The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Why are people so sure he's gonna get the sack? Surley if we win the Swansea game he is staying, no?

I think you're right - Fox seems to be looking for any opportunity to keep Sherwood so that he doesn't look a total plum for signing such an inexperienced manager. 

If we did beat Swansea, I think he would need a point from either Spurs, MC and Everton to remain in post (and aviod any real drubbings) , then the Watford game would be make or break - Lose and we're 8 points from 14 games = Sack, Draw 9 points for 14 games = Sack, Win 11 points from 14 games and we stumble on

• Like 3

Why are people so sure he's gonna get the sack? Surley if we win the Swansea game he is staying, no?

I think you're right - Fox seems to be looking for any opportunity to keep Sherwood so that he doesn't look a total plum for signing such an inexperienced manager. 

If we did beat Swansea, I think he would need a point from either Spurs, MC and Everton to remain in post (and aviod any real drubbings) , then the Watford game would be make or break - Lose and we're 8 points from 14 games = Sack, Draw 9 points for 14 games = Sack, Win 11 points from 14 games and we stumble on

I would say your analogy is pretty much spot on. A win this week buys him another two or three games and given who those games are against a point or two from them will be enough to keep him in charge until the Watford game which will be a must win.

It feels to me now that he is at a crossroads and either he gets a result this week or he is out. I got to be honest I am not fussed either way as if he starts getting results then great and if he doesn't he will rightly be shown the door and we hopefully bring someone in who can get us some positive results.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

We've not got a stellar squad by a long way but we have got enough to sitting comfortably (lower) mid-table.  Reality is starting to kick in for Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford and their squads are being stretched by the requirements of the PL - they are begining to fall down the league and it is vital that Fox pulls the trigger now to give the new guy a fighting chance of sorting out this mess and building some momentum prior to some winnable games that we have coming up

I don't think we have a good forward who can score goals unless you tailor the rest of the team not to play football and by just hoofing it into him.  He is a player you bring on when 2-1 down with 20mins to go.  A new manager who comes in will have his (or her as nothing surprises me with our management selection) hands tied regards a good out and out forward.  Go through the rest of the prem teams, they all have a top one bar maybe Norwich. Bourn's got injured mind you, which probably has relegated them.   

I agree in part - we are desperate for a decent striker however, I think that 1) we have enough eslewhere to be better than WBA, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Stoke and 2) that there is a difference between playing to your strikers strengths ie. getting wide and whipping some crosses in versus hoofing it from the halfway line

At the moment we are pretty poor but it would only take a little organisation, a simple philosophy which we stick to and a more settled line-up to see a return of confidence that could see us get enough points to claw our way up the table

• Like 1

Mon, houllier, McLeish and Sherwood have all been backed and had a fair crack at being manager here, the problem is that the people doing the hiring havnt got the right types of manager on board, I mean Houllier was finished, McLeish had just relegated the blues, Sherwood had less than 6 months experience. Lambert could of worked out but they gave him no proper backing and it eventually broke him being constantly fighting against the odds. Just for once I wish they would pay what it takes to get a decent manager with good pedigree and back him properly.!

No fan of McLeish at all, but I don't feel he was "backed"

He used the money he was given to give Shay a 5 year deal and then there is Nzogbia...

Enough said!

Only a matter of time now. He's done, which is a shame as I felt this had some potential to be different. But we'll end up with another Sherwood, lambert or mcleish. Someone who will have the odd good moment but ultimately will do nothing at the club. No good manager, who has the ability to build something, will touch this club at the moment. The new guy will be our 5th manager in just over 5 seasons of football, that to me shows that something is very wrong at this club. 

How so?  We've had a rebuilding project ever since the MON overspend days (as discussed at huge lengths).  Since the problems were (finally) realised, we've basically had to survive.  We're now at a point where we can kick on.

The problem is that we've got Sherwood in charge.  Any other manager, and I mean any, could be doing the job Sherwood is doing.  The next guy will be better.  Our squad isn't a bottom 3 squad anymore IMO.

• Like 1

Be sucide to leave it until Watford game. Swansea has to be his last game unless we completely spank them 4-0 then you cant really sack him.

But back to those earlier quotes from sherwood when he signed the players from lique 1. Didnt he also say he knew about Adama from a while ago?? He is blaming anyone but eevryone except himself. 

Fox seems to be looking for any opportunity to keep Sherwood so that he doesn't look a total plum for signing such an inexperienced manager. 

Is he? Based on what?

I think a lot of Sherwoods current problems stem from a bit of imbalance in the personnel we currently have.

Rudy is good at what he does but nothing else. He really isnt mobile enough to play upfront on his own. That doesnt just mean he isnt a great hold up man but also he is easily marked out of a game.

He really needs someone up their with him to draw defenders, create space and in general pose more of a threat to the opposition defence.

