The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Pulis made representations to the club over the summer*, keen to make a step up from the wee, blighted baggies. At the time the club was like, no tks, we're alright tks, but would seem a smart move to me, situation we're in right now.

* Allegedly or whatever I spose for legal reasons, but it ain't really, it's well sourced, trust.

Edited by Ghostdog

Aside from Sherwoods rambling one of the things I find disturbing about that Daily Mail piece is that they state a press officer denied Sherwood the opportunity to answer questions surrounding our summer recruitment policy. Why would the press guy step in and not allow that? It suggests to me that there is conflict with in that area and that Sherwood perhaps wasn’t allowed to bring in the players he wanted. If there is nothing to hide then why stop questions being asked. 

This whole saga is turning into a farce quite frankly. It also concerns me that if there is a committee that decides on which players to buy then you will get a lot of managers not willing to work in such circumstances. You can guarantee Allardyce wouldn’t have come in and I would have my doubts that Moyes would work under such a structure. These guys usually want total control and rightly so in my book as it is their necks on the block when things go wrong.

So why did he take the job if he knew about all this? Give over mate, the guy is taking us for a ride while dragging the club through the mud whilst he protects his own image.

Give over? I am not defending him. You can’t defend the indefensible and the diabolical start we have had is indefensible. I agree if he knew what he was signing up to then he should never have taken the job if he wasn't happy with the structure he would be working under.

My concern isn't really with Sherwood though. My concern is with who comes in and replaces him and I am certain that there are managers that will not work under a structure where they don’t have control of which players you bring in. Managers like Allardyce want total control of the footballing side. I also imagine that Moyes would want to work that way. For me as I said previously if you don’t trust a manger to decide on which players to bring in then you shouldn't employ him.

The same debate was had at Albion - no decent manager would work under the structure they had. Yet they lured the bloke who won manager of the year from the previous season. 

I don't think a strong manager will have issues with structure - He will be strong enough to get his own way  (most of the time) 

I don't think whats happening at villa is anything other than a network of scouts suggesting players to Sherwood......

So in actual fact Fox has done a good job in implementing such a system?

At least that is my interpretation. As for "burying his head in the sand" you have no solid evidence for that whatsoever. Only that he hasn't done exactly what you personally want him to do, which seems to consist solely of hiring Pulis or Allardyce.

I feel that he acted as quickly as he was allowed to do so in removing Lambert. He acted quickly in hiring the man who kept us in the league last season. Quickly and efficiently built the backroom, quickly and efficiently signed the players we needed in the summer and the axe is about to fall on the man he himself bought in only 8 months ago.

You can look at some of those decisions as mistakes if you like, I certainly don't think Sam Allardyce is/was the only manager available to us capable of keeping us in the league, as neither was Tony Pulis. But mistakes, maybe. Burying his head in the sand though? Absolutely no chance. I don't buy that for a second.

Anyway, back to Sherwood. I hope this is the end of the road, but I accept that it's not as simple a process as we might like. I'm pragmatic even if the manager isn't (his words!).

Yes - If hiring guys to scout players was Tom Fox's idea then yes. (personally I seem to recall us having scouting staff ever since I started watching villa some 40 odd years ago)

I think he's missed a trick with Allardyce, Yes

We he (Tom Fox)  do the right thing in a timely manner ?  I've got serious doubts, lets wait and see...

First off do the players or even the back room staff like TS? I very much doubt it, I mean come on, we've all worked for a Sherwood. Some blagger who is way out of his depth, doesn't listen to the people who have experience in the areas he doesn't, gets defensive when challenged on  mistakes he s making and when it all goes down the toiilets throws various employees under the bus. I bet the players hate him to be honest, and we're asking 'what does Wilkins do', at a rough guess makes suggestions he ignores.

As for why the club haven't sacked him, I wonder (hope dear god please) if he does have a clause in his contract where he gets the boot if he goes 9 games without a win, or 7 losses in a row etc. If he does it would explain, first off why he''s one of the highest paid managers in the PL wth zero experience and secondly why the 2 game rumour is flying around

It also explains his suicidal quotes to the press.

Anyway probably more wishful thinking than anything but I really hope it's true - oh and that the club doesn't bring in Nigel Pearson as a replacement!

Edited by Thevillanofoz

I was 100% he would be here until after the Swansea game.  After his latest comments, i think he could be gone sooner, especially having a game 4 days after it which doesn't give a new man much time.

Boy the players must hate him, the way he slates them every opportunity he gets.

Only a matter of time now. He's done, which is a shame as I felt this had some potential to be different. But we'll end up with another Sherwood, lambert or mcleish. Someone who will have the odd good moment but ultimately will do nothing at the club. No good manager, who has the ability to build something, will touch this club at the moment. The new guy will be our 5th manager in just over 5 seasons of football, that to me shows that something is very wrong at this club. 

• Like 1

Only a matter of time now. He's done, which is a shame as I felt this had some potential to be different. But we'll end up with another Sherwood, lambert or mcleish. Someone who will have the odd good moment but ultimately will do nothing at the club. No good manager, who has the ability to build something, will touch this club at the moment. The new guy will be our 5th manager in just over 5 seasons of football, that to me shows that something is very wrong at this club. 

This!

Mon, houllier, McLeish and Sherwood have all been backed and had a fair crack at being manager here, the problem is that the people doing the hiring havnt got the right types of manager on board, I mean Houllier was finished, McLeish had just relegated the blues, Sherwood had less than 6 months experience. Lambert could of worked out but they gave him no proper backing and it eventually broke him being constantly fighting against the odds. Just for once I wish they would pay what it takes to get a decent manager with good pedigree and back him properly.!

We've not got a stellar squad by a long way but we have got enough to sitting comfortably (lower) mid-table.  Reality is starting to kick in for Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford and their squads are being stretched by the requirements of the PL - they are begining to fall down the league and it is vital that Fox pulls the trigger now to give the new guy a fighting chance of sorting out this mess and building some momentum prior to some winnable games that we have coming up

• Like 3

Mon, houllier, McLeish and Sherwood have all been backed and had a fair crack at being manager here, the problem is that the people doing the hiring havnt got the right types of manager on board, I mean Houllier was finished, McLeish had just relegated the blues, Sherwood had less than 6 months experience. Lambert could of worked out but they gave him no proper backing and it eventually broke him being constantly fighting against the odds. Just for once I wish they would pay what it takes to get a decent manager with good pedigree and back him properly.!

No fan of McLeish at all, but I don't feel he was "backed"

No fan of McLeish at all, but I don't feel he was "backed"

He wasn't, had a negative net spend, still managed 1 point per game during his time here, better than Sherwood's 0.91PPG.

We've not got a stellar squad by a long way but we have got enough to sitting comfortably (lower) mid-table.  Reality is starting to kick in for Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford and their squads are being stretched by the requirements of the PL - they are begining to fall down the league and it is vital that Fox pulls the trigger now to give the new guy a fighting chance of sorting out this mess and building some momentum prior to some winnable games that we have coming up

I don't think we have a good forward who can score goals unless you tailor the rest of the team not to play football and by just hoofing it into him.  He is a player you bring on when 2-1 down with 20mins to go.  A new manager who comes in will have his (or her as nothing surprises me with our management selection) hands tied regards a good out and out forward.  Go through the rest of the prem teams, they all have a top one bar maybe Norwich. Bourn's got injured mind you, which probably has relegated them.   

Â