The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

On the moneyball thing, isn't that based on a closed economy with a wage cap and draft system?

In the world of actual football it's more a fancy name for buying cheap and selling with profit imo, teams have been doing that for ages

No

• Like 2

On the moneyball thing, isn't that based on a closed economy with a wage cap and draft system?

In the world of actual football it's more a fancy name for buying cheap and selling with profit imo, teams have been doing that for ages

No

Ok, always willing to learn

Care to elaborate?

It isn't just about buying cheap.

It's buying players who are outstanding in one attribute which is why they're not expensive and training up their other attributes to make them more complete.

It isn't just hoping that a cheap player will come good. It's heavily scouted.

An example would be Amavi, You'd look at his tackles and interceptions; assume he has those attributes because he has the ability to be a complete defender, you train up the attributes he's lacking in and you get a complete player. The alternative would be to target a more complete, polished player but the price will obviously be higher.

• Like 2

“We might be 50 grand short of getting someone like Gus (Poyet).

“It is nice to have big names linked and I’m sure Gus will probably be sitting at home and smiling.

“You go down the list and you see names like Brendan Rodgers and Tim Sherwood, who is a friend of mine.

“You can only dream of people like that coming to manage the football club.

“They are just coming out of the Premier League, they aren’t going to drop down to League One and you wouldn’t be able to afford them if you could.

“We’ll be looking at the market that is relative for us and someone that can work within the philosophy of what we’re trying to achieve at the football club.”

Link

Their chairman made these comments a few days ago. I doubt he has any inside info, just a minor slip of the tongue.

I heard that interview on Talksport and he also said something about Sherwood not getting the targets he was after, like we saw reports of last week.

So TBAR might be referring to something more than those quotes above.

I imagine it's a lot easier to implement in US sports too. Where there's a smaller pool of talent to scout.

Considering that for baseball, there are 30 major league teams with 25-man squads, plus 5 or 6 farm teams of the same, plus American universities and high schools, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Japan and Korea, the talent pool isn't that much smaller. 

Edited by kayarcee
  • Like 1

There's plenty to chose from but compared to football it's pretty small.

I think you're underestimating how many people play baseball.

It's less than football, but it's still a HELL of a lot.

• Like 2

No

Ok, always willing to learn

Care to elaborate?

NOOOOO!!!

It's buying players who are outstanding in one attribute which is why they're not expensive and training up their other attributes to make them more complete.

An example would be Amavi, You'd look at his tackles and interceptions; assume he has those attributes because he has the ability to be a complete defender, you train up the attributes he's lacking in and you get a complete player. The alternative would be to target a more complete, polished player but the price will obviously be higher.

I think it needs to be acknowledged that the reason the Oakland A's had to shop in the cheaper end of the market was because they had one of the lowest budgets in MLB. Their annual budget of $40 million was the 3rd lowest in the league whilst the New York Yankees had the highest budget at $140 million.

Finding value in players who were overlooked because of outdated scouting methods was essentially the approach taken. Nothing about re-sale value but simply about buying runs instead of buying player and placing an emphasis on looking at stats that weren't looked at by other teams.

Eventually teams with bigger budgets cottoned onto what the Oakland A's were doing and adopted a similar strategy but with far higher budgets and essentially destroyed the approach that the A's had because once again the playing field was no longer equal.

At last. Someone who understands the original meaning of Moneyball

I think it needs to be acknowledged that the reason the Oakland A's had to shop in the cheaper end of the market was because they had one of the lowest budgets in MLB. Their annual budget of $40 million was the 3rd lowest in the league whilst the New York Yankees had the highest budget at $140 million.

Finding value in players who were overlooked because of outdated scouting methods was essentially the approach taken. Nothing about re-sale value but simply about buying runs instead of buying player and placing an emphasis on looking at stats that weren't looked at by other teams.

Eventually teams with bigger budgets cottoned onto what the Oakland A's were doing and adopted a similar strategy but with far higher budgets and essentially destroyed the approach that the A's had because once again the playing field was no longer equal.

At last. Someone who understands the original meaning of Moneyball

Basically we're signing players for cheap and hoping that they improve so that we can sell them on for a profit. But that's what pretty much every team is doing anyway. I don't think it's anything new. And it's what we'll be doing with or without Reilly and Almstadt.

Edited by useless

Oh bread puns!! 

He'd be toast before the season was out. Our defence would be far too easy to roll over, we'd baguette a couple of wins before the fans got a cob on over a few naan-sensical results. 

That's a wrap. 

/bread

No mention of recalling Baker? Oh Eames, I am disappointed.

:P

• Like 1

Â