The problem is that to play two up top you struggle to get both Grealish and Gil into the team and they are our two best players in terms of opening up a side and creating chances.

If we went 4-4-2 neither are really wingers who whip crosses in, if we go with a diamond in midfield one has to miss out. To be honest Sinclair isnt really a whip crosses in type of guy either so Traore is the only option there and I get the sense he isnt ready to start games at this level yet.

If we go 4-2-3-1 as we have been doing the balance is all wrong. Grealish and Gil are looking to play through teams by finding pockets of space but that all comes to a grinding halt when we get near the box as Rudy offers no intelligent movement at all. Nothing against the guy it just isnt his game.

Wondering whether dropping Rudy and trying Ayew up top on his own may work? He at least offers some good runs but its a steep learning curve for him.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

If we beat Swansea, and surely we're due a win, then we're probably stuck with him for a while longer. I was hoping for some news today. He seems to have been 'dead man walking' for a while now, I wish he'd hurry up and get to where he's walking to.

• Like 4

Personally I think a lot of Tim's current problems are based on the fact he is a tactical simpleton. 

He doesn't know what to do and even when he stumbles across a formula that gets us into promising positions he can't then make the subtle changes required to maintain a winning position. 

He bought the players - he must have had a plan for the system he then wanted to use them in 

• Like 2

Mon, houllier, McLeish and Sherwood have all been backed and had a fair crack at being manager here, the problem is that the people doing the hiring havnt got the right types of manager on board, I mean Houllier was finished, McLeish had just relegated the blues, Sherwood had less than 6 months experience. Lambert could of worked out but they gave him no proper backing and it eventually broke him being constantly fighting against the odds. Just for once I wish they would pay what it takes to get a decent manager with good pedigree and back him properly.!

No fan of McLeish at all, but I don't feel he was "backed"

He used the money he was given to give Shay a 5 year deal and then there is Nzogbia...

Enough said!

As they say hindsight is 20/20 vision - again I'm no fan of McLeish but a minus £20m net spend indicates that he wasn't "backed"

• Like 1

i agree, i think he's a tactical simpleton yet all his changes has led to confusion amongst the players as to what they are supposed to be doing, our players look lost half the time, i also think our players look completely drained of confidence, look at the weekend, we were on top, better team, 1 mistake 1 goal the next 60 minutes was like a training match for chelsea, before that vs the likes of west brom we dont win a single 50/50 or second ball, opposition teams simply want it more than we do

i think right now we look exactly the players look exactly the same as they did in the last days of lambert

• Like 2

Be sucide to leave it until Watford game. Swansea has to be his last game unless we completely spank them 4-0 then you cant really sack him.

But back to those earlier quotes from sherwood when he signed the players from lique 1. Didnt he also say he knew about Adama from a while ago?? He is blaming anyone but eevryone except himself. 

I'll have a small wager that should we beat Swansea even 1-0 then he will be in post for the Spurs game

• Like 1

Fox seems to be looking for any opportunity to keep Sherwood so that he doesn't look a total plum for signing such an inexperienced manager. 

Is he? Based on what?

Based on the fact that he hasn't sacked him yet!  He is giving him every possible chance to succeed because otherwise it reflects badly on him. 

I'd be interested to know how many PL managers have survived a run of 4 points from the last 33 available

If we beat Swansea, and surely we're due a win, then we're probably stuck with him for a while longer. I was hoping for some news today. He seems to have been 'dead man walking' for a while now, I wish he'd hurry up and get to where he's walking to.

I don’t think he has been a dead man walking for a while though has he. He did what was asked of him last season and some by getting us to a cup final. Over the summer there was a huge turnover in players and I am sure those above Sherwood factored in the fact it may take some time for them to gel so he was always likely to be given some grace.

I know some have been clamouring for him to be sacked for a number of weeks now but even post Stoke I was 100% convinced he would not be sacked. Eight games into the season would not be seen as him having been given a fair crack of the whip.

I think he is drinking in last chance saloon now though and needs a positive result on Saturday. Of course there is a chance that those above may see ten games as not being enough but I just think 4 points from 10 games would simply be a bridge too far and given the three following fixtures and the likelihood things would not improve any time soon he will be shown the door.

Is he? Based on what?

Based on the fact that he hasn't sacked him yet!  He is giving him every possible chance to succeed because otherwise it reflects badly on him. 

I'd be interested to know how many PL managers have survived a run of 4 points from the last 33 available

I think that's quite presumptuous. We all thought Sherwood had earned the right to have a crack at this season.

I'd hardly call 9 games into the season giving the manager every chance!

Personally I think a lot of Tim's current problems are based on the fact he is a tactical simpleton. 

Combined with not being able to keep his stupid mouth shut.

Whats the saying....best to let people think you are an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

• Like 1

Â