The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

FWIW the Seahawks used 'Moneyball' in 2 instances over the last few years. They (we ;) ) went to the Superbowl twice and won it once.

Rangy, long cornerbacks to then train up to become NFL standard - worked exceptionally well

Drafting defensive lineman with a certain attribute and training them up to be offensive lineman - didn't work

I really think it could work. Especially on a budget. You pick up players that are unbelievably good at one thing, but lacking sufficiently in others that bigger clubs will pass over them. Then you can coach the other attributes that they lack. But you need fantastic coaching for it to work.

I'd argue Benteke follows that 'Moneyball' philosophy. He was raw when he came to us, lacking in some areas. We trained him up and he became a more complete player and went for money befitting of a complete player.

• Like 3

FWIW the Seahawks used 'Moneyball' in 2 instances over the last few years. They (we ;) ) went to the Superbowl twice and won it once.

Rangy, long cornerbacks to then train up to become NFL standard - worked exceptionally well

Drafting defensive lineman with a certain attribute and training them up to be offensive lineman - didn't work

I really think it could work. Especially on a budget. You pick up players that are unbelievably good at one thing, but lacking sufficiently in others that bigger clubs will pass over them. Then you can coach the other attributes that they lack. But you need fantastic coaching for it to work.

I'd argue Benteke follows that 'Moneyball' philosophy. He was raw when he came to us, lacking in some areas. We trained him up and he became a more complete player and went for money befitting of a complete player.

isn't that effectively what Saunders/Barton/ McLaren did with the slight exception that we didn't sell them......We bought them cheap, coached them in to more complete players, but we kept them and won the League......can we call it "smallchangeball"

I see madman Marcelo Bielsa is still free, maybe we could put him in charge if we get rid of Tim, also Jorge Sampaoli is looking to manage in Europe. These are managers we need to be chasing, show ambition

I'd love us to take a gamble on someone like 'Madman' Bielsa should Sherwood get the boot. Pep once called Bielsa 'the greatest manager in the world.' It's almost nailed-on to be Moyes though unfortunately...

I've just been on TBAR and there's like a news ticker thing at the top of the page and it says 'A slip of the tongue from Swindon Chairman suggests that Sherwood is finished. I don't know what he's meant to have said though.

I've just been on TBAR and there's like a news ticker thing at the top of the page and it says 'A slip of the tongue from Swindon Chairman suggests that Sherwood is finished. I don't know what he's meant to have said though.

Lee Power did used to be a football agent, maybe he has heard something. Maybe it's just TBAR being TBAR 

Lee Power did used to be a football agent, maybe he has heard something. Maybe it's just TBAR being TBAR 

It's probably just TBAR getting carried away with something insignificant. But I think I'm right in saying that Sherwood and the Swindon Chairman are meant to be good friends.

“We might be 50 grand short of getting someone like Gus (Poyet).

“It is nice to have big names linked and I’m sure Gus will probably be sitting at home and smiling.

“You go down the list and you see names like Brendan Rodgers and Tim Sherwood, who is a friend of mine.

“You can only dream of people like that coming to manage the football club.

“They are just coming out of the Premier League, they aren’t going to drop down to League One and you wouldn’t be able to afford them if you could.

“We’ll be looking at the market that is relative for us and someone that can work within the philosophy of what we’re trying to achieve at the football club.”

Link

Their chairman made these comments a few days ago. I doubt he has any inside info, just a minor slip of the tongue.

He would probably do well managing Swindon

More his level

I think your doing league 1 a diservice 

Tactics, formations, not pissing your players off by calling them losers, and generally knowing your own arse from your elbow are qualities even league 1 Manager's require.

He will most likely get a couple more gigs before ending up as a rent a mouth on talksport, failing that he'll turn up a SHA.

On the moneyball thing, isn't that based on a closed economy with a wage cap and draft system?

In the world of actual football it's more a fancy name for buying cheap and selling with profit imo, teams have been doing that for ages

• Like 2

Â