The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Here comes the new manager, just like the old manager.

The lunatics are slowly taking over the asylum.

Except that these guys we're looking at at least have more than a seasons worth of managerial experience.

I'm sure there is no question about them actually having their badges either. :P

I'm thinking that we play Spurs and you'd think that Sherwood would be right up for that game

You make it sound like he's a player......I think he has been right up for every game.....its the players being up for it, is in doubt.

Which is Sherwood's fault.

Motivating players was meant to be what he's good at. Without that, I'm not sure what positives he brings to the role.

but how do you know that......motivation is an abstract......it could be them not responding due to them, not him

How do I know what?

That Sherwood isn't motivating the players? I watch our games.
Plus there are stats that say we cover less ground than most other Premier League teams, which suggests the players aren't working very hard.

Whoever's fault it is, the buck stops with the manager. If the players aren't responding to him then he's not the man for the job. We need to get somebody in who is. Good managers motivate their teams. If Sherwood has already lost the players in this regard then he's not a very good manager (although we already know that).

How do you know that our poor results are the result of Sherwood not motivating the players....I watch the same games as you.....I see a bunch of players, who are making so many individual errors, that it's affecting our results.

You say it's sherwoods fault in a manner that there is no doubt.....I think there is much doubt, that it is a singular problem.

Our poor results are the result of a number of things. I never said they were solely down to a lack of motivation.

Read this very quote tree. You were the one who was talking about motivation. You said the players weren't up for it. I merely said that if that's a problem then it's Sherwood's fault.

Motivating players is one of the most important things a manager has to do. I'm sure some would argue it's THE most important thing. If you're saying the players aren't motivated then that is a huge problem, and if it's a problem then it is Sherwood's fault. I don't know how you can deny that a lack of motivation in the squad is the manager's fault.

I never mentioned the word motivation.....The word I used is "Character" which is intrinsic, I don't happen to see much on match day.Managers cannot guarantee to instill character in a player, they can work on them, its a process which takes time.....something Tim Sherwood hasn't got.

Come on mate, now you're just moving the goalposts. You said the players weren't "up for it". That is as a result of motivation, by definition. 

Regardless, it still comes back to the manager's ability to motivate. If the players aren't motivated, then the manager is failing, regardless of whoever is to blame. 

• Like 1

Yeah but that's because the players aren't doing what Tim is telling them

17405094_144x108.png

Edited by av1

.....it may have the desired effect, but is it right and is there a much more intelligent solution.

what would a "much more intelligent solution" look like exactly?

it was a question, not an answer......I have commented many times, i don't know the answer, just questioning the rationale behind changing managers every 5 minutes.

• Like 1

.....it may have the desired effect, but is it right and is there a much more intelligent solution.

what would a "much more intelligent solution" look like exactly?

it was a question, not an answer......I have commented many times, i don't know the answer, just questioning the rationale behind changing managers every 5 minutes.

We aren't changing managers every 5 minutes though, are we? Lambert had just under 3 years before Sherwood. Although Sherwood has only had coming up to 9 months, he is averaging less than a point a game in his time here, so if he doesn't improve soon we are going down, unless of course we bring a better manager in.

I'm thinking that we play Spurs and you'd think that Sherwood would be right up for that game

You make it sound like he's a player......I think he has been right up for every game.....its the players being up for it, is in doubt.

Which is Sherwood's fault.

Motivating players was meant to be what he's good at. Without that, I'm not sure what positives he brings to the role.

im not sure motivation was ever a strong point of his,  if it was I wouldnt have first hand witnessed an abject failure to turn up on the cup final.  He is a chancer nothing more nothing less

You may be right as it is possible that with Lambert having lost the plot so badly and gone so negative that Sherwood got an initial reaction out of the players simply by allowing them to take the Lambert shackles off and encouraging them to go out to attack, create chances and score some goals. That I guess can be the trouble with the initial bounce you get from a new manager in that it may not be a long term indicator as to what is to come.

I guess we will find a lot out about Sherwood and his ability to motivate the players, or their willingness to put a shift in for their manager, on Saturday. Given the importance of the game I expect us to come out all guns blazing and really taking the game to Swansea. For what it’s worth I think we’ll win by a couple of goals resulting in Sherwood remaining in post for a while longer at least which as long as he starts to get results suits me fine as that is the bottom line for me.

I have seen some say even if we win on Saturday they want him gone. Those supporters are living in la la land though if they think that could happen. A win gets him till the Watford home at least given the fixtures before that.

I am fortunate I guess as I don’t despise Sherwood like some and remain relatively neutral with him. If he starts to get results then great I am happy to see him stay. If he doesn't immediately get results though, meaning the next game, then I will be happy to see the back of him and see someone else get a chance.

Mark I totally understand why you maybe felt the need to reference Lambert in the first paragraph but to be honest I'm not as on board with the whole "got an initial bounce from the players" as some on here are.  We'd have finished higher and further away and not relied on other teams results last season if that was the case but there you are.

Fact is he is manager in his own right now and IMO,  and the opinion of a majority of others it seems,  he is doing it badly.

Not sure why people are living in "la la Land" to want him gone even if we win on Saturday.  It's their right to have that opinion and a lot do.  Me included.  See my thought is that he is wrong for us now. Wrong now and wrong in the future so one result doesn't do it.  I'm not sure either we as a club,  or him as a person actually,  can continue basing his tenure with us on one result,  the next result or if he wins he can stay a bit longer at least until XXX game in the future if he loses he has to go which I am reading from your post.  Cant run a club like that.  Back him or sack him For me if he is wrong now he'll be wrong after Saturday regardless of the result.  I happen to think the decision makers at the club feel that way too now and not just based on  results but based on how he has handled himself. Taking the back him or sack him thing,  there hasn't been much baking this week has there?

I dont despise Sherwood.  I've said before it's difficult to form a judgement on someone like that until you have spent a fair while in their company personally.  I've met him sure but certainly not long enough to form an opinion of despise or not.  I just happen to think he is a poor manager wrong for us right now.  I think if he stays much longer we will definitely go down.  As it is I think there's a greater than 50:50 chance of that this season anyway and a lot of that is down to him,  not all but a lot.

I think we need to get someone in and maybe with an eye on rebuilding for a championship promotion push.  The club is in a very very great mess it is hard to underestimate the level of shit we are in right now to be honest it makes the mess that GTMK1 referred to as a minor trouble.  It's going to take some effort to trun this great club around,  Sherwood is not that man for that job.  Not now and not if we beat Swansea!

• Like 1

David Moyes just bought a house in Spain and just moved in according to Sid Lowe. That is a non runner plus he also said the stories about fans wanting him out in English sound bollocks

So? He's rich enough for that to not be anything more than a minor inconvenience.

David Moyes just bought a house in Spain and just moved in according to Sid Lowe. That is a non runner plus he also said the stories about fans wanting him out in English sound bollocks

So? He's rich enough for that to not be anything more than a minor inconvenience.

Exactly, i'll give him my house if he wants to come back

Â