The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

No, we actually had loads of chances in that game and missed them. We had one off target shot today, woeful.

Yeah, because they were a League Two side. I'll never forget the way Lambert acted like a ten year old playing Football Manager and basically just put four strikers up top to be hoofed to for the remainder of the game after they equalised in the second-leg. It literally doesn't get lower than that.

• Like 2

The disappointment of losing a FA Cup final, especially given our circumstances, is far worse than the embarrassment of losing a League Cup Semi Final to a lower league side.

Its really not far worse. They are both an equally big shit stain on this clubs recent history. 

Really poor performance, at the end of another really poor season. Very happy we stayed up, and I will give Tim my support and see what he can do with signings and a full preseason with the players. 

Looking forward to preseason already. :)

fantastic job making us stay up. and today was just a bonus game really and happy we managed to get it. Am i confident he could actually take us that much further? Not really.

I don't want to blame the fans at all as they were brilliant today but just watched midlands today and one fan coming out was just happy to be at Wembley and couldn't care less about the result. 

oh come on. get a grip. we was playing arsenal. we was expected to lose by a decent amount. We dont get to wembly much. Let people "be happy to be there" and stop moaning about them. (also was you there today? lol at moaning at people spending money however they like when im guessing you didnt bother? even if you did...who cares.. that isnt why we lost. pathetic argument/viewpoint )

We played at Wembley the grand total of 6 weeks ago and played there twice in 2010. It's hardly a one in 50 years experience lower league teams like Walsall get.

The fans were brilliant today as they usually are away from home, I just hate the whole mentality we should just be happy we're on the same pitch on these stages, you don't tend to win trophies that way tbh.

• Like 1

The disappointment of losing a FA Cup final, especially given our circumstances, is far worse than the embarrassment of losing a League Cup Semi Final to a lower league side.

Its really not far worse. They are both an equally big shit stain on this clubs recent history. 

Of course today is far worse. Today we were one result away from winning a much more prestigious trophy than League Cup will ever be. If we'd have won today it would have our biggest result since the European cup. Losing against Bradford was bad but it just meant we missed out on playing the final of the League Cup.

Tim Sherwood is a brilliant manager and we would be playing championship football next season if it wasn't for him, i would be devastated if we got new owners and they decided to sack him.

Arsenal was brilliant today and we had a off day, these things happen in football, even in a cup final.

Bring on next season!

• Like 1

Of course today is far worse. Today we were one result away from winning a much more prestigious trophy than League Cup will ever be. If we'd have won today it would have our biggest result since the European cup. Losing against Bradford was bad but it just meant we missed out on playing the final of the League Cup.

Arsenal full of world class players.

Bradford beat us over 2 legs with a bunch of players assembled on frees and loans.

• Like 1

For me it doesn't matter who we're playing, for me, losing a FA Cup final, especially given the fact we haven't won that trophy for over fifty years will always be more disappointing than losing a League Cup semi final.

Edited by useless

Tim Sherwood is a brilliant manager

is he? hes barely managed enough games to be classed as a "brilliant manager"

This. Until he completes a full-season as a manager he remains unproven.

Not sure what has happened since the Southampton game, other than maybe our fragile confidence took a beating. The players reverted to Lambert style - Benteke isolated and our play was slow one dimensional. The last 3 performances have been so so different from the dynamic play we have seem in the games previous, and I can't believe that the manager has instructed that change of style. Maybe the long season of struggle has caught up with the players. Noticeable, Delph and Cleverly havn't been driving into the box as they were before Saints away.

In hindsight, perhaps he should have started with Gabby, as he seemed have an injection of pace when he came on. But when he picked the team, I thought he'd made the right selections, even by including by Hutton and being slightly more conservative.

I don't blame Tim, he went with the right intentions - of trying to take the game to Arsenal, but we were caught horribly short, and this is definitely worse than our 2 previous cup final defeats. 

Despite this though, I still think the future is bright under Tim - a smash and grab victory today (or a victory similar to the semi-final) might have papered over some cracks and let to under investment in the Summer. I don't think Tim is now in any doubt as to the task in front of him and the changes required. As he has said previously, we are a horribly unbalanced squad.

From today's team, I suspect Tim will keep looking to keep Benteke, Delph, Cleverly, Grealish (and Gabby and Sinclair from the subs). Add to that Clark and Baker. Everyone else I think is up for grabs.

Richardson probably had his best game for us, but I suspect that Tim has been playing midfielders at fullback out of necessity rather than desire, and I would be surprised if he continued with it next season, regardless of Bacuna's attacking contribution. 

Fair play to him - he handled his post match interview well again. Regardless of his managerial skills, he is still very much a likeable manager, and that will stand him in good stead for the obvious rollercoaster ahead.

Keep the faith Tim, you've earned yourself a summer and at least until Xmas to show us what you can do.

• Like 3

No matter how he set the team up today, we would have lost. For all I saw today, his team pick was ok, gabby sub was a good call made a few minutes after half time.

He should have kept Richardson and westy on I think.

As for letting some players go, rightly so.

Next year I would only like to see Clarke, Delph, Cleverly, Westwood, Grealish, Sinclair & Benteke in our shirt. The rest can go.

Edited by Mic09

Â