The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

You can only play with the cards you are dealt,you can win sometimes with bluff but in the end the good card players find you out,al la today.

New owners,investment from them and start with a clean sheet on 8th August, we need at least 6 new quality players in the summer make no mistake about it.

His only press response so far is: "They need to learn to be winners"

Think he is bang on to be honest, we looked like a bunch of losers out there today and I think the occasion completely overwhelmed the entire team. A lot of work to be done.

Ah yes just learn to be winners. What a nonsense response. I'm not going to blame him for our defeat today, we all expected to lose. It was the way we lost, no confidence, no plan and we were humiliated. Sure the players should take their share of the blame but he has to also. We shouldn't bother getting to another final, it's horrible being humiliated like this

• Like 1

All sorts of things, not least Arsenals excellence - they barely misplaced a pass - and I suspect our players hungover after the huge effort the last few weeks.

BUT.....as a fairly pro Sherwood fan I have given him huge credit for getting the best out of the players....having given him that credit I have to then say that he clearly hadn't been able to do that today....so there has to be some portion of responsibility down to him....can't have it both ways.

Not sure he is to blame for the pointless crossing, players should see that for themselves, and hes never previously sent us out to aimlessly cross - seemed a mentally tired option.

And Arsenal really were good.

Dissappointing but got a few good weeks of joy and hope out of it all.

Roll on august !

• Like 1

You can only play with the cards you are dealt,you can win sometimes with bluff but in the end the good card players find you out,al la today.

New owners,investment from them and start with a clean sheet on 8th August, we need at least 6 new quality players in the summer make no mistake about it.

True though we aren't good enough to ignore players like Guzan and Gil, or even Cissokho. I'm a bit worried about his 'all or nothing' approach as it seemed to happen at Spurs too. Still, he's still young and got a transfer window to mould the squad how he likes.

We just never seem to believe on these cup final days.

I don't want to blame the fans at all as they were brilliant today but just watched midlands today and one fan coming out was just happy to be at Wembley and couldn't care less about the result. Surely that's the mentality of a lower league minnow but our last three cup final performances have been reflected of a plucky lower league team just happy to be on the same pitch.

I also think the players today assumed this would be like the Liverpool game. Well Arsenal have a lot more quality than Liverpool and pass it far quicker and they found that out soon enough.

I do think Sherwood has it bang on, he's won enough games in the league since he's been in to be backed and yes we do need to try to rid the loser mentality in this squad otherwise we wouldn't go on these ridiculous winless and scoring streaks.

I just hope he dosen't kick out all the foreigners as some of the british players in our squad are just as bad.

fantastic job making us stay up. and today was just a bonus game really and happy we managed to get it. Am i confident he could actually take us that much further? Not really.

I don't want to blame the fans at all as they were brilliant today but just watched midlands today and one fan coming out was just happy to be at Wembley and couldn't care less about the result. 

oh come on. get a grip. we was playing arsenal. we was expected to lose by a decent amount. We dont get to wembly much. Let people "be happy to be there" and stop moaning about them. (also was you there today? lol at moaning at people spending money however they like when im guessing you didnt bother? even if you did...who cares.. that isnt why we lost. pathetic argument/viewpoint )

Edited by gharperr

I don't particularly blame Sherwood today as if anyone can motivate a team for a big occassion, it's him.

These players are seriously questionable. They lack any sort of commitment, fight or passion and it's time we were shot of most of them.

The only thing that's going to save us is investment and a HUGE clear-out.

I really don't buy the players lacking fight or passion argument. If that was the case we certainly wouldn't have stayed up.

It's the player's talent. That's where the problem lies. They just aren't good enough.

• Like 3

To be fair to the players I think it's been a game or three too far after all the effort they put in to keep us up and get to the final. The only person more knackered than them was the ref who looked spent after an hour. How he got the cup final is beyond me. Sherwood really needed to use the squad a bit more than he did, let's hope he learns from it.

• Like 2

We were humiliated by a very good team playing at the top of their game. But it should show Sherwood where our inadequacies lie, and give him an indication of what is required over the summer. Too many players were poor today. Benteke was to be the guy to give us a chance, but he was outplayed by Mertersacker. No one will be coming in with a £32.5m bid on that performance. But the service to him was poor. N'Zogbia is not good enough, and Grealish was ineffective against very good players - a learning experience for him. Sherwood should surely have started Bacuna in lieu of Hutton to get service into Benteke. And his substitutions; Sanchez for Westwood? Why? Agbonlahor for N'Zogbia? Rubbish for rubbish! Needs to buy in for that position. Thought Vlaar and Okore were ok, but we really needed Clark. Given and Richardson, I thought were our best players. A lot of re-building to do by the manager - hopefully he is up to the job.

I'm not sure that, as a villa fan, I've ever been as embarrassed by a performance as I was by today's.

Still think the Bradford semi-final a couple of seasons ago was worse.

By miles.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that, as a villa fan, I've ever been as embarrassed by a performance as I was by today's.

Not for me.

We were poor against Bradford but at least we looked like we tried. Or remotely wanted it.

By miles.
No, we actually had loads of chances in that game and missed them. We had one off target shot today, woeful.

The disappointment of losing a FA Cup final, especially given our circumstances, is far worse than the embarrassment of losing a League Cup Semi Final to a lower league side.

I'm really disappointed. Crushingly so. It just felt so close before kick off, but we seemed miles off the pace.

I think we need to sign maybe 5 new players... The team needs an overhaul. And we're no where near good enough to ignore players like Gil and Cissohko.

Â