements....

• Like 1

There is absolutely no way that a club would suspend all transfer or contract activity during a potential takeover, certainly not during the exclusivity due diligence phase which is the financial equivalent of kicking a clubs tire. 

In the transfer window era of football, the summer is simply too crucial to be inactive in this period, I may have frequently called Lerner a fool but he isn't an idiot.

The arrivals of Richards and Wilkins, the departures of others and the unseen work to sign players or renew deals will continue irrespective of who has their name over the door next season.

These days more than ever, to an extent a clubs budget is set by FFP so Villa will be continuing to work on the assumption that its business as normal until it becomes clear a takeover is happening.

What happens then, well that will depend on a clubs new owners view on the incumbent manager, in our case I wouldn't expect any sudden changes on that front.

• Like 2

Â