The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Nope. No gambles please. We can gamble on a manger whbe we've re-established ourselves in the league. 

Allardyce is perfect for a season or two to deliver the mouth watering prospect of mid table mediocrity. From there we can hire a manager who can push us on further. 

We need to stop trying to hire managers who might win us the league on the off chance that they turn into a good manager. We need to take smaller steps. 

Sherwood was indeed a gamble (which most fans saw as a big risk), Lambert and McLeish not such much and look where that got us!

Then you have to look at Saints recent managerial appointments and looking to Europe for a manager is not always a risk.

But we're Villa and will never get such an important decision right ;)

I'd prefer someone like Bielsa, for sure, we need someone proven but I don't think it has to be someone who's proven in this league, that kind of thinking has held us back in the past.

• Like 1

Why is it that we only seem to hire idiots? McLeish first, then Lambert, now Sherwood. McLeish alsmost looks like the best of the bunch, and that really says it all...

(By that I mean football idiots, I'm not talking about them as individuals)

Edited by WooJung

Nope. No gambles please. We can gamble on a manger whbe we've re-established ourselves in the league. 

Allardyce is perfect for a season or two to deliver the mouth watering prospect of mid table mediocrity. From there we can hire a manager who can push us on further. 

We need to stop trying to hire managers who might win us the league on the off chance that they turn into a good manager. We need to take smaller steps. 

Sherwood was indeed a gamble (which most fans saw as a big risk), Lambert and McLeish not such much and look where that got us!

Then you have to look at Saints recent managerial appointments and looking to Europe for a manager is not always a risk.

But we're Villa and will never get such an important decision right ;)

We need to build the foundations before we go and get a European manager imo. We just need to go back to basics and work on the simple things like team shape and structure in how we play. Fat Sam would bring that, 2 or 3 years of that then a European manager can add the icing on the cake with a bit of flair. I think for too long we've looked an absolute shambles at the back now. 

I don't have any faith in Fox whatsoever. He took the easy and most obvious option with Sherwood. His reason behind it was that Sherwood was a young and exciting, up and coming manager. Utter bollocks. He did a shit job at Spurs and is doing a shit job at Villa 

I do not think that was the `easy' option, and I certainly think it was the correct one, given that we are still in the division. Add to that the transfers in the summer, when we brought in some very exciting young players, and I certainly looked forward with some optimism to the season.

But Sherwood cannot turn it around from here, and I think Fox is a guy who will not hesitate to sack him. Remember he had Sherwood sitting in the stands while still professing his support for Lambert.

I don't have any faith in Fox whatsoever. He took the easy and most obvious option with Sherwood. His reason behind it was that Sherwood was a young and exciting, up and coming manager. Utter bollocks. He did a shit job at Spurs and is doing a shit job at Villa 

I do not think that was the `easy' option, and I certainly think it was the correct one, given that we are still in the division. Add to that the transfers in the summer, when we brought in some very exciting young players, and I certainly looked forward with some optimism to the season.

But Sherwood cannot turn it around from here, and I think Fox is a guy who will not hesitate to sack him. Remember he had Sherwood sitting in the stands while still professing his support for Lambert.

Difference is though Sherwood is Fox's man. It would have been a lot easier for Fox to sack Lambert than Sherwood because Lambert wasn't his choice. 

I think over the next few weeks we will find out what type of a CEO Fox is. Whatever happened to the Chairman Lerner was supposed to employ? 

Edited by PieFacE

I went to Liverpool last week and managed to bite my tongue all week choosing to give Sherwood the benefit of the doubt, but I have to say a few things this week!

Its as though Tims arrogance cannot stand these "tactics tim" nicknames and piss takes and he has to prove that he is a tactical genius, by not only coming up with weird and wonderful game plans, but actually different game plans every 45 minutes!

Its no wonder all our new players haven't settled, they don't have a clue what formation they are playing from one minute to the next and who will be playing next to them.

It seemed to start with the blues game, when he made that bizarre full time interview about the horror show first half being all part of the plan to pin them back and it was always the plan to make the two subs at half time (despite admitting 5 seconds earlier that gabby was injured so clearly not pre planned)!

Last week at Liverpool, we had a chance to go to a team low on confidence and pressure a poor back line into mistakes. Instead he set up with Hutton man marking sturridge as a kind of third centre back, forcing Sinclair to effectively play right back! He then clearly instructed all three midfielders to drop deep onto their own back line everytime we lost the ball, thus not putting any pressure on Liverpools weakness. Showing them far too much respect. The first half last week was the worst I had seen from any villa side, including Lambert.

Today was just bizarre. A total formation and personell change, but you know what? After 20 or so minutes we looked ok, It seemed were were contesting. So at Half time, he makes a sub and completely changes the formation again. Is it a coincidence that their goal early in the second half found a gaping hole between two centre backs who 5 minutes previously had been in a back 3?

The he proceeds to just throw on all the creative players in one failed lump.

I genuinely believe there are good players and a good team (minus a striker) in this squad, this guy just cannot see what it is and at the moment, his tactical plan is clearly just one big panic. If it doesn't work brilliantly after 45 minutes, tear it up and get a new one. Its ridiculous

• Like 2

The thing is with Sherwood I have no confidence at all that he will turn things around because he's just not a good manager. With the previous managers you at least knew that they had had some relative success with their previous clubs. With Sherwood there is nothing. It's unbelievably stupid if Fox doesn't act in the next few days.

• Like 1

I'm not going to shed any tears if Sherwood is sacked and I can more than understand the majority of fans calling for it. 

But at the same time I really don't see it changing anything. I think the biggest problem at our club is the looser mentality that goes through everyone, from the owners and the board, down to the fans (and I assume Doris the tea lady). We can bring in a different manager, even one with a winning mentality, but he'll soon be dragged down to our level.

I'm not saying the manager doesn't need changing, just that that alone won't solve our biggest problem.

• Like 2

I'm not going to shed any tears if Sherwood is sacked and I can more than understand the majority of fans calling for it. 

But at the same time I really don't see it changing anything. I think the biggest problem at our club is the looser mentality that goes through everyone, from the owners and the board, down to the fans (and I assume Doris the tea lady). We can bring in a different manager, even one with a winning mentality, but he'll soon be dragged down to our level.

I'm not saying the manager doesn't need changing, just that that alone won't solve our biggest problem.

I agree with the loser mentality holding the club back, but Sherwood's ace in the hole was playing to Benteke's strength last season.

Why then do we see so few crosses when we play Gestede up front? The loser mentality is one thing, but setting the team up poorly is more at fault.

Â