The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Some might say he's a bluffer. 

He's shown enough in his 15 league games to suggest he can win plenty of games for us in the league next season with his style. We'll take a few beatings of course aswell as we also did in O'Neill's time.

I'd liken him to Garry Monk who took over Swansea at a similar time last season, didn't have a great record but this season he's been excellent. They also lost Bony mid season before the inevitable Benteke probably leaving point gets raised which of course will be a massive testing point early in his managerial career.

Apparently, he has told players they won't be here next season. Not sure if it was pre/post match.

Eh?
Looks like it's true. Henry Winter amongst other journo's reporting the same quote from Sherwood.

Told them in the dressing room after the game apparently. Fun trip back on the bus.

@henrywinter: Sherwood: "Some of the boys have been told they will not be here next year and they can go and find other clubs."

Edited by wazzap24

@henrywinter: Sherwood: "Some of the boys have been told they will not be here next year and they can go and find other clubs."

I thought our history over the past few years tells us that it doesn't quite work like that (for those under contract)?

• Like 1

Gutless performens, poor selection, poor tactics, not one player nor Sherwood can hold their heads up after that shambles, embarrising.. will give sherwood til the next season before I judge him to much, but not being able to motivate his team for a fa cup final for a man who's strenght seemed to be motivating is extremely poor. He needs an impressing transfer window and a good start next season otherwise I see fans turning on him quite quickly. Today most have been the worst club performance for any team ever at the new Wembley, absolutaly awful.  

No, we actually had loads of chances in that game and missed them. We had one off target shot today, woeful.

Yeah, because they were a League Two side. I'll never forget the way Lambert acted like a ten year old playing Football Manager and basically just put four strikers up top to be hoofed to for the remainder of the game after they equalised in the second-leg. It literally doesn't get lower than that.
Yeah that was bad, doesnt mean sherwood ain't bad also.

Just seen it on Sky news.

It was in response to being asked 'when does the process begin for changing the squad (or something like that anyway)'

Sherwood said something like; "it already has, some of the boys have already been told they won't be here, or can find new clubs"

He then said something about being fair and honest with 'experienced players'

Ended with "we will be bringing players in"

No, we actually had loads of chances in that game and missed them. We had one off target shot today, woeful.

Yeah, because they were a League Two side. I'll never forget the way Lambert acted like a ten year old playing Football Manager and basically just put four strikers up top to be hoofed to for the remainder of the game after they equalised in the second-leg. It literally doesn't get lower than that.
Yeah that was bad, doesnt mean sherwood ain't bad also.

We've had a lot of enjoyable league games under Sherwood, that's enough for me at this stage as ultimately next season he'll be judged over 38 league games rather than a cup competition as disappointing as today was. His Liverpool performance was also very good even though we found out today Arsenal are on a different planet compared to Liverpool football wise.

My worry is this result will put a downer on the whole club this summer especially if Benteke leaves aswell. It was the beginning of the end for John Gregory when he lost the 2000 cup final, he certainly lost a fair bit of the fanbase for that performance and I think deep down most of us knew the writing was on the wall for MON after losing the league cup final although I doubt few thought he'd do it on his own dramatic terms.

Sherwood deserves more leeway though as christ we've just had 4 year of McLeish and Lambert so I think the bloke deserves more time purely as he's threatening to bring entertaining football back to Villa Park for first time in 5 years.

He's going to come out with stuff like that because he needs to say something to appease the fans. In reality though I'd be surprised if signed more than three or four players and spent more than say £12M, unless we sell Benteke in which case we'd probably spend some of that money.

• Like 1

Bombsquad 2

But i'm not sure how many we'll manage to actually shift

Cole and Senderos will be hard to shift as they have another year and are both old and injury prone

Zog and Given we will probably be stuck with

Helenius, Tonev, Sylla definitely gone

Cleverly off to Everton, Benteke off - I hope Vlaar follows but he might still get a contract

Lowton, Cissokho I imagine we can sell

Gardener, Bennett, Robinson may at least get the pre-season to show if they have a future

Bacuna, Westwood, Richardson might survive the cull

Grealish, Baker, Okore I think also will stay, Sinclair obviously and hopefully Delph but you wouldn't bet on him not getting his head turned soon

Hutton, Gabby, Guzan, Sanchez will go if anyone wants them

Gil to probably, unless Tim has other plans.

From Sky Sports website...

Tim Sherwood to axe Aston Villa flops after FA Cup loss to Arsenal

By Stephen Mills at Wembley

Last Updated: 30/05/15 9:33pm

Tim Sherwood will axe several of Aston Villa’s under-performing players this summer after their FA Cup dreams were crushed by Arsenal at Wembley.

Goals from Theo Walcott, Alexis Sanchez, Per Mertesacker and Olivier Giroud saw Arsenal romp to a 4-0 victory in a game which saw Villa fail to register a meaningful shot on target.

The disappointment came after Villa finished one place above the relegation zone in the Premier League and Sherwood has already told some players that they now have no future at Villa Park.

After the match he said: “There will be some changes.

“There will be as many as we can possibly do. We obviously know we need to improve and I think I can improve the group that are already here as well.

“I’ve done that since I’ve come to the club and I need to start improving a few more and find different ways to play, which suits some of the boys who haven’t played today.

“We’ll start immediately. Some of the boys have already been told they won’t be here next year or they can go and find other clubs. I like to be that honest with them.

“I don’t want to let experienced players be strung along because I don’t think it’s right. We will be bringing in additions.”

A dejected Sherwood paid tribute to Aston Villa’s supporters for standing by their team after several seasons of disappointment.

And he admitted he felt “sick” watching Arsene Wenger and his players lift the trophy that he had set his heart on winning.

“I feel sick and so do the boys in there,” he added.

“You can only know how good winning feels when you have to watch a team walk around with the cup at the end of a game. We don’t want to be going up those steps first.

“This team has scraped relegation for the last four seasons and that’s not good enough for a team like Aston Villa so we have to improve. We need to add to the squad, but not only that the group in the dressing room need to get better.

“We need to change some of their mentalities because they are quite used to losing football matches, which is not a good habit.

“The fans were great today and they have been fantastic all season. We are just sorry we couldn’t give them anything to cheer about today.”

Edited by Supervillan78

...find different ways to play, which suits some of the boys who haven’t played today...

Gil? :P

Has he been on VT?

Otherwise, who's he on about?

Yes I was about to highlight that comment and who he was talking about. I suppose the obvious one is Scott Sinclair. In games we play 4-4-2 next season he'll start.

I'm not sure that, as a villa fan, I've ever been as embarrassed by a performance as I was by today's.

You are able to choose one! There have been so many in recent seasons that I cannot actually choose one.

...find different ways to play, which suits some of the boys who haven’t played today...

Gil? :P

Has he been on VT?

Otherwise, who's he on about?

I think he might mean Gil. I also think Sinclair. Other than that, not sure who he is referring to.

In general, I don't think he wants our width to always be provided by the full backs, but he hasn't really had a choice as we don't really have any genuine wide players. We've been playing Grealish and Nzogbia as no.10s as part of Xmas tree formation.

Yeah time to get ruthless with them tbh

No Mercy

Clean out the fridge get rid of the players not good enough to wear the shirt

It's only a short step from this to 'clearing out the deadwood' and then I'm going to have to go off and find a puppy to drown.

Â